Can the UK survive John Cleese leaving ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Vorpal

Re: Can the UK survive John Cleese leaving ?

Post by Vorpal »

He's left before.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pwa

Post by pwa »

Does anyone care?
hondated

Post by hondated »

mercalia wrote:"Why John Cleese is leaving the UK for Nevis
John Cleese has said he is heading to the Caribbean - Nevis to be exact.
The Monty Python star said it's down to a lack of trust in the newspapers; "it’s the lying and the triviality that I object to".
"
what a , can I use the word, pratt?

any one know whether Nevis is a tax haven? or just has a good hospice for nutters or geriatics?c or maybe a book to sell? He has become a character from Mony Python?

Got the huff because he didnt get any thing in the queens birthday honours?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06df6qd

+1 the fella is an idiot in my opinion and although many may have a different opinion to mine born in 1951 and brought up with MP on the telly I have to say it was a load of rubbish and no where near as funny as Arthur Haynes or the Benny Hill show.( Runs for shelter to avoid getting hit by incoming )
661-Pete

Re: John Cleese

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:To paraphrase Showell Styles:
On the Bheinn one is as far away from the spirit of mountains as in the waiting room at Moreton-in-the-Marsh railway station
Nevertheless, I'd love to be on top there, on a clear day (which happens seldom, up there). As I feel the years mount up though, I doubt if I'm up to it now. :( We missed our chance back in 1990, because we were with our son (then aged 4) and he wouldn't have been up to it (and he was too heavy to carry). Did a couple of other munros though... :)

There are hundreds of other mountains n Scotland, all easier to climb (all lower at least) :wink:
You're kidding, of course. Have you tried Sgùrr Dearg, perchance? RIght to the top, including the "In Pin"? :shock: No? I thought not. Neither have I. Some things are best left to the experts - or the nutters....

....[edit] - or to Danny Macaskill.
[youtube]uFD-jCFUNNk[/youtube]
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oh no you have seen through me :?
Of course I was jesting but I have read about the Bheinn, hundreds of people climb it every day, must be awful
I did conquer Yr Wyddfa as a teenager, over Crib Goch, not sure whether I would try that now, the Berwyns look more suitable
Cycled up Great Dun Fell too

The Cuillin and the caves are great to read about, that is exciting enough for me :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

hondated wrote:
The Monty Python star said it's down to a lack of trust in the newspapers; "it’s the lying and the triviality that I object to".
"

any one know whether Nevis is a tax haven? or just has a good hospice for nutters or geriatics?c or maybe a book to sell? He has become a character from Mony Python?

+1 the fella is an idiot in my opinion and although many may have a different opinion to mine born in 1951 and brought up with MP on the telly I have to say it was a load of rubbish and no where near as funny as Arthur Haynes or the Benny Hill show.( Runs for shelter to avoid getting hit by incoming )

MP was not so funny, I agree, time for a poll?
Bob Monkhouse:
"At school I told people I wanted to be a comedian. People laughed at me. They are not laughing now" :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
hondated

Post by hondated »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
hondated wrote:
"

MP was not so funny, I agree, time for a poll?
Bob Monkhouse:
"At school I told people I wanted to be a comedian. People laughed at me. They are not laughing now" :wink:

Bryn Bob Monkhouse now there was a funny man.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Vorpal wrote:He's left before.

I recall that HMRC were investigating his lack of "tax" affairs. Perhaps this is why he has now sunk to the level of "cheesy" adverts and may be persona non Grata in the UK. :roll:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

He's not lost his timing, as it is revealed today that Nevis is one of the world's last remaining refuges for tax crooks.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/j ... o-clean-up
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

thelawnet wrote:He's not lost his timing, as it is revealed today that Nevis is one of the world's last remaining refuges for tax crooks.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/j ... o-clean-up

thanks for that report. I missed it. explains a lot. a shockingly interesting article from the Guardian. thanks again

ahhhhhhh and the BBC fell for it to publicise this mans antics :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
some one dont get a paunch that he showed on the interview living on a basic wage. A sad ending really?

"While Nevis’s rivals have lost business by opening up, Nevis has doubled down on secrecy. Not long ago, I spoke to a lawyer with extensive experience of the island, who asked not to be identified because he still needs to work with Nevisian officials. “The only good thing that Donald Trump could do, if he was ever so inclined,” he said, “is take a battleship and roll it up to Nevis, and literally train the guns and say: ‘Get rid of these bullshit laws or I’ll blow you to kingdom come.’”

In short, he said, “A bright light needs to be shone on this cockroach.”" yes Trump would get my cheers if he did that

was he also thinking of our guy?

well here is his new home

Nevis
Nevis
nevis.JPG (10.24 KiB) Viewed 296 times
PH

Post by PH »

It's not always easy to separate an appreciation for someones work and their personal life. Should I feel guilty for laughing at Life of Brian? Or be surprised that everything I've heard John Cleese say away from an entertainment role is unpleasant? I suppose I've contributed to that wealth which he doesn't want to be taxed on, so maybe it's a subject for the boycott thread.
To an extent it also works the other way, there's a few artists whose personality I'm drawn to, but it doesn't always translate to liking their work.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

PH wrote:It's not always easy to separate an appreciation for someones work and their personal life. Should I feel guilty for laughing at Life of Brian? Or be surprised that everything I've heard John Cleese say away from an entertainment role is unpleasant? I suppose I've contributed to that wealth which he doesn't want to be taxed on, so maybe it's a subject for the boycott thread.
To an extent it also works the other way, there's a few artists whose personality I'm drawn to, but it doesn't always translate to liking their work.

well JC was only one of the many actors in Life of Brian and not really the funniest?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Jesus Christ
Jeremy Clarkson
Jeremy Corbyn

Are there any more JCs to get confused about?

Is it not a bit lazy to shorthand a name then expect readers to understand you? Easy in this case but just curious if we're becoming more lazy writing things since we switched online more?
meic

Post by meic »

In the context of replying to a post all about a named person and that same name appearing in the title of the thread and each post's subtitle.
One would be fully justified to just use the pronoun "he".
Yma o Hyd
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I thought you give the name on the first sentence about the person then use he in later ones once the identification of the object of the paragraph had been made.

Example, "Gerald was a big man. However, he was unusually competitive on our local time trial course"

It's not my strength to know much about grammar or best practise in writing but I'm sure I got taught that at primary school.
Last edited by Tangled Metal on 12 Jul 2018, 10:27pm, edited 1 time in total.