Eurovelo 6 or Eurovelo 15 in mid August

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
V17L

Eurovelo 6 or Eurovelo 15 in mid August

Post by V17L »

Hi,
Looks like I might have 5 weeks available if all the stars align in August and September. My wife and I have ridden on Eurovelo 6 from Donaueschingen to Budapest and loved it.
Now I am looking at St Naraire to Basel, following the eurovelo 6 route along the Loire, or from Basel to Rotterdam via the eurovelo 15 route along the Rhine.
May I ask peoples opinions of the two routes. I am looking for flat terrain, interesting history and sites to visit, cheap accommodation (BnB etc), low vehicle traffic and wind direction at that time of the year.
cheers
stevet
2014 Giant Defy 1
Cyril Haearn

Re: Eurovelo 6 or Eurovelo 15 in mid August

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Rhein in Germany is great, often one may cycle on either side, more history than one could shake a stick at, plenty of ferries, are you interested in modern politics? Bonn is good if you are
Little-known fact: on ones birthday one may travel on the cruise ships for free, once went from Ruedesheim to Koblenz, 4 hours
Most people speak a bit of English
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
ossie

Post by ossie »

I've done both routes you're suggesting but in one go ie..down to Basel from the Hook then up EV6 .

I preferred the EV15 section down to Basel .Its almost all off road,on dedicated paths, very well signposted and plenty of accommodation including campsites. As stated loads of history as well.Even the Industrial parts of Germany I found fascinating, safe and easy to cycle through the major cities. The whole route is flat within reason. Its worth noting the scenic part of the Rhine that people travel to see is quite short, only 100 miles or so, perhaps two days cycling.

The EV6 section was more rural, less to see but prettier, less built up although many towns such as Orleans were absolutely gorgeous. Some of the EV6 routing gets fuddled and will take you away from the Loire unless you battle the holiday traffic in August and you will encounter some hills in the process.
V17L

Post by V17L »

Thanks ossie and bryn,
From your words, it will be the Rhine on eurovelo 15. Lots to look up now. I have ordered the bikeline map books for the route, as these were great on eurovelo 6. I know the e15 ones are in German, but maps are still maps.
Once again thanks guys.
2014 Giant Defy 1