** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Vorpal

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Vorpal »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Vorpal wrote:So perhaps, we should let the younger generations decide the matter. Those under 30? They're the ones who have to live with it.

Really? Looking at current longevity patterns, my fitness and my family l could have another 45 years and I'll probably be working for 20 of those. Long time not to have a say.

Yeah, me too. But I don't have any say at the moment, and it doesn't seem I had any a couple of years ago either. :(
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Vorpal wrote:
crazydave789 wrote:something better than the EU which we never voted to join in the first place.

So perhaps, we should let the younger generations decide the matter. Those under 30? They're the ones who have to live with it.

and what do they know? :wink:
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Vorpal wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:
Vorpal wrote:So perhaps, we should let the younger generations decide the matter. Those under 30? They're the ones who have to live with it.

Really? Looking at current longevity patterns, my fitness and my family l could have another 45 years and I'll probably be working for 20 of those. Long time not to have a say.

Yeah, me too. But I don't have any say at the moment, and it doesn't seem I had any a couple of years ago either. :(

I'll start to feel more sympathetic when US immigration starts to be more sympathetic. And I'm not talking about Trump. Both my sister and a good friend had problems with entry to work and live in the US respectively. This was prior to the WTC attacks in 2001 but their experiences can only be described as abominable.

Frankly America hasn't been 'welcoming' for decades, l don't think it would stand well in comparison with most European countries.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Ben@Forest wrote:I'll start to feel more sympathetic when US immigration starts to be more sympathetic. And I'm not talking about Trump. Both my sister and a good friend had problems with entry to work and live in the US respectively. This was prior to the WTC attacks in 2001 but their experiences can only be described as abominable.

Frankly America hasn't been 'welcoming' for decades, l don't think it would stand well in comparison with most European countries.

I don't know what the US has to do with it, but the immigration system has been broken there at least since the Reagan administration. The current fiasco is a bad, bad convergence of previous administrations not fixing a broken system, and Trump.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
stu1102

Post by stu1102 »

lets remind ourselves how goods move inside the customs union [which is what we have now] and outside of the customs union

'The car industry has warned Theresa May there is “no Brexit dividend” for the business, with 860,000 jobs being put at risk unless the government “rethinks” its red lines in negotiations.

In the starkest warning yet from a single business sector, the car lobby has told the government that it needs “as a minimum” to remain in the customs union and a deal that delivers “single market benefits”.
“There is no Brexit dividend for our industry,” Michael Hawes, chief executive of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, said.
It said Brexit uncertainty was thwarting investment and repeated calls for the UK to stay in the customs partnership until the government came up with a “credible plan B”.

The sector had grown for the eighth successive year with turnover at a record £82bn in 2017. However it said 2018 has showed a slowdown in output with investment earmarked for new models, equipments and facilities in the UK halving to around £347m.'

source;

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... r-industry
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:
Vorpal wrote:
crazydave789 wrote:something better than the EU which we never voted to join in the first place.

So perhaps, we should let the younger generations decide the matter. Those under 30? They're the ones who have to live with it.

and what do they know? :wink:

Probably more than folk who regard the Spectator as a reliable source of information.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
stu1102

Post by stu1102 »

deep joy...…….or maybe its fake news

but not to worry lets turn to Eurotunnel how's the Brexit planning going

There is no space” for customs checks at Dover and Channel Tunnel “literally on the cliff edge” says Eurotunnel boss John Keefe - need to process inland...

'contingency planning for ports British Ports Association Richard Ballantyne: “How do you plan for something you don’t know what to plan for?”

all on track...
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bad for the motor industry?
Plus One!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Apropos of a random but related intervention, I am 2/3 of the way through reading 'Adults in the Room' by Yanis Varoufakis, who you may remember was the academic who became Finance Minister of Greece, and who attempted to stop the cycle of loan-default imposed on Greece by the international institutions.

