Why put safety/info stickers all over a new bike ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
peetee

Why put safety/info stickers all over a new bike ?

Post by peetee »

....Is it necessary to put this sticker on a left hand crank?
crank warning.jpg

What is so special about this bolt?
Why not put it on every bolt and remove all responsibility for assembly altogether?
This wasn't a cheapie from Tesco either. It was a fully Shimano equipped road bike that, while you wouldn't race on it, would be reliable mechanically for a good milage. Clearly the quality of the components vastly exceeds the skill of the assemblers.
and to top it all, the obligatory front mech sticker, still in place after 200 miles. flicking merrily all the time its on the little ring.
front mech sticker.jpg

Truly a Bicycle Shaped Object.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
pwa

Re: why, oh why?

Post by pwa »

Imagine if new cars came that way, with stickers on wheel nuts telling you to check them before driving away from the forecourt outside a building populated by people properly qualified to do such checks for you.
foxyrider

Re: Why put safety/info stickers all over a new bike ?

Post by foxyrider »

They work to the lowest common denominator - the same people who rendered lawyers lips necessary.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Dunno about the UK, but the law here says that bikes must be safe and fit for purpose when sold, so no wee labels should be necessary. Telling someone to check that a bolt is tight might even lead them to overtighten it and break something.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The crankbolt label I can sort of understandafter riding for the first time crankbolts,especially,need checking.
The gap sticker comes on every Shimano front mech and is usually just left on new bikes.the buyer needs to just peel it off.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Maybe because bikes can be delivered directly to the consumer in a box. Yet to see a car distributed like this.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

simonhill wrote:Maybe because bikes can be delivered directly to the consumer in a box. Yet to see a car distributed like this.

Yes but a car comes with a hundred+ page manual full of safety warnings.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:Imagine if new cars came that way, with stickers on wheel nuts telling you to check them before driving away from the forecourt outside a building populated by people properly qualified to do such checks for you.

If a vehicle is fitted with winter tyres that have a lower maximum speed than the vehicle, a sticker with the max for the tyres is put by the speedo
Saw a sticker on a child's cycle:
**Maximum 250 kmh ** :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
hamster

Post by hamster »

Mainly as backside-covering by lawyers, especially for the US market.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Where did the bike come from?
If from a shop, I'd take the stickers as evidence they hadn't done the pre-delivery checks they should have.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

pwa wrote:Imagine if new cars came that way, with stickers on wheel nuts telling you to check them before driving away from the forecourt outside a building populated by people properly qualified to do such checks for you.

And imagine if the purchaser of said new car had to decide what lighting system to fit onto their new car, and indeed whether or not to fit lighting at all...
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

andrew_s wrote:Where did the bike come from?
If from a shop, I'd take the stickers as evidence they hadn't done the pre-delivery checks they should have.

+1 to that if bought on-line.
peetee

Post by peetee »

It was bought from a well known national car and bike part retailer and the brand is Car**ra.
I would estimate that 8 out of 10 of the their bikes that I see have the front mech sticker in place. Sometimes for years!
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Doesn't that retailer have a bit of form for letting mountain bikes out with the fork reversed ?
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

9494arnold wrote:Doesn't that retailer have a bit of form for letting mountain bikes out with the fork reversed ?

:lol: :lol: