SKS Bluemels 35mm Mudguards Still Have Plastic Bridges

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
NetworkMan

SKS Bluemels 35mm Mudguards Still Have Plastic Bridges

Post by NetworkMan »

Just received a pair of SKS Bluemels 35mm mudguards from Bike24 at a good price - 18.14 Euros.
Trouble is they came with same plastic bridge as my 45 mm ones which is no use on a bike with a recessed brake bolt since there is no way of tightening it. The description said all fitting parts in stainless steel so an interesting email exchange (here simplified) ensued:-
Me: These guards should have a metal bridge, SKS make them. I can't fit them to my road bike. It's probably not safe for me to try.
Bike24: You have bought trecking 'guards which are unsuitable. You need these (link to expensive ones specially made to fit racing bike with almost no clearance at all). You can return yours and get credit.
Me: No, I'm happy with what I have I just need a metal bridge (enclosed photo of metal bridge complete with SKS logo). If you don't have one I can buy one locally.
Bike24: OK you do that and we'll refund you the cost!

That's what I call service. Is it any wonder these German companies get so much business with service like that at such low prices.
horizon

Re: SKS Bluemels 35mm Mudguards Still Have Plastic Bridges

Post by horizon »

When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

horizon wrote:Just for background:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=122696&hilit=bridge

Yes thanks, I saw your thread. When the plastic bridge turned up I thought it looked dodgy with my deep drop Shimano brake and Brucey thought so too in your thread.
I just noticed that on the cardboad package SKS still refer to the 35mm model as "Olympic Racer" which IIRC is the old British Bluemels name! Funny that they make it impossible to fit their "Racer" 'guard to a not very racy Dawes Audax!
iow

Post by iow »

are the metal bridges designed to fit recessed brake bolts?
mark
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

iow wrote:are the metal bridges designed to fit recessed brake bolts?

sort of; they fit between the brake and the frame, rather than between the nut and the frame.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Why couldn't you fit the plastic bridge the directly behind the brake? How does a metal bridge change the fixing position with a recessed bolt?

Not entirely sure I follow the logic
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the metal bridge has a 6mm wide slot (so fits over the 6mm brake bolt) but the recessed nuts are 8mm diameter, with a small flange that is itself often fitted in a recess. If you enlarge the slot in the metal bridge to 8mm it still isn't a good job.

If you try to use the plastic bridge you have the choice of a brake that is not secure (because you can't tighten the nut properly) or a broken plastic bridge. Crap design. I have no idea what they were thinking of.

cheers
GuyBoden

Post by GuyBoden »

My SKS plastic bridge snapped after a few years, so, I drilled two holes into the bottom of mudguard and fastened two strong cable ties over the brake bridge. It's a very strong and tight solution.

When I recently purchased a new pair of 35mm SKS mudguards for my other bike, I didn't use the plastic bridge, I used the cable tie method instead.
robgul

Post by robgul »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SET-OF-TRADI ... SwjDZYY~UB - problem solved.

... or go to the tip/recycling depot and find a bike with mudguards and metal clip

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

GuyBoden wrote:My SKS plastic bridge snapped after a few years, so, I drilled two holes into the bottom of mudguard and fastened two strong cable ties over the brake bridge. It's a very strong and tight solution.

When I recently purchased a new pair of 35mm SKS mudguards for my other bike, I didn't use the plastic bridge, I used the cable tie method instead.

I wondered about doing that too. Did you need to reinforce the 'guard to stop the cable ties from tearing or cracking the plastic? I guess not if the fix has lasted a while without.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Shows how often I buy mudguards. I have never seen SKS Bleumels with anything but metal bridges. I suppose I am fairly gentle with fitting and do not take them on and off all the time a some do. Once they are on they are on for probably 10 years or more. I keep a supply of old fittings, removed from scrap mudguards, because they may be useful - one day
robgul

Post by robgul »

tatanab wrote:Shows how often I buy mudguards. I have never seen SKS Bleumels with anything but metal bridges. I suppose I am fairly gentle with fitting and do not take them on and off all the time a some do. Once they are on they are on for probably 10 years or more. I keep a supply of old fittings, removed from scrap mudguards, because they may be useful - one day

Your last sentence sums up what I do with ALL parts I have removed from bikes in the past 20 years or so . . . some (a few!) have proved useful.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

NetworkMan wrote: ….Did you need to reinforce the 'guard to stop the cable ties from tearing or cracking the plastic? ...

it (like bridge longevity anyway) depends on how the mudguards are fitted; in some cases there is a substantial load on the bridge all the time, in others not. It is always possible to come up with soemthing that works (and zip ties beneath a broken metal bridge usually works fine BTW) but it is not at all difficult to make something far stronger than any OE bracket, with a neglibile weight penalty.

cheers
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I have always replaced broken bridges with an L-shaped bracket riveted to the mudguard (like the one fitted as standard to the front mudguard) in the correct position for fitting between the brake and frame. I fasten it in position under the brake first, then line up and mark the mudguard for drilling. Thin washers on the underside of the mudguard spread the load and prevent cracking.

I make the brackets out of scraps of stainless steel or aluminium.

I haven't had a standard bridge fail for a while. Maybe that's just luck.