Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Post by Mick F »

Sweep wrote: sounds nice and checking out that streetview pic it looks great, but what was the beer like? I must admit I tend to distrust anything with the word "fare" in it, especially if there is a superfluous "y" chucked in. Thanks for the taunton info.
I had three pints of Butcombe bitter. No complaints in the slightest. Very nicely served from a proper hand pump without using a stupid sparkler. Only minor issue is that they served it in Doom Bar glasses.

They sold Doom of course........... horrible stuff.

I saw the Butcombe as soon as I walked in, and zoomed right in on it. Nice beer. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

given how strident Tim Martin is about his politics, and how he seeks to make his chain embody these, it seems entirely reasonable to avoid the pubs on these grounds.

Yes, there is a fair bit of snobbery about Spoons, and they're certainly not all bad; they're welcome champions of real ale, the food is cheap and cheerful, and many of the buildings are interesting. But unless the only options are other chain pubs (Hungry Horse, Harvester's, etc.) I can't imagine actively seeking them out. Despite the fabric of many of the buildings, the interior layouts tend to the 'massive noisy drinking shed', the beer, while reliable, is rarely outstanding, and I prefer to give my money to independent landlords and not Tim Martin. Try looking at what the Good Beer Guide has for your destination, and 99% you'll find something more pleasant for a quiet pint.
PH

Post by PH »

TrevA wrote:
PH wrote:
TrevA wrote:The HQ for a recent audax I rode was the Acorn Inn in Lichfield - a Wetherspoons pub.

So you did. Did you do the 120 or 200 at Lichfield?

I had the pleasure of the Van of Delights at Hulme End on Saturday's Lutudarum audax . Nice to sit and enjoy a cup of tea and cake in the car park, but only because the weather was good.

I did the 200, a pleasant ride though the nagging headwind on the return made the pizza even more welcome. Hope you enjoyed whichever one you did. I think I've done the 100 previously, though there have been major changes to the 200 so there may also have been to that route.
I've not sampled the Van of Delights for a couple of years, it brightens up any car park. The Peak audaxes at the weekend looked good, if they hadn't clashed with York rally I'd have done one.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

JakobW wrote:Yes, there is a fair bit of snobbery about Spoons, and they're certainly not all bad; they're welcome champions of real ale, the food is cheap and cheerful, and many of the buildings are interesting. But unless the only options are other chain pubs (Hungry Horse, Harvester's, etc.) I can't imagine actively seeking them out. Despite the fabric of many of the buildings, the interior layouts tend to the 'massive noisy drinking shed', the beer, while reliable, is rarely outstanding, and I prefer to give my money to independent landlords and not Tim Martin. Try looking at what the Good Beer Guide has for your destination, and 99% you'll find something more pleasant for a quiet pint.

Agreed.
1. I prefer not to support him. I agree with Michael O'Leary of Ryanair on Brexit but I also avoid using Ryanair due to its poor staff practices and because MOL is also loud and obnoxious.
2. Him indoors is a publican (landlord of the family pub) and supporting local family pubs is far better for the local economy than any chain. We support local (as in round the corner) businesses through our food sourcing and all meals are home made, not out of a preprepared box.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

MrsHJ wrote:
JakobW wrote:......and I prefer to give my money to independent landlords and not Tim Martin......

Agreed.
1. I prefer not to support him. I agree with Michael O'Leary of Ryanair on Brexit but I also avoid using Ryanair due to its poor staff practices and because MOL is also loud and obnoxious.

(Hoping I have not mis-represented through selecting what I thought relevant excerpts from comments)

It does raise an interesting question about supporting (and providing profits) to prominent people "we don't like". For example, I would never buy anything from an Arron Banks company, knowing I'd be helping his wealth and thus indirectly contributing to e.g. UKIP and his anti-EU campaigns. Same with people like Weatherspoon boss. He can be outspoken and provide funding or support to organisations I disagree with because of the money he makes through his company. Thus, spending money at Weatherspoons helps create the circumstances that allow him disproportionate voice for things is disagree with and thus I'll not help enable it.

Ian
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mick F wrote: Very nicely served from a proper hand pump without using a stupid sparkler. Only minor issue is that they served it in Doom Bar glasses.

I saw the Butcombe as soon as I walked in, and zoomed right in on it. Nice beer. :D

No accounting for taste. I know some chaps who love Doombar. Not particularly keen on it myself though.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

MrsHJ wrote:
Agreed.
1. I prefer not to support him.

Up to you which businesses you use of course

I hesitate to get into the Brexit thing (I voted remain albeit with severe reservations about aspects of Europe and am also more interested in finding good pubs with good beer where I can see my bike) but I do remember reading pre the vote an editorial of his in the house mag. I remember nothing "obnoxious" in it - it was well argued. I also remember that the piece several times quoted Tony Benn and have no reason to think that Tony Benn was being misquoted out of context. I have nattered to several folk who voted for Brexit, none obnoxious. Some what I would describe as leftie liberal.