It makes sobering reading, and provides an inside view of the EU and others' behaviour when challenged. It is a worthwhile read.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, One basic point first? The voters of GB have never had a vote to join the EU ! The original referendum was over remaining in the EEC, a very different body from the Junkers/Tusk bailywick.
The freedom of transfer of goods under the open market is quite a recent development, not very long ago it was a weird mix of practises.
Imagine having to dispatch lorries & buses in component form to European markets? Different countries had different rules, so yes, a vehicle would have to be crated & dispatched to Belgium in component form!
Some countries even demanded that things like tyres & tubes were not included, as the home market wanted that slice of cake.
So when firms like BMW talk about component sourcing it is all of their own making!
Protectionism will always be the result when folk talk of trade tariffs. Their will never be a truely open market, honesty goes out of the window as well! TTFN MM
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:Apropos of a random but related intervention, I am 2/3 of the way through reading 'Adults in the Room' by Yanis Varoufakis, who you may remember was the academic who became Finance Minister of Greece, and who attempted to stop the cycle of loan-default imposed on Greece by the international institutions.

It makes sobering reading, and provides an inside view of the EU and others' behaviour when challenged. It is a worthwhile read.

I haven't read it but have heard Varoufakis speak on economics and the EU a number times both on tv and on Youtube.
He's pro-remain but reform from within and against the austerity plan this mad government insists is working when everyone knows isn't.
More voices and minds Iike his would be welcome in the current brainless government running the show.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Apropos of a random but related intervention, I am 2/3 of the way through reading 'Adults in the Room' by Yanis Varoufakis, who you may remember was the academic who became Finance Minister of Greece, and who attempted to stop the cycle of loan-default imposed on Greece by the international institutions.

I haven't read it but have heard Varoufakis speak on economics and the EU a number times both on tv and on Youtube.
He's pro-remain but reform from within and against the austerity plan this mad government insists is working when everyone knows isn't.
More voices and minds Iike his would be welcome in the current brainless government running the show.

I agree about Varoufakis.
Reform from within.
No one ever said the EU in it's present form is perfect but better to stay at the table in Brussels and negotiate reform.

Gain allies through clear arguments put forward and be democratic.
More could be achieved for our Nation in that way IMHO.
stu1102

Post by stu1102 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

I agree about Varoufakis.
Reform from within.
No one ever said the EU in it's present form is perfect but better to stay at the table in Brussels and negotiate reform.

Gain allies through clear arguments put forward and be democratic.
More could be achieved for our Nation in that way IMHO.

I would agree with everything eloquently stated above....I would add one more thing

Professor Brian Cox has stated ;

Arguements for and against ref. on final deal complex and important. We’re a parliamentary democracy for good reason. However, if held on known exit terms and leave commanded majority, I’d back it as settled, informed decision. That’s my argument for having one'

I would agree
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Reading his book has made me less convinced that we would have been able to reform from within.

I also expect further Machiavellian twists before this is done.
stu1102

Post by stu1102 »

for some reason this photo of Brexit supporters celebrating in Sunderland on the day of the referendum result is always with me...

lets see....

'Nissan employs 7,000 people at its Sunderland plant and supports almost 30,000 more in its supply chain, the vast majority of which is based in the North East.The company confirmed in April that it has started discussions with employees, aimed at reducing the number of permanent salaried positions at the plant. Nissan bosses had previously vowed to work with the Government to secure the long-term future of the firm’s Sunderland plant after Brexit.There was also relief and joy in October 2016, just a few months after the Brexit vote, when Nissan announced it would build two new models - the Qashqai and X-Trail - in Sunderland. But Mr Ghosn later said the company would "re-evaluate the situation" once the final deal is concluded Read more at: https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/bus ... 1-9225210'

more celebrations....

indeed rejoice, rejoice as Ian paisley was doing attending the party at 10 Downing Street celebrating the Signature

Last edited by stu1102 on 29 Jun 2018, 10:15pm, edited 1 time in total.