Looking to buy a high end bike but

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Username

Looking to buy a high end bike but

Post by Username »

all I can find online is ones with press fit BBs or non compact chainrings. Here's what I'm looking for:

Hollowtech or similar bottom bracket. There is more chance of discovering penguins on Pluto than me buying press fit! (google them)

50x34 chain rings and 11/12x28/30 cassette. My recently deceased bike had gearing I made full use of, don't want to change that.

Aero frame preferable

Rim brakes preferable so I can reuse my old wheels

Non internal cable routing (are all aero type frames internal?)

About 2-3k budget. I earn a bit more than when I purchased my last bike and I don't want to have too much money left over when I die :wink:

Don't want to go around the board obtaining and changing parts simply because the bike I bought didn't have them by default. Lets get the bike right from the word go.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Looking to buy a high end bike but

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Build it yourself.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Yup, spec it yourself from a frameset. Cervelo R3 is about the closest off the top of my head. If the bbs our of style, you've pretty much had it on that front.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Take your time.
Buy your frame - perhaps get one made for you.
Buy all the bits or use what you may already have.

You can get bargains if you look around, so take your time and savour the eventual perfect bike.
Remember that this will never end. A bike is just a collection of components, so refine and modify over the years.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Specialized are going back to threaded bottom brackets on certain frames and complete bikes. Dolan do a couple of frames with threaded. Or you could have a Mercian like Mick F?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The other option is to buy a bike for the frame and with components that are not quite right but adequate.
Ride it as it is, and then slowly buy and fit the bits you want, and sell the bits you don't want to part-fund the new bits you do want!

Basically, I've done that twice.
I bought a Raleigh Clubman and over the few years I had it, I improved it. Eventually, I found it was the frame that I wanted to change, so bought my Mercian 531c and then slowly transferred over the good bits to it, replaced all the original bits to the Clubman, then sold the Clubman.

Next time was the Moulton TSR. Good bike, but some serious - for me - shortcomings. Replacing bits sorted it, then selling the bits I didn't want. It was cheaper to do it that way rather than buying a bare frame.
Mick F. Cornwall
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Get a frame made for you by a custom builder. If you don't want to build it up yourself, give your builder the bits you want included.

Threads about frame builders:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=121471
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=113134
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Username wrote:….Non internal cable routing (are all aero type frames internal?)....

pretty much goes with the territory. Exposed cable runs are not 'aero' enough if you want to keep up with the joneses.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Internal cabling, but at least it has a threaded b/b (I think) and "right" chainset and cassette:

Planet X EC-130E Shimano Ultegra
scottg

Post by scottg »

The way to cable aero frames is to use hydraulic brakes and electronic
shifting. Also aero frames tend to deep carbon clincher rims, another
reason to to use disc brakes. Carbon rim brakes can be exciting,
not in a good way, sort of like old timey steel rims. :)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

As others have said, maybe to get the perfect you bike you need custom build... it's what we always did.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Username

Post by Username »

UPDATE: I bought a Ceepo Mamba. It was considerably less than what I intended to spend and after searching online and visiting several shops, it is the absolutely only bike that ticked all the essential boxes (bikes all have [rude word removed] PF BBs). It's also nicer to ride than Amanda Holden.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Username wrote:all I can find online is ones with press fit BBs or non compact chainrings. Here's what I'm looking for:

Hollowtech or similar bottom bracket. There is more chance of discovering penguins on Pluto than me buying press fit! (google them)

50x34 chain rings and 11/12x28/30 cassette. My recently deceased bike had gearing I made full use of, don't want to change that.

Aero frame preferable

Rim brakes preferable so I can reuse my old wheels

Non internal cable routing (are all aero type frames internal?)

About 2-3k budget. I earn a bit more than when I purchased my last bike and I don't want to have too much money left over when I die :wink:

Don't want to go around the board obtaining and changing parts simply because the bike I bought didn't have them by default. Lets get the bike right from the word go.

Understand what you are saying about press fit BBs but my understanding is these are actually fitted to most top end bikes. I recently replaced on on my Trek Madone and brought the tool for doing it on Ebay for £15 and the job was easy !
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Brucey wrote:
Username wrote:….Non internal cable routing (are all aero type frames internal?)....

pretty much goes with the territory. Exposed cable runs are not 'aero' enough if you want to keep up with the joneses.

cheers

The mere fact they are designed as AERO specific frames dictates that the cable runs are internal as much as possible, that's the whole point :roll:
This is what customers have wanted and it isn't a new thing and goes back a long time, there are plenty of options for those that don't and it's not about keeping up with the jones's, it's about progression for specific reasons.
One presumes you kept up with the jones's when you bought your derailleur geared bike/s, what about aero brake levers, did you buy them too, oh wait, that's internal cabling isn't it so you'll have not done that! Alloy rim instead of chromed steel, upgraded your tyres in the last 40 years, technical clothing?

You like to be so critical but really you're a bit of a hypocrite as you have a pop off at modern tech/advances alll the time on this forum (most of it totally unfounded and without hard evidence) yet have taken up modern tech/advances yourself previously. It's incredulous that you do, why is that, why do you have a fear/innate hatred of modern technology or advancements when you've taken them up yourself?

Internal cabling means that those with electronic gear systems don't have to have all the external bits that aren't required, given that electronic/wireless gear shifting will filter to bikes lower down soon enough including e-bikes which will aid many and help make cycling easier which in turn allows some that are excluded or simply don't bother anymore because gear shifting is difficult for whatever reason will be able to now cycle comfortably/easier. if that means hidden cabling then they are not going to be bothered, certainly not as much as you seem to be. :roll:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

zzzzzz....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~