Pendleton Again

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Re: Pendleton Again

Post by Tangled Metal »

Aaaah, yes! That's the place.

So it's it true about the free food if you've summitted?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

If it's your profession then it's a game of ghosts. You're colleagues will deplete one way or another.

Another guy I met was a good climber who was sponsored to do the big four alpine North faces. He did it. However you'd think That would lead to a career doing it but I get the impression he gave the high end stuff up. Ended working on Cumbria and giving back through the local MRT and then SARDA.

Met him through a guy we both knew on a bit of a jaunt up a scramble (on the walk in). Then he answered the call out for us when two got caught in a stupid little rock fall caused by thawing ice. Really nice guy unlike some of the high end climbers/mountaineers I've come across. BTW that call out shows things happen even in our little hills and even experience won't stop sh1t happening at times. At least walking off Cumbrian fells is a possibility not an impossibility like on the death zone
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-alti ... in_humans-

"High-altitude adaptation in humans is an instance of evolutionary modification in certain human populations, including those of Tibet in Asia, the Andes of the Americas, and Ethiopia in Africa, who have acquired the ability to survive at extremely high altitudes. This adaptation means irreversible, long-term physiological responses to high-altitude environments, associated with heritable behavioural and genetic changes.

While the rest of the human population would suffer serious health consequences, the indigenous inhabitants of these regions thrive well in the highest parts of the world. These people have undergone extensive physiological and genetic changes, particularly in the regulatory systems of oxygen respiration and blood circulation, when compared to the general lowland population.[1][2]

This special adaptation is now recognised as an example of natural selection in action.[3] The adaptation account of the Tibetans has become the fastest case of human evolution in the scientific record, as it is estimated to have occurred in less than 3,000 years.[
"
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Ppl living in the andes also have an adaptation to alcohol. That and the leaves they chew.
broadway

Post by broadway »

mercalia wrote:
broadway wrote:
mercalia wrote:
I thought everest climbers used oxygen aids? silly woman

Maybe you should ask yourself why "silly woman" is the right thing to say.

silly girl then?

And what about the rest of the team, were they silly people too?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Do people from the Andes or Himalayas have health problems if they settle in Settle?
I mean in the lowlands :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I was wondering that also. do they explode or some thing? get the reverse bends?
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Tangled Metal wrote:Aaaah, yes! That's the place.

So it's it true about the free food if you've summitted?

I believe so.

There is a area on the wall for Everest summeteers to sign their name.
Any one can buy a paper shaped foot to stick on the wall signed by your expedition members.
Even some well known mountaineers have done it, I saw Joe Simpson and Mal Duff's name on one.
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

'Into Thin Ice' is a good, though grim, read about Everest, though fair to say not everyone who was there that season agrees with all of it.
It left me angry with celebs and wealthy people who buy their way into it when they simply are not up to the job, so other people, including Sherpas, end up dead trying to look after them.

Risk is just stupid if it is not weighed up and minimised for an activity, even climbing Everest. That doesn't mean never doing anything risky, just that there is nothing clever about risk in itself.

One problem is that when lack of oxygen kicks in, judgement goes out the window, so it is vital to have carefully weighed up limits to a plan (like how late you can afford to summit) and not to go beyond them.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

mercalia wrote:I was wondering that also. do they explode or some thing? get the reverse bends?

No idea, but I suppose they might be more likely to suffer from things like strokes? Anyone know if there is any data?
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Flinders,I think you mean "Into thin air" by Jon Krakauer,like you say,a harrowing account of tragedy on Everest.
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Flinders wrote:
mercalia wrote:I was wondering that also. do they explode or some thing? get the reverse bends?

No idea, but I suppose they might be more likely to suffer from things like strokes? Anyone know if there is any data?

No they're just better when they are at a lower altitude. That's why athletes go to altitude for training, their aclimatised body is temporarily better when they compete at a lower altitude.
When I came back from 3 weeks at altitude I was significantly faster over one of my timed routes.
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Isn't it something like your blood cells become more efficient at absorbing oxygen, the haemoglobin part that is? Then your keep that for a bit at lower levels until your body becomes acclimatised to the lower level oxygen content.

The issue is if you don't acclimatise well to the higher altitude you can get fluid in lungs or swelling in the brain. Dropping down to a lower altitude is the "cure" or treatment. Sometimes you can go back up to altitude afterwards but not necessarily.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

cyclop wrote:Flinders,I think you mean "Into thin air" by Jon Krakauer,like you say,a harrowing account of tragedy on Everest.

Into the wild by JK is quite good, getting lost in Alaska
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
thirdcrank

Re: Pendleton Again and yet again

Post by thirdcrank »

VP is all over the media this morning with a report that she considered suicide after the Everest attempt. Persist to the end and she's in a new telly programme to be screened in the spring.