OBREA GAIN D40 (e-bike)

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
reohn2

Re: OBREA GAIN D40 (e-bike)

Post by reohn2 »

It sounds like a great bike,but going off supply problems by the company,not only would I be worried about supply but any warranty claims being promptly dealt with by Orbea.
Last edited by reohn2 on 8 Jul 2018, 5:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

Sorry if this makes you jealous, but a picture of my D20 take a couple or three months ago. In the background is Broncroft Castle, a few miles north of Ludlow.

Broncroft Castle (S).jpg
robgul

Post by robgul »

NickWi wrote:Sorry if this makes you jealous, but a picture of my D20 take a couple or three months ago. In the background is Broncroft Castle, a few miles north of Ludlow.

Broncroft Castle (S).jpg

Marks deducted for the atrocious yellow bottle ! .... but nice colour for the bike - very Basque country

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

That yellow bottle is probably older than many readers of this forum. It was bought from the CTC shop when it was a) the CTC b) they provided a useful service to member, and c) they had thier own shop!

Am I showing my age?
groberts

Post by groberts »

I'm intrigued by this bike but is it really a tourer?

1. Will it take a rack and panniers?
2. Will it take mudguards?
3. What are the largest tyres it could take, online suggests they are sold with 28C's?
4. That headset looks a bit challenging for touring?

After knee a replacement and the other one in poor shape, I converted my MTB to electric, which has been very successful and got me back on the road. But what I'd really like is a galaxy-like e-tourer with drops, this looks very nice but a bit too lightweight to be the real thing?

Graham
robgul

Post by robgul »

groberts wrote:I'm intrigued by this bike but is it really a tourer?

1. Will it take a rack and panniers?
2. Will it take mudguards?
3. What are the largest tyres it could take, online suggests they are sold with 28C's?
4. That headset looks a bit challenging for touring?

After knee a replacement and the other one in poor shape, I converted my MTB to electric, which has been very successful and got me back on the road. But what I'd really like is a galaxy-like e-tourer with drops, this looks very nice but a bit too lightweight to be the real thing?

Graham

Yes to rack and mudguards (SKS) - I changed the original 28s for Marathon 32s with no problem (I reckon you might get 35s on it - Orbea says 40 without the guards) - and I fitted a much shorter stem as although I am tall with a long reach I can't lean too far forward for medical reasons. Also fitted an Altura bar-bag.

My other touring bikes are a 1975 Galaxy and a 2014 Van Nicholas Yukon - both with rack, mudguards etc (the Yukon has a max 28 tyre clearance) - the Orbea rides pretty much the same as the other two machines . . . which is what I wanted to achieve. I did look at a conversion for the Galaxy but any conversion seemed a bit of a compromise and the tipping point was the appearance of the Orbea (OK it was 3 times the conversion cost but that wasn't a significant issue)

If you're in striking distance of S Warwickshire you're welcome to come and have a spin on it.

Rob
Spoodledude

Post by Spoodledude »

I have the gain d10 and it’s everything I hoped for after being grounded due to an ACL injury. It gives just enough help which can be decreased as my knee (hopefully) recovers and it means I can easily cycle for 3 hours or so on a bike that doesn’t look like a 70s moped. It’s the bright orange one and it looks great!
groberts

Post by groberts »

Hmm, this is unfortunately getting more and more interesting, really liking the sound of this bike which could be just what I've been looking for (a) something less electric looking and better specced (b) more conventional. My main bike has been a Dawes audax - not unlike the Galaxy and Yukon Rob - which has been perfect for local rides and touring (just) + I prefer drops and almost all electric equivalents are straight bars and IMO poorly specced. The Orbea is looking like a real contender.

Couple of further questions, if I may:

1. The big one - range. Converting my Trek MTB I splashed out and got the 17aH rack battery which using mostly setting 2 or 3 for flattish cycling and 4 or 5 on hills I comfortably get 40 to 50 miles out of a charge; haven't used it loaded yet so not sure how much that will affect range. What would be the 'real' range of the Obrea used in this way?

2. Was your touring loaded Rob + where were you charging in France? If the battery is not removal presumably you have to take the bike indoors - any problems + how big / heavy is the charger + presumably you just use a plug adaptor in Europe?

3. Is the Obrea Gain D40 spec OK or would one of the others be better for touring?

Thanks for the try-out offer Rob, unfortunately I live in Redhill, Surrey which won't work - anybody know a retailer nearby?

For the moment I'm OK with my MTB conversion https://roundthebendpart1.wordpress.com ... ling-e-ra/ + still feeling out what's possible for my knees. It's no surprise that the problem is now the other (right) knee not so much the replacement, but would really love to get something again less tractor like!

