Need a Bike - Newbie

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
MoCycle007

Need a Bike - Newbie

Post by MoCycle007 »

Good Evening All,

Whilst I used to ride a bike on a regular basis around 15 years ago, I have no real knowledge of bikes.
I recently completed a Wiggle Ride, that my friends signed me up for, in Calais (50 miles) - half on a Giant hybrid heavy bike and half on a loaned carbon road bike (still have pain thinking about that ride!).

That ride in Calais has prompted me to -
1. Buy a new light weight bike
2. Commute to work on a bike
3. Get back out in the weekends and go on some on and some off road adventures.

Based on the three points above, I have been told a Cyclocross or a road bike adventure would be the best fit.
I hope to purchase the bike via my cycle to work scheme and therefore have up to 1k to use from this scheme but I am happy to pay upfront an additional £500, taking the full cost to £1500.

A few friends, that are far more knowledgable than I am, have said the following brands are the main ones I should be looking -
1. Giant
2. Specialized
3. Canondale

What would you all recommend in terms of Make, Model, Group and type of bike?

Thanks in advance for your time and help :)
Cyril Haearn

Re: Need a Bike - Newbie

Post by Cyril Haearn »

A thousand is plenty
Best advice is to try different bikes, do not buy yet, wait until you know more and can make your own decision, make sure to get the right size, no need for too many gears :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

To start with does your scheme have restrictions on which shop to use, some do... so best to check first...no point looking at Specialized if you can only source a bike via Halfords.

Only go up to about £1000 for your bike and remember you can also get extras; lights, tools, helmet included... and make sure you do.

Make sure you can fit mudguards and some system to carry a bag and lights... if you are going to commute you will need these.

Try out a few bikes once you know where you can take your vouchers and check for comfort and fit.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
whoof

Post by whoof »

You could contact the person who started this Post to find out the size of their bike and their location with a view to buying as they don't seem to be getting on with it.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123221

Nothing wrong* with the brands that you have listed (*some aren't happy about the ethic of some of them). You may get more for your money going for own brand bikes such as;

Pinnicle from Evans who are also currently doing a trade-in deal.

https://www.evanscycles.com/bikes/cyclo ... ce_inc_vat

Merlin
https://www.merlincycles.com/cyclocross ... kes-75268/

Planet X
https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/roa ... ondon-road
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

Get yourself over to decathlon
Well specced, well priced and good reviews .
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
tempsperdu

Post by tempsperdu »

Think I would add Salsa and Surly to the list.
They are American but as a Fargo rider I can live with that.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Would agree about the £1000 limit for the bike. You are unlikely to notice the difference spending half as much again. What would make the difference to your riding experience is the proper kit. Cycling specific apparel and pertinent accessories are hugely beneficial and can make cycling a comfortable all-year-round experience.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.