Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Paulatic

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Post by Paulatic »

I can export my rides from Strava as a gpx but as the Wimps know that might not be "right" route. :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

cycleruk wrote:
FasterFerret wrote:
cycleruk wrote:What I need is someway of storing the routes that people can look at without them being on my PC.
Obviously the original daily routes I have on RwGPS but if I delete them then they are lost.
Some days we made deviations and this was recorded on Strava. So we also need a way of storing these so that we can comment on the reasons why.

If they are on Strava already then you could either:

1) Let everyone know your Strava name and let everyone follow you and look at the routes in your profile.

2) Share the Stava activity link on here, like this:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1644610990

people will have to join Strava to view, and if you have a 'private profile' it might be a bit more tricky still...

cycleruk wrote:Obviously the original daily routes I have on RwGPS but if I delete them then they are lost.

You do know that you can store both ROUTES and TRIPS on RWGPS?

Routes are to be done
Trips are routes actually done (same as recording it to Strava)

Of course, you could as easily chose to delete them from Strava as you could RWGPS (or Garmin connect), but once you have uploaded them people will be able to '...look at them without being on [your] PC' they are stored in Strava/RWGPS for all to see.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

I am all in favour of the Wimps Lejog routes to be published however a lot of alterations took place on the fly to cater for campsite entrances , improvements by local knowledge and corrections to simplify the route.
Perhaps it would be better to wait until the actual route used without annoying errors is available.
At the moment the Wimps are recovering from the ride no doubt the revised final route will be made available in due course
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

oldmanonabike wrote:I am all in favour of the Wimps Lejog routes to be published however a lot of alterations took place on the fly to cater for campsite entrances , improvements by local knowledge and corrections to simplify the route.
Perhaps it would be better to wait until the actual route used without annoying errors is available.
At the moment the Wimps are recovering from the ride no doubt the revised final route will be made available in due course

All the Wimps Strava routes are there as is the original RwGPS planned ones. Just a case of sorting them and putting in a place that is permanent and reliable.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
flash

Post by flash »

Although how many versions of the route were there???
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

flash wrote:Although how many versions of the route were there???

There was only one final route unfortunately some of the riders were ,on the odd occasion, using an older version as they didn't upgrade to the final version.
As I wrote earlier there were some changes made during the ride mainly where local advice was taken or guest riders advised a variation on the route. Sometimes this resulted in the faster group doing a few less miles I merely ask that the route left as a legacy from the wimps should be as accurate as possible
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

flash wrote:Although how many versions of the route were there???

There was only one official route. Routes had been produced for quite a time but as time progressed they were altered.
A couple of the days routes were altered at the last minute (Edinburgh for one) due to new information.
The final turn by turn routes were posted in the last 2 weeks before the ride but I think some had already downloaded previously posted routes that got altered. I know a couple of people had got the wrong day 6 campsite as it was decided to use a different one. There were a couple of times that we altered the routes on the fly - (was it Day 4 start we used the canal towpath instead of the road ?). The group that met MickF rode, with Micks local knowledge, off-piste. :wink:
Day 7 and one group went via Morecambe seafront and the other group used Lancaster Canal towpath.
As it turned out everyone started and ended each day together in the right places. :P

By the way for an overall route view and entertaining read see Paulatics Blog :-
https://stcleve.wordpress.com
You'll never know if you don't try it.
sbcoombs

Post by sbcoombs »

If this works, I am happy to share my Strava files as I recorded the actual route ridden every day by the front group.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1684603981
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

sbcoombs wrote:If this works, I am happy to share my Strava files as I recorded the actual route ridden every day by the front group.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1684603981

Works for me.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Doesn't work for me.
Strava.jpg
A. I don't do workouts.
B. I don't want to join Strava.
Mick F. Cornwall
sbcoombs

Post by sbcoombs »

When I get some time, I will put them all on ridewithgps so anyone can access them.
I’ll post links when done.
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

I have been messing around with RWGPS over the last few weeks, not really used it before, but getting to like it. Because I am using it a lot at the moment (for my JOGLE planning), I have upgraded to the paid-for version. It is not immediately clear what features are free and which are paid for so this may not be available...

sbcoombs wrote:When I get some time, I will put them all on ridewithgps so anyone can access them.
I’ll post links when done.

I found a function that automatically syncs your Garmin connect files (uploading them as 'Rides')...

"Automatic Garmin Sync - You are connected! Upload your ride to Garmin Connect, and it will sync automatically in less than 5 minutes."

...which means that they are all done automagically. As I said I don't know if this is only in the paid for feature, but it certainly saves time importing each ride individually.

As an aside:

One thing that I have noticed doing this, which I think is quite useful, is that the 'Estimated Time' to complete the route that is shown in the ride summary of a planned route becomes more accurate - because RWGPS now has some data to make a more accurate estimation from:

"Estimated Time shows a prediction of how long it would take you to ride a given route. This number is based on your recent riding history, and represents an estimate of moving time. Each time you upload a new ride, your Estimated Time profile will adjust to reflect your most recent riding. Only rides exceeding 10 miles (16 km) will affect these estimates."

Something that I am finding quite helpful when planning a route when I need to get back for a specific time.
flash

Post by flash »

But does the estimated time allow for pre breakfast snack stop, second breakfast stop, cake stop and ice cream stops??? :)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Does it compensate for body weight, and a single gear ratio :mrgreen:

Oh I came prepared and made the mistake in showing Mick....written route on cardboard :)
He retorted "That's Hieroglyphs.... :? ..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

flash wrote:But does the estimated time allow for pre breakfast snack stop, second breakfast stop, cake stop and ice cream stops??? :)

Unfortunately, I have not yet found a computer powerful enough to calculate accurately the ride-to-cake time ratio, nor the coefficient of general bike faff to actually getting out of the door. :lol:

Now, where did I leave my Garmin... and why is my left glove never in the same place as my right one... :oops: