** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pwa

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote:
pwa wrote:
pete75 wrote:
He'd be better off doing something about it rather than joking. Greedy in eating as well as in politics.

I assume you extend that judgement to anyone else who is carrying excess weight.

That someone like that should do something about their weight - yes and almost all health professionals say the same. It's also costing the NHS a lot and teh amount is predicted to rise as more and more get type 2 diabetes. That a belly like that comes from greed in food and/or drink - yes.

We all have our demons and I imagine that bloke knows all that you know about overeating related illness but struggles to control his eating due to psychological reasons. Comfort eating related to stress, or something like that. Just calling it "greed" is admitting that you don't want to go any deeper into understanding the underlying problems. It is "greed", of course, but probably greed that is generated by psychological issues more difficult to deal with that just choosing not to have that next cake. He does also live around the corner from an excellent pub, which may be a factor.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote:
pete75 wrote:
pwa wrote:
I assume you extend that judgement to anyone else who is carrying excess weight.

That someone like that should do something about their weight - yes and almost all health professionals say the same. It's also costing the NHS a lot and teh amount is predicted to rise as more and more get type 2 diabetes. That a belly like that comes from greed in food and/or drink - yes.

We all have our demons and I imagine that bloke knows all that you know about overeating related illness but struggles to control his eating due to psychological reasons. Comfort eating related to stress, or something like that. Just calling it "greed" is admitting that you don't want to go any deeper into understanding the underlying problems. It is "greed", of course, but probably greed that is generated by psychological issues more difficult to deal with that just choosing not to have that next cake. He does also live around the corner from an excellent pub, which may be a factor.

Glad you agree his fine figure is the result of greed.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Perhaps a suitable point to step in - albeit off the main topic?

I have a bit of a problem 'amidships' too - today's BMI measurement still obstinately hovering around 31 :( . Am I qualified, or even entitled, to pass comment on other people's apparent obesity?

As it happens, I had the results of my blood-test a week or two ago, and it turns out that I am not type-2-diabetic. At least, not yet. My doctor has, however, warned me that if my HbA1C does pass over the dreaded '48' threshold, it'll need to be well below that figure for months before I'm given the all-clear. If that happens, I think I'd owe it to myself, to society at large, and the NHS, to make every effort to get the figure down myself without recourse to medical intervention. We'll see.....

As to not over-eating: only those who have tried their best - and failed - will understand, maybe. It's easy to talk about 'diets'. People understand dieting. The problem is, a diet isn't for life. What's needed here is a permanent change of habits. So far I've not done enough.

Back to the guy being discussed in the above posts. I've plenty of grounds for castigating him, because of his politics, his pomposity, his bigotry especially. Castigate him about his waistline, I will not....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pete75

Post by pete75 »

661-Pete wrote:Back to the guy being discussed in the above posts. I've plenty of grounds for castigating him, because of his politics, his pomposity, his bigotry especially. Castigate him about his waistline, I will not....

His waistline goes with the rest - fat, smug, greedy Tory.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

pete75 wrote: fat, smug, greedy Tory.

And the thread begins to drift imperceptibly back towards the topic ………………
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote:
pwa wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Glad you agree his fine figure is the result of greed.

So is mine :lol:
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

FWIW . I won't castigate him over his waistline either, just (almost) everything else.
pwa

Post by pwa »

PDQ Mobile wrote:FWIW . I won't castigate him over his waistline either, just (almost) everything else.

Very fair.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

quote of the day

Danny Dyer begins by observing that Brexit is a riddle. “So what’s happened to that t w a t David Cameron, who called it on?” he wonders. The inquiry turns out to be rhetorical, as the Real Football Factories legend expands: “He’s in Europe, in Nice with his trotters up, yeah? Where is the geezer?! I think he should be held account for it. He should be held account for it.”
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mercalia wrote:quote of the day

Danny Dyer begins by observing that Brexit is a riddle. “So what’s happened to that t w a t David Cameron, who called it on?” he wonders. The inquiry turns out to be rhetorical, as the Real Football Factories legend expands: “He’s in Europe, in Nice with his trotters up, yeah? Where is the geezer?! I think he should be held account for it. He should be held account for it.”

It could have gone the other way, Cameron might still be pm,.. :D
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Brexit is for The Little People

"In the 1980s, the hotel tycoon Leona Helmsley earned immortality when she encapsulated the philosophy of the coming generation of oligarchs with the cry: “We don’t pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes.” "

" They must suffer the falls in income and the lost jobs, while the men who led them can follow Jacob Rees-Mogg by setting up an investment fund in Ireland or imitate Arron Banks and run their businesses from,Gibraltar. "

"The rich, and I include the high-born and equally anti-European Marxists at the top of Labour, can treat a country as a playground because they do not know the fear of losing their livelihoods. However the game ends they won’t lose."

so true of Cameron as he joyfully sang on leaving office

:shock: About time politicians were made responsible for their actions. Have a quillotine nearby.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/30/brexit-tax-avoiding-citizens-of-nowhere-migrate-to-malta?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=279764&subid=7646217&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
Debs

Post by Debs »

Tony Robinson, "I have a cunning plan"

https://youtu.be/EUHkkwzP6M0

Please don't forget to sign the petition!
Link below...

https://www.peoples-vote.uk/petition
stu1102

Post by stu1102 »

Significant planning is going on to prepare the NHS for the prospect of a no-deal Brexit, including securing continuation of medical supplies, the head of the health service has said.
Concerns have been raised that if Britain leaves the EU without a deal, disruption to imports of drugs and medical equipment could cause widespread hardship to patients. There are currently 37m packs of medicine coming from the EU into the UK every month, according to the Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... eal-Brexit

dont worry Gove and Johnson are quite prepared to leave without a deal as there medical insurance will cover them for anything
pwa

Post by pwa »

stu1102 wrote:Significant planning is going on to prepare the NHS for the prospect of a no-deal Brexit, including securing continuation of medical supplies, the head of the health service has said.
Concerns have been raised that if Britain leaves the EU without a deal, disruption to imports of drugs and medical equipment could cause widespread hardship to patients. There are currently 37m packs of medicine coming from the EU into the UK every month, according to the Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry.

dont worry Gove and Johnson are quite prepared to leave without a deal as there medical insurance will cover them for anything

Just a bit of admin. They get medicines from outside the EU too with no problems.
broadway

Post by broadway »

pwa wrote:
stu1102 wrote:Significant planning is going on to prepare the NHS for the prospect of a no-deal Brexit, including securing continuation of medical supplies, the head of the health service has said.

Just a bit of admin. They get medicines from outside the EU too with no problems.

You must be an expert, I assume I can ignore you.