Brunstrom: was he really different?

Cyril Haearn

Brunstrom: was he really different?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Richard Brunstrom was the chief constable of North Wales Police, he was criticised because he regarded speeders as criminals.

For me he seemed to be a good guy, he learned Welsh and volunteered to be tasered (it hurt and he swore :-))

But: was he really different, or was the whole thing cooked up by his critics? (any figures?).

What is the situation in North Wales now, are speeders still treated as criminals?
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 27 Jan 2016, 5:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
John Holiday

Re: Brunstrom: was he really different?

Post by John Holiday »

Much missed I am afraid.
The police don't appear to have interest or resources to deal with speeding motorists.
The A55 is supposed to be an accident hot spot, but little is done to stop people driving at 90 mph.
Similarly, many of the minor roads are 'race tracks' for motorcycles, putting cyclists & others at risk.
Brunstro was pilloried for highlighting the problem.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

The ins and outs of speeding aside.
I remember that he tested the security of the (his own) headquarters by successfully breaking in using scaffolding erected by builders. Unconventional!
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

He had some oddly liberal views about hard drugs and associated peddlers, gangsters etc. Wasnt hard for his road safety campaigns to get ridiculed in context.
pwa

Post by pwa »

He made himself the story. He liked having his face on TV. I'm not sure whether or not I like that, in a police officer.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Since we are doing the resurrection shuffle, I read an interesting article in the paper that dare not speak it's name which indicated that in evidence to the Welsh Assembly the aforementioned paragon of integrity in all matters regarding road policing admitted that his force did not impose certain elements of the law relating to foreign HGVs for economic reasons, since they would simply transfer their business to Liverpool or another port whose police force did not police to the law.

Not sure what I think about that, nor his being fined in NZ for failure to insure a vehicle (actually I accept that anyone can make a mistake, but then to appeal the sanction did seem a little bit disengenuous to me). :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

greyingbeard wrote:He had some oddly liberal views about hard drugs and associated peddlers, gangsters etc. Wasnt hard for his road safety campaigns to get ridiculed in context.

One wonders whether cops should concentrate on enforcing existing laws, and keep their opinions private
They could express opinions after retiring
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

where is he now?
scarletnut

Post by scarletnut »

Where is he now.....!? Well he is a very positive and keen cycle campaigner!!!