24in Big Apple Tyre - replacement with less rolling resistance ?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
MJH

24in Big Apple Tyre - replacement with less rolling resistance ?

Post by MJH »

Hi,
I'm looking to replace the 24in x 2in Big Apple tyres (coded 50-507 24x2 HS338) on my daughter's Dahon Glide with something that has less rolling resistance (they have a lot !). Any suggestions ? Just want something that rolls a bit better, but still has reasonable puncture resistance.

Thanks,
Martin.
NUKe

Re: 24in Big Apple Tyre - replacement with less rolling resistance ?

Post by NUKe »

I thought the big apples were fairly low ? The problem is limited availability of 24 inch tyres in anything other than mob form.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using hovercraft full of eels.
NUKe

Post by Brucey »

they have low rolling resistance on paper, but when you are actually pedalling on them with any vigour, I think they feel like porridge.

I think this is either an illusion of some kind, or a real effect; it is possible that your efforts are being wasted by the (pulsy) torque loads deforming the tyre in a way that does not conserve energy very well. Carcass wear on rear tyres fitted to MTBs suggests the carcass can be deformed in weird ways.

I have never climbed as well on fat tyres as skinny ones (regardless of claimed Crr values) and I think this may be part of the reason why. If you pedal smoothly and are basically less strong, maybe this effect (if indeed it exists) can be less noticeable.

Presumably you have 50-507 tyres at present. Narrower tyres that fit on 507 rims exist, but are rare; most are 47-50mm in width.
I just looked on e-bay and I found a pair (only one!) of 32-507 size.

BTW IIRC Islabikes use wheels this size which are/were fitted with narrower tyres; it may be worth contacting them directly regarding alternatives.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PeterBL

Post by PeterBL »

Schwalbe Shredda 50-507, if you can find them. Production has halted, I think, but a very fast tyre.

http://wimschermer.blogspot.com/2015/02 ... athon.html
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Try the 47-507 Marathons. (Not the Marathon Plus, which is thicker/heavier/more puncture resistant).

One on ebay around £10 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schwalbe-Mar ... 3123984926
RickH

Post by RickH »

My observation with our Circe Helios tandem (20"/406 wheels) was that 50mm Big Apples rolled significantly better than the 47mm K guard Marathons* that came OEM (but the Big Apples proved a bit fragile on the back of tandem as I tend to take it off road on stoney tracks, I did run a BA on the front & K guard Marathon on the rear for a while). 47mm Greenguard Marathons subsequently fitted have proved a reasonable compromise. They seem to roll nearly as well as the Big Apples (& much better than the K guards*) and are significantly tougher if not quite as comfortable.

(*I can see if I can find model no if that is of relevance. )
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

What width tyres are you looking for? Some road tyres come in 24" (e.g. Durano), but they won't be as comfortable.

Have you tried putting a little more air in the Big Apples?

Otherwise, the Continental Ride Tour tyres come in 24" and roll well, despite the touring tread.

Schwalbe Marathons are a decent tyre, but in my judgement, they roll worse than Big Apples, at least in the larger 26" version.

IIRC, Duranos come in 24", though I don't know the ETRTO size, it should be simple enough to check.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

there are three common nominally 24" rim sizes;

507mm
520mm
540mm

obviously you can't fit tyres from one onto another rim size. I have assumed that the OP has 507 since that is the only size I have ever seen big apples in. Similarly I have only seen duranos in 520, and so forth.

The 32-507 tyres I suggested before are real oddballs; most 507 fitments are fat 47 or 50mm wide tyres.

cheers
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

NUKe wrote:I thought the big apples were fairly low ? The problem is limited availability of 24 inch tyres in anything other than mob form.

Mob.= Mtb

NUKe

Post by Vorpal »

Brucey wrote:obviously you can't fit tyres from one onto another rim size. I have assumed that the OP has 507 since that is the only size I have ever seen big apples in. Similarly I have only seen duranos in 520, and so forth.

The 32-507 tyres I suggested before are real oddballs; most 507 fitments are fat 47 or 50mm wide tyres.

Yes, you're right. the Duranos are 520.

SJS cycles usually have about the best selection of odd sizes, and they don't have much, which makes me think there is likely not much to be had...

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-24-507/

I'd probably try the Continentals. They're cheaper than the Marathons, and they ride better in 700c. That doesn't necessarily translate to better in 24", but that's what I would try, anyway.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Are you sure it's not the IGH which makes the bike feel draggy rather than the tyres? I had a test ride on a Glide years ago and it sucked but I thought it was the 7-speed Nexus hub.
MJH

Post by MJH »

Hi All,
Thanks for the advice so far -much appreciated. I take the point about the internal gears (IGH), so it may not be the tyres. That said, if it is the tyres, then I think I'll try some Continentals rather than the Marathons. I used to have Marathons on my Brompton and it was like pedalling through treacle! I switched to Primo Comets -the improvement was amazing (though less traction in corners).

Thanks for suggesting Islabikes -that hadn't occurred to me and I'm pretty sure they will steer me in the right direction (same goes for SJS). I guess I need to check the rim size to find which tyre might suit best, because I'm happy for the tyre to be narrower (the worst the bike will encounter is a canal towpath).

Cheers,
Martin.
MJH

Post by MJH »

Hi All,
OK, I give up. In the phrase "I have assumed that the OP has 507" what does OP stand for ??
Cheers,
Martin.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

original post/poster
MJH

Post by MJH »

Brucey wrote:original post/poster

Ah, thanks for that, Brucey. I was assuming it was referring to some obscure rim/tyre sizing. Nothing so complicated !
Cheers,
M.