Graham
robgul

Post by robgul »

groberts wrote:Hmm, this is unfortunately getting more and more interesting, really liking the sound of this bike which could be just what I've been looking for (a) something less electric looking and better specced (b) more conventional. My main bike has been a Dawes audax - not unlike the Galaxy and Yukon Rob - which has been perfect for local rides and touring (just) + I prefer drops and almost all electric equivalents are straight bars and IMO poorly specced. The Orbea is looking like a real contender.

Couple of further questions, if I may:

1. The big one - range. Converting my Trek MTB I splashed out and got the 17aH rack battery which using mostly setting 2 or 3 for flattish cycling and 4 or 5 on hills I comfortably get 40 to 50 miles out of a charge; haven't used it loaded yet so not sure how much that will affect range. What would be the 'real' range of the Obrea used in this way?

Rob: So far I seem to able to get at least 60 miles with the way I use it - that's unpowered on the flat unless I'm tired (!) and power on the hills.

2. Was your touring loaded Rob + where were you charging in France? If the battery is not removal presumably you have to take the bike indoors - any problems + how big / heavy is the charger + presumably you just use a plug adaptor in Europe?

Rob: Yes you charge in situ (but that's how they make the bike look good/weigh less- no metal case for the battery. No problem in France ... the hotels we stayed in last time at had indoor storage in rooms with powerpoints (in the past bikes have been in the bedrooms, so no problem) The charger comes with a detachable lead from the box to the power socket with the small "figure of eight" plug - it came with a European 2 pin lead, I had a UK 13A from an old laptop ... or use a shaver adaptor)

3. Is the Obrea Gain D40 spec OK or would one of the others be better for touring?

Rob: Have to say I bought the D40 largely on price as a first venture into ebikes (I hadn't seen one in the flesh!) BUT no regrets - the differences aren't much more than the brakes (mine are cable disc, the others are hydraulic) and the groupset (Claris) - managing a bike shop I have access to parts at trade and also the ability to change stuff if I want to. That said the Claris is fine.

Thanks for the try-out offer Rob, unfortunately I live in Redhill, Surrey which won't work - anybody know a retailer nearby?

For the moment I'm OK with my MTB conversion https://roundthebendpart1.wordpress.com ... ling-e-ra/ + still feeling out what's possible for my knees. It's no surprise that the problem is now the other (right) knee not so much the replacement, but would really love to get something again less tractor like!

Graham

See notes above .... and I have a Dawes Audax Giro 600 too ... one of the last UK made machines. Been out on the Yukon for 30 miles this morning with the plan to mix and match rides with it, the old Galaxy and the Orbea e-machine.

Rob
groberts

Post by groberts »

Much appreciated, thanks Rob.

Watch this space! :wink:

graham
BertYardbrush

Post by BertYardbrush »

i got my 2019 D40 on 31st August having ordered it in June. I am still waiting for the auxiliary battery. I'm not sure I need it but it will quell any range anxiety. I am using about 1% per mile on the battery so should be OK for up to around 80 miles. I have a Brooks Swift saddle and Gilles Berthoud stainless steel mudguards. An absolute faff to fit but look great.
The one button Iwoc control system is like using a downtube shifter. It's a slight nigghle having to step through all the power settings to turn the power down or off. The are four settings. White (off) Green (eco) Amber (medium) Red (full).
The Ebikemoton phone app that connects to the bike by bluetooth is not the best. It's OK if you want to check the battery level but as a navigation system it is unreliable. I have yet to find a way of uploading a course to follow and the route recording is patchy. You can use the app to alter the motor settings. I have done this but now can't get back in to make further changes.
I borrowed a demo D40 2018 to do the Cardiff to Holyhead cycle route in August. The hills were fairly demanding and with a single pannier, I would have liked slightly lower gearing than the 34/32 and a bit more oomph from the motor which at very slow speeds grumbles away whatever the power setting.
My friend seemed to get on much better on his Raleigh Mustang but his engine is significantly noisier (and more powerful)

It's an excellent bike for day riding, living in Derbyshire I go up a few hills. I am hoping the software will get better. I am pleased to have got the 10speed Tiagra D40
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

BertYardbrush wrote:You can use the app to alter the motor settings. I have done this but now can't get back in to make further changes.

First your Gain has to be switched on, but NOT plugged in charging. Once connected to your phone, under settings is Engine Management and don't forget to save the settings. If you exit on your phone without saving it doesn't updadate the setting on your bike.
hemo

Post by hemo »

I wasn't a ware that the Orbea's had a third party interface to change settings, what parameters are adjustable ?
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

At first glance - and I assume some way off availability - the new E offering from Ribble looks very similar.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/prod ... ike-395855
robgul

Post by robgul »

djnotts wrote:At first glance - and I assume some way off availability - the new E offering from Ribble looks very similar.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/prod ... ike-395855

.... perhaps Orbea is making the Ribble? - it is remarkably similar to the Gain - that said given the uptake and shortage on supply from Orbea it would seem unlikely. The Ribble start price at £3,000 is over 50% more than the entry model Orbea .... but being Ribble that's probably not an issue to the brand followers.

Rob