George III Penmaenpool

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
thirdcrank

George III Penmaenpool

Post by thirdcrank »

This hotel has been mentioned a few times on here, partly because it's strategically placed alongside the Mawdach trail between Dolgellau and Barmouth.

It's changed hands a few times and I last went when it was having a poor run under a chain whose name I cannot remember. I've just been looking at it again on the internet and anybody who's thinking of passing that way might be interested to read some recent reviews on Trip Advisor.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Rev ... Wales.html

This is part of the reply said to be from the manager to a cyclist who complained about rudeness:-
Needless to say none of the bar staff were rude to you or anyone on Saturday. You just feel they were as you didn't get the answer you wanted.

It's always hard to know who to believe in these cases, but the review immediately before that one has the title "Sarcastic manager."
reohn2

Re: George III Penmaenpool

Post by reohn2 »

By shear coincidence we stopped off there on Monday for liquid refreshments,whilst retracing part of the route of a previous tour we'd done a few years ago.
We met another tandem couple outside who were just leaving,there were no reports of any fights breaking out and we were served with a smile at the bar :) but I don't think it was the manager who served us :wink: .
I can't report anything but positive on this brief visit,and the Mawdach trail has some beautiful views along it added to by the beautiful weaher :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

There was a terrible accident here in July 1966.
I was fishing upstream, but unaware of what had happened until the evening.
I never forgot it though.

The then landlord of the George saved a lot of lives that day through quick thinking.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penmaenpool
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Trip Advisor et al are a problem as there are genuine poor results and false ones.

I remember a couple demanding a 15% discount to their bill or they would write a bad report...... it does happen

I love this example:

[youtube]zlmarLZpsyQ[/youtube]
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Penmaenpwll is almost as beautiful as Penmaenmawr (trains still stop at 'mawr on request)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies