Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Post by Sweep »

THIS is one of its very mild quotes:

"If you drink in Wetherspoons, Be honest, vote UKIP, get a swastika tattooed on your forehead."

You really want more?
Sweep
mjr

Post by mjr »

Remember, that site is cited mainly as examples of the rumours well before Pete.

And yes, of course the various Solidarity movements have an agenda, but at least it's blatant and not inside a pub chain or cycling forum posts. ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mjr wrote:Remember, that site is cited mainly as examples of the rumours well before Pete.

And yes, of course the various Solidarity movements have an agenda, but at least it's blatant and not inside a pub chain or cycling forum posts. ;)

you suggesting I have some sort of hidden agenda?

Mine is:

good beer well served
local beer
cycling
unpretentious calories
unpretentious environment
handy recharging
early opening
easy access for bike and safe stowage while I indulge in above.

And to say it for probably the umpteenth time I have no interest in "rumours" of any sort.
Praps this forum should start an entirely separate rumours thread.
Sweep
ossie

Post by ossie »

They do a lovely pint of Shipyard Ale at my local :wink:
Last edited by ossie on 30 Oct 2022, 11:09am, edited 1 time in total.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Sweep wrote:I meant have you read that site?

It's a remarkable read.

Do you really want me to treat the thread to some of its expletive ridden insights/opinions?

The travellers/fascist thing is a smokescreen.

My local spoons has allsorts in.

One I can think of never buys a drink.

But is tolerated/accepted.

I remember my brother working in a Country Pub in Cambridgeshire. They used to close when travellers moved in locally. Otherwise they would be invade by groups who would run up large bills then refuse to pay knowing that the pub would be unable to do anything about it. Barring Travellers or closing down an establishment is not uncommon due to the widespread illegal activity
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Sweep wrote:I meant have you read that site?

It's a remarkable read.

Do you really want me to treat the thread to some of its expletive ridden insights/opinions?

The travellers/fascist thing is a smokescreen.

My local spoons has allsorts in.

One I can think of never buys a drink.

But is tolerated/accepted.

The fascist thing may well be a smoke screen. Just because the EDL use the pubs it doesn't necessarily mean Wetherspoons condone their views. The traveller thing is a different matter. It happened. Not even Tim Martin is trying to deny that.

Have looked at that website and much of it is much like this , and article attacking health cuts in Dorset and report of groups campaigning about the same. https://wessexsolidarity.wordpress.com/ ... orchester/

Many of the views on that website are no more extreme than the stuff in the Mail,Telegraph, Express or Spectator just from the other side of the political spectrum. They perhaps in more colourful language. So what?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Wimps have found one. Perth
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Oo, looks nice.

Wimps some local cycling group?
Sweep
PH

Post by PH »

Sweep wrote:Oo, looks nice.

Wimps some local cycling group?

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=112068
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The nearest Spoons to me is The Baron Cadogan at Caversham, a great friendly pub with excellent service, always pretty busy with a friendly crowd of locals. Its a short cycle ride. But, Loddon Brewery is only a mile away from here run by the Ex Chief Brewer of Brakspears. What with West Berkshire Brewery and Rebellion at Marlow we really are in tbe promised land as far as great Ales are concerned.
Spoons are a great chain and Tim is a straight talking no nonsense guy who knows how to run an efficient business providing a great service. Despite tbe presence of Spoons the other local pubs seem to do well except for those well out in the sticks with little local trade.
My favourite is the Black Horse at Checkendon, no nonsense old fashioned pub that serves excellent beers and only baguettes run by the same family for about 100 years.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I had never thought about considering where I drink or even my beer on a PC basis. I used to boycott certain brewers, eg Watneys, but that was on their beer/pub/manager/etc policies.

I've just bought a bottle of Lancaster Bomber. Will be pouring it down the drain now as it obviously lauds Bomber Harris and his carpet bombing. I s'pose Spitfire is OK. No more Nelson's Revenge, apparently he had something to do with the slave trade. Black Sheep, is that racist?

Oh, woe is me!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

simonhill wrote:I had never thought about considering where I drink or even my beer on a PC basis. I used to boycott certain brewers, eg Watneys, but that was on their beer/pub/manager/etc policies.

I've just bought a bottle of Lancaster Bomber. Will be pouring it down the drain now as it obviously lauds Bomber Harris and his carpet bombing. I s'pose Spitfire is OK. No more Nelson's Revenge, apparently he had something to do with the slave trade. Black Sheep, is that racist?

Oh, woe is me!

Ironically "Spitfire" was heavily criticised for their advertising campaigns... just a few examples.....

Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Had an awful pint of beer in Wethers this evening........ which was actually good!

There is a young lass who has been there about a week, who served me.... first sip and then "vinegary" taste at the end of a barrel

Pointed it out to her, and one of the other bar staff came over, asking me if I minded waiting for a few moments. He then explained the problem, and that she could never know that a barrel was at the end, so you had to trust the customers. Taught her to smell the beer and explained that that particular smell was genuine.

Pint replaced with alternative.

All in all, a positive experience as they dealt with a potentially difficult situation in an educational and good way
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Si wrote:Alas, they have just had a major make over and now have bouncers on duty at the weekends.

My local used to have them at weekends - perfectly polite and reasonable folks and I only ever saw them in action, very briefly, once. Maybe the area went through a bad patch - I was once to my amusement asked to remove a woolly hat so it could be checked. Haven't had them for ages though, And have never seen any trouble, not even when it was packed out for the England Columbia match where all the violence/pretend violence was on the pitch.
Sweep
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Talking about difficult customers and bouncers - A few years ago there was a banned customer who came back in the following day.... by car!

A drinker thrown out of a pub took revenge by smashing his car through the front doors and driving around inside the bar, causing £300,000 worth of damage.

Customers dived for cover as Stephen Lewry reversed his Vauxhall Cavalier into the pub and crashed into the bar.

Today Lewry, 36, admitted in court that he drove into the Lord Arthur Lee pub in Fareham, Hampshire, destroying tables, chairs and glasses.

Lewry had been barred from the JD Wetherspoon pub the night before for begging for drinks from other customers. Before he crashed his car into the pub he had broken 12 of the building's windows with a large weightlifter's dumbbell.

Witness Chris Diamond, 42, was in the bar at the time. He said: "It was terrifying. The car flew across the entrance and smashed into the bar.

"He was driving around the pub for what seemed like five minutes, pulling three-point turns and taking out pillars.

"I have never seen anything like it. If the pub had been busier he would have killed someone."

It happened half an hour after opening, and only four customers were in the pub. None of them was injured.

Lewry, of Fareham, attempted to escape from the pub in West Street but members of the public restrained him until the police arrived.

Appearing at Portsmouth Crown Court, he pleaded guilty to four charges relating to the incident in May including two of damaging property being reckless as to whether life was endangered, and one of dangerous driving. The case was adjourned for reports and Lewry was also placed under an interim driving disqualification.

His driving could see him jailed when he reappears at Portsmouth Crown Court for sentencing in October.

After today's hearing, Inspector Simon Wrigglesworth of Fareham Police said: "It was a completely bizarre incident and a very serious and frightening one.

"It caused complete mayhem.

"Had there been more people in the pub there was a distinct possibility that someone could have been killed."

Alan Shorthouse, 23, duty manager at the Lord Arthur Lee, arrived at the scene 15 minutes after Lewry rammed his car into the building.

He recalled: "When I got to the pub there was a car in the middle of the room and wood was everywhere. You couldn't tell whether it was chairs or tables. It was all smashed up. It was horrendous."

Mr Shorthouse said one of the members of duty staff was so traumatised she asked for a transfer.