Mounting a jetboil on underside of downtube that has no bosses

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
jimbop

Mounting a jetboil on underside of downtube that has no bosses

Post by jimbop »

I'm starting to figure out how to setup my CAADX for some bikepacking trips. I've got a jetboil I bought for some hiking a while ago so figure I should use that. I think it will fit in the underside of the downtube but the tube doesn't have bosses. My googling thus far hasn't revealed a way of mounting it. Anyone point me in the right direction?

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Cyril Haearn

Re: Mounting a jetboil on underside of downtube that has no bosses

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Could you use bottle-cage clips?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
PH

Post by PH »

It is IMO a poor place for it. The neoprene cover will absorb dirt and I wouldn't like to think what muck is going to end up on what is your cooking/eating kit.
I love my Jetboil, had mine since before they were imported into the UK, mine is usually in a saddle bag, but it's also easy to strap on top of something - carradice, pannier or rack. As much as I like it, if I were backbacking and space/weight were a high priority, I'd probably choose something else.
meic

Post by meic »

Is there actually room for it under the downtube?

I find that carrying one litre bottles can come close to the mudguard for some and close to the chainrings for some others. I guess that a Jetboil is wider than a bike bottle.
Yma o Hyd
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Good to see you back meic.

My suggestion would be a modern version of the Primus clip. (Can't link to the epic thread because it was posted under "Wanted" and eventually auto-deleted.)
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

thirdcrank wrote:
My suggestion would be a modern version of the Primus clip. (Can't link to the epic thread because it was posted under "Wanted" and eventually auto-deleted.)

Is there such a thing as a modern version of the famous Primus clip? I've been after one for ages.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I suppose the nearest thing to it might be the Mk1 model of the Bike Buddy, which is intended to hold something like a vacuum flask on a frame without bosses.
http://www.bikebuddy.co.uk/
While it would be no use for a traditionally-shaped pressure stove, it should work well with anything cannister-shaped. The metal straps holding the load have quite a bit of latitude.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

thirdcrank wrote:I suppose the nearest thing to it might be the Mk1 model of the Bike Buddy, which is intended to hold something like a vacuum flask on a frame without bosses.
http://www.bikebuddy.co.uk/
While it would be no use for a traditionally-shaped pressure stove, it should work well with anything cannister-shaped. The metal straps holding the load have quite a bit of latitude.

Thanks but I was hoping you might know of something that would hold a Primus tank.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

pedalsheep wrote: ... Thanks but I was hoping you might know of something that would hold a Primus tank.

Sorry to disappoint you but if I'd had any better info than reminiscence I'd have been in there with it sooner.
==============================================================================

IIRC, the last time round for the Primus clip thread there were pictures of Terry's pump clips, stopwatch clips and cricket bat/ hockey stick clips but none of the legendary Primus clip. Through the wonders of the internet, I offer you this.
https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/h ... ore.30264/
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

For a cage to fit a jet boil I'd investigate ;
Salsa Anything cage
Blackburn outpost cargo cage

Mounting those to the down tube that has no fittings ...
viewtopic.php?t=55064
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

if its an alloy frame then adding rivnuts is an easy thing to do. you need to find a cage for it though then zip tie it in position to see if it fits before going down that road.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Gorilla cage, Salsa Anything cage, Blackburn Outpost cage, attached with something like Zefal Gizmo mounts https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Zefal-Gizmo-II ... 102451.htm
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

crazydave789 wrote:if its an alloy frame then adding rivnuts is an easy thing to do.

Easy. Yes. Reliable? Those frames can be thin .. too thin to take the stress over such a small area. Not be doing that to my bike.
jimbop

Post by jimbop »

Thanks everyone!! With your input and much googleage I have come to these conclusions:

1) Salsa Anything Cage should fit the jetboil or there isn't space then either water or one of my sleeping items (sleeping mat perhaps?) or toolkit. Whatever goes down there will be wrapped in something for protection and i'm unlikely to get into any heavy duty off-road that might damage things mounted down there.
2) there are three mounting systems that I like the look of:
I) Universal Support Bolts, which are pipe clamps with cage bolts on the end. Two or three on those and an Anything Cage should be solidly mounted.
II) Monkii Cage (can't remember the exact product name) but looks good and may even replace my two existing bottle cages because they twist on/off so won't interfere with frame pack but I'm not sure if they are fiddly to use when riding.
III) Anything Cage strapped to the frame just using elasticated straps, or the straps that come with it. I ordered some Blackdiamond Ski Straps, which at first sight look very similar to Voile straps but at half the price, so maybe a couple of those would be sufficient without any pipe clips?
IV) Drill holes in the downtube and fit M5 rivet nuts. This would give a super solid and clean look, which I think I'd like. Slightly concerned about potentially weakening my aluminium frame - any thoughts on this? Add an Anything Cage and problem solved.
V) elastic straps and then some sort of hand made spacer/adapter fitting the curve of the frame on one side and curve of jetboil/1l bottle on the other. Perhaps rubberised to stop it shifting about. Would save the weight and cost of a cage but no idea how to make the custom spacer thing nor how well this idea would work.
VI) get a smaller stove. However - you still need a cooking pot / mug and the jetboil has both I think (although haven't used/seen in in about seven years and hoping to find it in my storage room later this week to find out).
VII) chuck it in a backpack for the time being until I'm comfortable with bikepacking and know what works/doesn't for me.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Warin61 wrote:
crazydave789 wrote:if its an alloy frame then adding rivnuts is an easy thing to do.

Easy. Yes. Reliable? Those frames can be thin .. too thin to take the stress over such a small area. Not be doing that to my bike.

each to his own

if you took it to a bike shop they'd just drill them in, if it had them drilled already then the manufacturers obviously think their frames are up to the job with plenty of redundancy in them. the rivnut when correctly fitted takes up most of those stresses.

you can go a bit too far though.

years ago I saw a project bike made up from perforated tubes, not quite as fancy as this though

http://bicycledesign.net/2015/03/eleven ... knockaert/