Pubs do it is true face many challenges these days but I don't honestly think that spoons can be blamed for damaging pubs. The difficulties faced by pubs are causes by a whole raft of issues over the last few decades.

Other spoons recommendations which are handy for a bike welcome - a nice list growing.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Mick F wrote:I had three pints of Butcombe bitter. No complaints in the slightest. Very nicely served from a proper hand pump without using a stupid sparkler. Only minor issue is that they served it in Doom Bar glasses.

:)

Clearly someone who likes their beer and knows about it. I do sometimes drink Butcombe beers - decent but not my first choice. Agree totally with you about Doom Bar. Spoons went along with its brewer's plan for a while to market it as a premium priced beer but more lately have given up I think and price it only a tad more than the other guest beers.

Maybe more customers may see real sense and gravitate over the next few days towards the guest beers and ciders - latest news that the Strongbow and John Smiths taps are running dry :)
Sweep
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

pete75 wrote:No accounting for taste. I know some chaps who love Doombar. Not particularly keen on it myself though.
Bill Sharp was know locally. Mrs Mick F knew him personally when she worked in the pub industry.
Sharp's beers were wonderful. Note the word "were". Sharp's Own and Cornish Coaster were lovely but I avoid Sharp's beers nowadays and many people I know do too. When Bill brought out Doom, it was ok. Nice beer ............. then they changed it.

Bill sold his business to Coors, the US company, and their recipes changed. You can buy Doom Bar almost anywhere in the world. It's bland and boring.
Many pubs round here refuse to sell it, in fact one of them uses it as advertising that they DON'T sell Doom Bar.
I know one only pub locally that sells it, but as it's down by the river, they get a lot of tourists, and they ask for it.
http://www.tamarinn.com
Mick F. Cornwall
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Mick F wrote:
pete75 wrote:No accounting for taste. I know some chaps who love Doombar. Not particularly keen on it myself though.
Bill Sharp was know locally. Mrs Mick F knew him personally when she worked in the pub industry.
Sharp's beers were wonderful. Note the word "were". Sharp's Own and Cornish Coaster were lovely but I avoid Sharp's beers nowadays and many people I know do too. When Bill brought out Doom, it was ok. Nice beer ............. then they changed it.

Bill sold his business to Coors, the US company, and their recipes changed. You can buy Doom Bar almost anywhere in the world. It's bland and boring.
Many pubs round here refuse to sell it, in fact one of them uses it as advertising that they DON'T sell Doom Bar.
I know one only pub locally that sells it, but as it's down by the river, they get a lot of tourists, and they ask for it.
http://www.tamarinn.com

I once had a very, very, bad night in a Cornish Pub

Cycling the South coast back from Lands End and stopped at the Old Success on the first night

It was bad...

A very fine pint of the original Doom Bar, some fine gentlemen singing songs land a fundraising night for the RNLI

They “forced” me to drink lots of beer, sing lots of songs, drink more beer, sing more songs... you get the idea

Cornish Hospitailty is a fine thing, but needs a health warning
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

We were having a discussion after the Chaingang, in the (Wetherspoons) pub last night, with some people moaning that we always go to the same pub. We discussed some of the alternatives in the local villages, but the point was made that a pint in Spoons is £2 to £2.30. Elsewhere it's getting on for £4 for the same beer. We usually have a couple. The food is also more expensive. So a couple of pints and a pizza for less than a tenner, suddenly becomes £15 or more. We do this twice a week and the cost starts to mount up.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

MrsHJ wrote:2. Him indoors is a publican (landlord of the family pub) and supporting local family pubs is far better for the local economy than any chain. We support local (as in round the corner) businesses through our food sourcing and all meals are home made, not out of a preprepared box.

Would you care to say exactly where your pub is?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Psamathe wrote:It does raise an interesting question about supporting (and providing profits) to prominent people "we don't like". For example, I would never buy anything from an Arron Banks company, knowing I'd be helping his wealth and thus indirectly contributing to e.g. UKIP and his anti-EU campaigns. Same with people like Weatherspoon boss. He can be outspoken and provide funding or support to organisations I disagree with because of the money he makes through his company. Thus, spending money at Weatherspoons helps create the circumstances that allow him disproportionate voice for things is disagree with and thus I'll not help enable it.

Ian

Mr Martin has in the past stated anti Brexit folk are not welcome in his pubs. He's also believed to be the source of finance for the EDL.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cunobelin wrote:Cornish Hospitailty is a fine thing, but needs a health warning
:D :D
Mick F. Cornwall
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
MrsHJ wrote:2. Him indoors is a publican (landlord of the family pub) and supporting local family pubs is far better for the local economy than any chain. We support local (as in round the corner) businesses through our food sourcing and all meals are home made, not out of a preprepared box.

Would you care to say exactly where your pub is?

It's in Dartmouth. Land of boats, pasties and very steep hills.