Can the UK survive John Cleese leaving ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Can the UK survive John Cleese leaving ?

Post by mercalia »

"Why John Cleese is leaving the UK for Nevis
John Cleese has said he is heading to the Caribbean - Nevis to be exact.
The Monty Python star said it's down to a lack of trust in the newspapers; "it’s the lying and the triviality that I object to".
"
what a , can I use the word, pratt?

any one know whether Nevis is a tax haven? or just has a good hospice for nutters or geriatics?c or maybe a book to sell? He has become a character from Mony Python?

Got the huff because he didnt get any thing in the queens birthday honours?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06df6qd
Last edited by mercalia on 11 Jul 2018, 1:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tangled Metal

Re: Good riddens John Cleese?

Post by Tangled Metal »

He said in the interview he only spent 20 days in the UK over the last year or was it few years. He's emigrated a while ago let's face it. Joining the likes of Sean Connery to meddle in UK politics from abroad in their nice Caribbean tax haven.

BTW I didn't listen to most of what he said, white noise to me, except I caught the 20 days comment and listened to his assessment of the monty python status.

Why do rich actors choose to get involved with politics when the politics they choose to get involved with is so divorced from where they live and possibly work? You get some actors getting heavily involved with UN charities then walk out with another adopted child from the country. Or 007 coming back to Scotland to "defend" it against UK,leaving a Caribbean hideaway / secret lair. Didn't 007 spend most of his time leaving the UK to go to those places???

[comments removed due to inappropriate phrase - please revisit the form rules on swearing]
661-Pete

Re: John Cleese

Post by 661-Pete »

Perhaps I should remind folks, John Cleese and Basil Fawlty are not, actually, one and the same person. Any more than Andrew Sachs and "Manuel" were the same person.

You, Merky, may not like the guy, OK, you may not agree with his expat intentions. Is that any reason to post vile, vulgar insults against him?

And learn to spell "riddance" before your next post! :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

mercalia wrote:what a , can I use the word, pratt?

Up to you, but I'd be interested to know what conclusion you come to.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

661-Pete wrote:Perhaps I should remind folks, John Cleese and Basil Fawlty are [b]not, actually, one and the same person.[/b] Any more than Andrew Sachs and "Manuel" were the same person.

You, Merky, may not like the guy, OK, you may not agree with his expat intentions. Is that any reason to post vile, vulgar insults against him?

well seems like they are the same person. why on earth did he bother to come on an interview. a total waste of broadcast time to vent his pointless views that no one wants to hear as its common knowledge. I think he must have Livingstones disease of wanting some lime light and attention from the press as he is a hasbeen now?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:Perhaps I should remind folks, John Cleese and Basil Fawlty are not, actually, one and the same person. Any more than Andrew Sachs and "Manuel" were the same person.

What, Bheinn Nibheis (Ben Nevis)?
I thought there were moderators to correct spelling mistakes :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I thought there were moderators to correct spelling mistakes :wink:

they don't pay me enough for that ;)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Sacha Baron Cohen is the new JC, Plus One!
He impersonated a soldier to get an interview with Sarah Palin (the new Hillary Clinton)

Is the humour of JC inappropriate now, like some of our old favourites from the 1970s? Or is it simply timeless?

BTW, in SBCs film Grimsby, England won the football WC
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just so happens, that we watched a couple of Fawlty Towers episodes last evening.
"Kipper and the Corpse" and "Waldorf Salad". :D :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Re: Can the UK survive John Cleese leaving ?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plus One for the new title
Tangled Metal

Re: Has the UK survived John Cleese leaving already so won't really notice he is flouncing out now?

Post by Tangled Metal »

If you want to be pedantic, 20 days visiting the UK on the past year or two implies he's left already and this is just a petulant flounce out of here. Possibly with a bit of publicity for a new book or something that attempts to be commercial.

He's a has been. Even Palin reinvented himself as a traveller. Cleese hasn't changed much since his heyday. And I don't consider his corporate videos as a change of career or reinvention. Just a mild sense of amusement. A bit like the stuff he's done since monty python and fawlty towers.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:What, Bheinn Nibheis (Ben Nevis)?
You've totally lost me there*! As I understand it, JC is traipsing to St Kitts and Nevis, in the West Indies. Not Ben Nevis in the Highlands (yes I've fully aware that most highland place-names have Gaelic versions....).

If I had the choice, I don't know which I'd choose. Ben Nevis for the views, Nevis, WI for the climate, perhaps...

Incidentally, JC has reported getting a rough ride on social media, of late. "Snowflake" taunts and what-have-you. Well, I suppose, everybody gets a rough ride on social media, some of the time. Certainly, half the voting population do, these days, what with politics being what it is....

*There! I've never actually been up Ben Nevis - though I'd like to, one day, if I'm spared. I'm told it's a fairly easy climb by Highland standards - Long John Silver and Captain Ahab could manage it, pushing a grand piano - no problem! Or am I being duped?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I suspect he's still laughing all the way to the bank.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:What, Bheinn Nibheis (Ben Nevis)?
You've totally lost me there*! As I understand it, JC is traipsing to St Kitts and Nevis, in the West Indies. Not Ben Nevis in the Highlands (yes I've fully aware that most highland place-names have Gaelic versions....).

If I had the choice, I don't know which I'd choose. Ben Nevis for the views, Nevis, WI for the climate, perhaps...

Incidentally, JC has reported getting a rough ride on social media, of late. "Snowflake" taunts and what-have-you. Well, I suppose, everybody gets a rough ride on social media, some of the time. Certainly, half the voting population do, these days, what with politics being what it is....

*There! I've never actually been up Ben Nevis - though I'd like to, one day, if I'm spared. I'm told it's a fairly easy climb by Highland standards - Long John Silver and Captain Ahab could manage it, pushing a grand piano - no problem! Or am I being duped?

To paraphrase Showell Styles:
On the Bheinn one is as far away from the spirit of mountains as in the waiting room at Moreton-in-the-Marsh railway station
There are hundreds of other mountains n Scotland, all easier to climb (all lower at least) :wink:
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

It's worth doing once. Says it all!

If you do then CMD Arete in good weather is the only approach worth the effort IMHO.

Then you can get the train to top Snowdon / Yr Wyddfa. Well, I think you might have to struggle up the last 29 steps or so to the task top. I've seen people turn back from even this number of steps before now.

Of course even scafell pike isn't that his neither. Much prefer scafell instead at a little lower. Also Buchaille etive mor is my preference to Ben nevis. There are much nicer hills than the national highs IMHO so I don't see the point of special trips just to do them. I might like the idea of checking out cs1 in London (or whatever a good bit of London cycling provision is) but I don't see cycling in London traffic as a making the cs1 a trip worth doing. If you get my reasoning. Better to visit somewhere nice than just ticking off a popular hill.