Bob Trailer

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
davejdee

Bob Trailer

Post by davejdee »

I am looking at buying a Bob trailer and wonder if anyone has experience of fitting one to an older bike.I have a Raleigh Randonneur approx 30 years old which is still going strong and would like to know if compatible.
Thanks,
Dave.
thirdcrank

Re: Bob Trailer

Post by thirdcrank »

It's a long time since I bought one and I've since sold it, but AFAIK, it still comes with a Q/R fitting with an extra long skewer (which can be shortened) for bikes with Q/R hubs. I never used this because I fitted mine on a bike with hub gears. The alternative fitting used to be called "Nutz" and consisted of two wheel nuts, one of which had alternative slots to allow for differences in OLN. This worked very well for me. If possible, spec the type of fitting you want before you buy because the alternatives bought separately are not cheap.

Different styles are shown here.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_pg_2? ... 1531160192
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

more trouble than they are worth. I have a cheapo chinese knock off and I only now use it to take stuff to the tip. Last time was about 30l of old engine oil. think very carefully before spending so much money on extra weight you have to pull - so limiting, cant take it on the trains for one
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I use a Radical Design “Cyclone”

This is basically a ginormous holdall with wheels and tow bar

At station, remove wheels and tow bar.... becomes holdall so trains are not a problem

Having said that, I never had a problem with the Carry Freedom or BoB in trains either
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

[quote="Cunobelin"]I use a Radical Design “Cyclone”

This is basically a ginormous holdall with wheels and tow bar

At station, remove wheels and tow bar.... becomes holdall so trains are not a problem

Having said that, I never had a problem with the Carry Freedom or BoB in trains either[/quote]

well some train operators say no tandems or trailers. And some trains eg southern where would you out the trailer? often very little space for the bike beside the loo
davejdee

Post by davejdee »

Belated thanks to all, decision time!
Dave.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Easy to overload at which point it's not nice to b ride with until you get used to a lack of stability. Never really rated that type. I assume Bob trailer is better than clones like adventure brand version I had but not that much different though.

Used one trip and after the initial hour when for the first half hour I was convinced our trip was over because I couldn't ride safely with it I finally got used to it. We did cut our trip short though. Never used again.
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

My first three or four long multi-month tours were with a single wheel trailer. I haven't given up on it entirely, because it has its advantages, but not having a trailer is so much more convenient for touring off road, which is by far my preference. Just the simple act of going over a style or through a bicycle gate, or fording a rocky river were turned into massive logistical operations by the trailer. Without it I can simply hoist the bike onto my shoulder and climb/wade over.

If I was sticking to roads I'm not sure I'd leave it at home, because the increased carrying capacity is a marvel.