Brakes on a Galaxy - and more!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Ambermile

Brakes on a Galaxy - and more!

Post by Ambermile »

OK, just bought a S/H Galaxy and it has caliper brakes... I have around here somewhere a set of XT V Brakes and was *almost* at the point of swapping them out when I had a niggling thought that I was missing something. A bit of brain-twisting and I had it - I had heard/read that this sort of brake levers would probably not have enough travel in them! Is this true? What can I do if I still want to fit the V brakes - the frame has the bits so it must be an option?

Arthur
Last edited by Ambermile on 23 Aug 2008, 12:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
I make stuff, that's all.
cranky

Post by cranky »

Dia Compe 287V levers are made for V brakes, the 'travelagent' is an alternative that will let you use canti/caliper levers with v brakes.

Search for 'diacompe' or 'compe' or similar. Here's one thread here
Iain

Ridgeback Genesis Day 2
Surly Long Haul Trucker
Si

Post by Si »

the 287v levers have conflicting reports as to how good they are (as do travel agent type devices for that matter). Some people find they work well, others hate them.

however, recently two more companies have produced V brake specific drop bar levers. I've not tried them but early reports suggest that they may be better than the 287vs.

Now you'll want to know who makes these levers and what the model names are won't you? I wish I could tell you but my head isn't working today. I think one might be made by techtro but couldn't say r sure.

Anyway, if you are using STI or Ergo then these levers won'tbe much good to you unless to also swap to another form of gear shifting.
Ambermile

Post by Ambermile »

Hmm, sounds like we are talking about different bikes here! This one has Weinmann levers/calipers... some pics:

Those brake levers incidentally are almost impossible for me to reach, (from any position), do they look odd to you lot?

Arthur

PS - yes, it needs a bit of work but hey, for the price I am loving it - gobsmacked by the weight, or lack of it!
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

I assume that someone has simply replaced the original cantilevers with side pull calipers. The levers would no doubt pull the former - but almost certainly NOT vs. If you are keeping the d/t shifters, then "all" you need are some of the drops for Vs mentioned above!
robgul

Post by robgul »

Looks like you're confused here ... the brakes pictured cannot be replaced with V brakes without brazing on some stops for them on the fork blades (not rally a proposition, and the paint will be destroyed)

If you are concerned about stopping power then a "dual pivot" calliper brake will improve that ... and the existing levers will work fine.

Rob

(I think you are getting confused with "cantilever" and "V" brakes which can be changed ... and yes the levers are not compatible)
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

The braze ons for Cantis are still there. It's not a simple case of putting your Vs on I'm afraid.

So you have some options

1. Leave it as it is
2. Change the levers to V-brake compatible ones and use your v-brakes
3. Get travel agents and fit V-brakes
4. Change the calipers to modern dual-pivot ones
5. Get Tektro CR520 Froglegg style cantis - these are very good

I only know about 5 as I've got these on the front of my tourer and they are great.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Ambermile

Post by Ambermile »

robgul wrote:Looks like you're confused here ... the brakes pictured cannot be replaced with V brakes without brazing on some stops for them on the fork blades (not really a proposition, and the paint will be destroyed)

You have me there - why can the V brakes not be fitted? The mounting points are there...

Arthur
CJ

Post by CJ »

It looks like rather an old Galaxy, in which case the cantilever studs might have originally fitted Mafac or Weinmann cantilevers, which had their pivots placed much closer to the rim than the modern, messed-about-for-mountain-bikes distance.

When newer cantilevers or Vs are fitted to old-design studs it is often found that the brake blocks cannot be positioned low enough (or cannot hit the rim straight at least) and that the brake arms must rotate outwards beyond their intended orientation, so that cantilever straddles don't fit right, or so that Vs stick out crazily to the sides, and so that the return springs on either become ineffective.

I see you already have some Vs, so before buying anything else I suggest you temporarily remove that old sidepull brake, fit some blocks to the Vs see if they can be positioned right and whether the return springs will work. (Actually, the long springs on those Shimano Vs can be "manually adjusted" and probably be made to work anyhow!)
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
pigman

Post by pigman »

2 reasons the brake levers might appear awkward to use
1. the handlebars look to have a very deep drop - I'd hazard a guess and say these didnt come with the bike originally. If they did, then it was bad speccing, as they look deep enough for track racing.
2. the levers look fairly old and certainly not ergonomic in modern terms, so might be more difficult to use than modern levers.

Have you thought about straight bars?
Ambermile

Post by Ambermile »

Here's what I should have done in the first place - tried it out! (Thanks for the "nudge" CJ :oops: )

To be honest, it looks like they are indeed sticking too far out, although the springs are still effective. Pity, looks like I am going to have to go after some decent canti's instead :cry:

CJ wrote:It looks like rather an old Galaxy

Hey - for £50 I won't complain about the age 8)

pigman wrote:
Have you thought about straight bars?

I have a bike with straight (well, sort of straight) bars - I bought this one because it was more in tune with road work rather than the converted MTB.

pigman wrote:2 reasons the brake levers might appear awkward to use
1. the handlebars look to have a very deep drop - I'd hazard a guess and say these didnt come with the bike originally. If they did, then it was bad speccing, as they look deep enough for track racing.
2. the levers look fairly old and certainly not ergonomic in modern terms, so might be more difficult to use than modern levers.

Bars are Sakae Custom (Japan) SR Road Champions...

Arthur
robgul

Post by robgul »

Ambermile wrote:
robgul wrote:Looks like you're confused here ... the brakes pictured cannot be replaced with V brakes without brazing on some stops for them on the fork blades (not really a proposition, and the paint will be destroyed)

You have me there - why can the V brakes not be fitted? The mounting points are there...

Arthur

Apologies - I didn't peruse all the pix in detail - yes the bosses are there. BUT why on earth did someone fit callipers ??

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Ambermile

Post by Ambermile »

robgul wrote:... why on earth did someone fit callipers ??

Rob

You got me there Rob - it's making a mockery of having a QR wheel too!

Arthur
cranky

Post by cranky »

Which hole on the brake boss are you using ? It's normally the middle one and my V brakes stuck out like that when I used the wrong one.
Iain

Ridgeback Genesis Day 2
Surly Long Haul Trucker
Ambermile

Post by Ambermile »

Doesn't matter Iain, if you look you can see they are held together with a rubber band... the pads are touching the rims.

Annoying, 'cos I love XT stuff :(

Arthur