Why put safety/info stickers all over a new bike ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
recumbentpanda

Re: Why put safety/info stickers all over a new bike ?

Post by recumbentpanda »

I see this one as quite a sensible workaround for a real issue:

Even if, on first assembly, you tighten square taper crank bolts to the specified torque, they will need re-tightening after the bike has been ridden for a few days. This is because the hard steel of the square taper B.B. axle ‘beds in’ to the softer aluminium of the cranks.

A knowledgeable home builder will do this. A good bike shop will tell the customer to bring the bike back. In the case of a mail order bike or a shop that doesn’t bother with after sales checks, or a customer who cba to take the bike back, a sticker like that is the only logical thing.

I have dealt with a number of roadside rescues of cyclists who didn’t know this or whose bike shop didn’t tell them. A month or two later the crank loosens and gets trashed in the process.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

recumbentpanda wrote:I see this one as quite a sensible workaround for a real issue:

Even if, on first assembly, you tighten square taper crank bolts to the specified torque, they will need re-tightening after the bike has been ridden for a few days. This is because the hard steel of the square taper B.B. axle ‘beds in’ to the softer aluminium of the cranks.

A knowledgeable home builder will do this. A good bike shop will tell the customer to bring the bike back. In the case of a mail order bike or a shop that doesn’t bother with after sales checks, or a customer who cba to take the bike back, a sticker like that is the only logical thing.

I have dealt with a number of roadside rescues of cyclists who didn’t know this or whose bike shop didn’t tell them. A month or two later the crank loosens and gets trashed in the process.

...... which would make perfect sense if the sticker warned the rider to check for tightness after riding, but it doesn't.
Peter W

Post by Peter W »

Come come, this won't do. People must be protected from themselves at all costs.

It has long been my belief that the two wheeled bicycle is inherently dangerous and lacking in stability. They should, by law, be fitted with sprung and damped stability outrider wheels, along with strict instructions that people remove them entirely at their own risk. (And never, on crude cheap alloy welded bicycles!)

I have often been aghast at the way my safety has been compromised by thoughtless manufacturers. Did my off road Yamaha trail motor cycle which I bought in the 1980's have a sticker warning me not to drink from the battery when I was dehydrated? No it did not. Did my white water kayak forbid any use in rapids and waterfalls? Did it hack! All they wanted was my money with no concern that I might have been traumatised for life. (Or even deaded.)

I remain eternally grateful to the chief solicitor of a seaside council I was embroiled with over an access issue when, after much writing of letters, he insisted that the purpose of the law he wished to introduce was 'for people's own good.' I cry myself to sleep each night at my irresponsibility in using the legal backing of an organisation I belonged to counter and dismiss his concern for our safety, and carry on regardless.

With present trends, you wonder just what the law will land us with in future?
peetee

Post by peetee »

I for one put forward the immediate action of painting all pavement kerb edges with a continuous thick yellow line and the words 'BEWARE OF TRAFFIC' six feet long and two feet apart.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
meic

Post by meic »

Did my off road Yamaha trail motor cycle which I bought in the 1980's have a sticker warning me not to drink from the battery when I was dehydrated?

The company's 1980s Kawasaki did have a sticker on the petrol tank telling me not to check the fuel level with a naked flame. :lol:
Yma o Hyd
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

simonhill wrote:Maybe because bikes can be delivered directly to the consumer in a box. Yet to see a car distributed like this.

Happens more frequently than you think...... two of my colleagues over the years have had cars they built from kits
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Many years ago in an LBS I found one labelled... NOT to be used between Dusk and Dawn

No reference to lights, just a Do not use
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

peetee wrote:I for one put forward the immediate action of painting all pavement kerb edges with a continuous thick yellow line and the words 'BEWARE OF TRAFFIC' six feet long and two feet apart.

Sorry, but it wouldn't work unless it was linked to an app that displayed a big warning message on the screen of the phone that they are looking at instead of where they are walking.
peetee

Post by peetee »

on the screen of the phone that they are looking at instead of where they are walking.

The warning is meant for people not Darwin Award nominees. :wink:
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

peetee wrote:It was bought from a well known national car and bike part retailer and the brand is Car**ra.
I would estimate that 8 out of 10 of the their bikes that I see have the front mech sticker in place. Sometimes for years!

Have you maybe stopped to think this isn't actually something that happens that often?
You have a massive ONE in the database, you're guessing on the number you think you've seen which actually isn't that many or significant anyway, you're getting your knickers in a twist over absolutely nothing.
Have you seen the manual with warnings that cars come with, what about printers, anything electrical?
Get a grip for goodness sakes, it's a damn sticker!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I remember on one of my motorcycle manuals saying something like never race engine above 10K rpm.............max power was at 11.5 K but redline at 12.5K.........ignition cut out on two cylinders was at 11.8K after several seconds, which meant that it would not pull above 11800 in top gear that easy.
I struggled to keep the needle below 13.5 K most of the time :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Airsporter1st wrote:
recumbentpanda wrote:I see this one as quite a sensible workaround for a real issue:

...... which would make perfect sense if the sticker warned the rider to check for tightness after riding, but it doesn't.

If it needs tightening after riding and that's done before being next ridden it will be tightened just the same. Makes no difference when it's done as long as it's done.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

peetee wrote:
on the screen of the phone that they are looking at instead of where they are walking.

The warning is meant for people not Darwin Award nominees. :wink:

A policeperson is concerned about texting while driving
"at least when they are talking they look straight ahead" she whimpered
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

Cunobelin wrote:Many years ago in an LBS I found one labelled... NOT to be used between Dusk and Dawn

No reference to lights, just a Do not use

I think my kids bmxs, from half...s, have something like that.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Have you maybe stopped to think this isn't actually something that happens that often?
You have a massive ONE in the database, you're guessing on the number you think you've seen which actually isn't that many or significant anyway, you're getting your knickers in a twist over absolutely nothing.

Have you maybe stopped to think that this problem may be one of many? The front mech sticker is not relevant to the user. It is there purely to show the constructor how high to set the part above the chainring. Leaving it there often causes it to foul the chain. I have come across more than one owner who has taken time and expense to find out why their bike makes "a flicking noise when the crank goes round". The pre sales checks on many bikes are appalling. Yes it very common to see this problem on that brand, as well as cable ends that foul the crank or stays. I have even seen incorrectly seated cable outers that, once dropped into place, left the bike with no braking power. It's difficult not to 'get your knickers in a twist' when people with no mechanical skill put their faith in a retailer who sell AND maintain bikes to provide a properly functioning and safe machine and are let down so frequently. Would you rather I rubbed my hands with glee and think, as an independent bike mechanic,"Whoopee! More money for me" ?
Last edited by peetee on 15 Jul 2018, 2:46pm, edited 1 time in total.