Perhaps Poncho ?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
radek

Perhaps Poncho ?

Post by radek »

Hello,

I really do not like getting wet!

My Gore-Tex jacket started leaking water! Although, Gore-Tex is breathable, I found that after a while heat residude will build up under the jacket cosequently making the ride uncomfortable. I have been following vblogs of a German couple doing a world tour and they are using ponchos - I gues they must know what they are doing since they are on a world tour :)

I do not like the way poncho looks, but I am more interested in the practical benefit.

Does anyone have experience with poncho?

I would also appreciate recommendations for a poncho model that I could buy.

Regards,
Radek
Tangled Metal

Re: Perhaps Poncho ?

Post by Tangled Metal »

No idea if any good but the online retailer is a good company that only seems to sell good kit. Might be worth a punt if it's your thing.

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/tents-shelters-c25/tarps-c43/daypack-bike-poncho-ul-p9426
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I have used one in the past, but don't now.

They are best suited to riding at fairly moderate speeds in calm weather, IMO.

They aren't very aerodynamic, so if you ride briskly (~ 30 kph) you'll notice yourself getting slowed down (by about 3 or 4 kph, iirc).
They can be also difficult to control in windy weather, especially if made of a thin and light fabric. To help, they would normally have a waist tie (attached to the back), and thumb loops to hold the front down.
They also make traffic signals difficult.

In terms of comfort, they are good, except where they lie (depending on riding position) against your shoulders and upper back, which stops air circulation and leads to dampness.

I'd suggest either the Carradice Duxback, or Pro-Route
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The trouble with ponchos - if they are light the wind can get up underneath. if they are heavier like the cotton ones well they are heavy. Also the cottons ones need care - will rot if they are put away wet & do need reroofing now and then. One reviewer who swore by them changed his mind when his re proofing failed. On the other hand they do keep you dry like no other gear ( I have the Carradice cotton one - if you are not a small person get the larger or super version ) One thing you dont get is water in the crotch :lol: I havent used mine much, but the odd occasions riding in the rain was almost fun
Last edited by mercalia on 14 Jul 2018, 12:12am, edited 1 time in total.
radek

Post by radek »

This looks very good with a big advantage of being only 226g. I wonder how durable is this product ? £124.99 seems quite a lot for a poncho. EXPED is a US company and the price may be increased by the custom charges. There must be a UK counterpart. For example, I found the Carradice Duxback Rain Poncho.

I also expect that the breathability of the fabric is less relevant in the case of poncho. The air should simply escape through the bottom gap. I also foresee a drawback that poncho will affect the aerodynamics in some cases, but will definitely help with harnessing the tail wind.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

I used one in and out of the military for decades, I wear them walking, boating all over, I pack one for cycling as they have so many uses. I even have an AGU sycling one which isn't like the awful plastic cape thing I had as a kid and while not as versatile is good bit of kit.

https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/cycli ... gu-poncho/

you dont have to wear it all the time but its role is to keep the water off you and allow what is underneath to breath better. ideal for summer wash outs.

the military camp versions you can wear like a greatcoat or a short coat, keep the wind or sun off, string it as a tarp extend a tent porch and many other things, the simplest is a sit shelter - just hunker under it and let the weather happen. they also make good bike covers.

if you are super lightweighting you can get or alter liners to fit, Nomad do the variant 3 which is a pimped up tropical quilt/poncho liner with ties and zips all over it. makes a great camp coat

on the continent you will still see hikers wearing ponchos rather than goretex.

I wouldn't spend more than 40 quid though.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

OP, you might find this thread handy:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=87172&hilit=poncho

I got one in the end - will see if I can figure out which one.

Cost about £18 I think.

As Dave says you don't need to spend a lot and in fact some of the ex army ones are damn heavy.

Mine isn't.

As Dave says they are very useful - I got mine for touring, for sheltering from downpours, sitting them out etc. It can also be used as a tarp or a groundsheet. Nice tough lightweight material. Had nice run across a field in it last year sheltering from a storm to and from a shower block - ideal for that sort of thing.

I wouldn't ride in it though.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

crazydave789 wrote:I used one in and out of the military for decades, I wear them walking, boating all over, I pack one for cycling as they have so many uses. I even have an AGU sycling one which isn't like the awful plastic cape thing I had as a kid and while not as versatile is good bit of kit.

https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/cycli ... gu-poncho/

you dont have to wear it all the time but its role is to keep the water off you and allow what is underneath to breath better. ideal for summer wash outs.

the military camp versions you can wear like a greatcoat or a short coat, keep the wind or sun off, string it as a tarp extend a tent porch and many other things, the simplest is a sit shelter - just hunker under it and let the weather happen. they also make good bike covers.

if you are super lightweighting you can get or alter liners to fit, Nomad do the variant 3 which is a pimped up tropical quilt/poncho liner with ties and zips all over it. makes a great camp coat

on the continent you will still see hikers wearing ponchos rather than goretex.

I wouldn't spend more than 40 quid though.

how big are you as I see they are "one size". shame they dont make a regular and large size

some "ex military ones" here
http://www.militarymart.co.uk/results.aspx?q=poncho
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think a lot of people of the generation who used to use these call them a cape so if you search on that word, as well as some hits including Wrath, of Good Hope and even Horn, you should find plenty about what you are looking for.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

thirdcrank wrote:I think a lot of people of the generation who used to use these call them a cape so if you search on that word, as well as some hits including Wrath, of Good Hope and even Horn, you should find plenty about what you are looking for.

what we call a cycle cape is totally different to a poncho.
radek

Post by radek »

Andrew_s, thanks for making some great points. I ride on hoods most of the time and thus dampness is likely occur on my upper back back. Not being able to do proper Traffic Signals sounds quite concerning. i think that Pro-Route would too small for me :)

Mercalia, water in the crotch sounds very very unconformable :)

Crazydave789, these are very very strong arguments. I do like to keep my bike covered overnight. I have been thinking about a getting army basha to replace the 3x3 tarp, but poncho could also work, not to mention other uses.

Sweep, thanks for the link. Do you I understand correctly that in your experience army ponchos are not suitable for cycling?

Thirdcrank, I have been searching for cycle cape too. Thanks.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

crazydave789 wrote:what we call a cycle cape is totally different to a poncho.

It depends what sort of cycle cape you refer to, and indeed what sort of poncho.
A cycling race cape is just a jacket, and the original South American ponchos were basically a woolen blanket with a hole in the middle, but if you compare a touring type cycle cape with a general use rain poncho, the differences are only minor.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

andrew_s wrote:
crazydave789 wrote:what we call a cycle cape is totally different to a poncho.

It depends what sort of cycle cape you refer to, and indeed what sort of poncho.
A cycling race cape is just a jacket, and the original South American ponchos were basically a woolen blanket with a hole in the middle, but if you compare a touring type cycle cape with a general use rain poncho, the differences are only minor.

a cycling cape is enlarged at the front to go over the handle bars? I wouldnt have thought that is minor?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The classic used to be the Rotrax cape

I have a 30 year old one

The Carradice versions were a close second
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

I think "poncho" is a North American term; "cape" is the more common (and traditional) term in Britain.

Mrs. M-k and I have used whatever-you-want-to-call-thems for many years for walking tours in Britain. We find them more comfortable and adaptable than waterproof/breathable jackets in all but one circumstance: in high winds on the top of the moors they can make it impossible to walk safely (or at all :? ). We have more than once been forced to shelter in the lee of a stone wall, hoping that the wild weather would peter out in time for us to reach our day's destination. (It always did.)

Under no circumstances would I risk dependence on a cape or poncho while cycling on an open, unsheltered road.