Will chaning tyres make a noticeable difference?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
1982john

Will chaning tyres make a noticeable difference?

Post by 1982john »

I'm looking to change the tyres I got on a bike purchased a few months ago. I'm finding the bike really slow going - which is no doubt mostly down to my lack of fitness! However, I'm wondering if changing the tyres might help.

The bike came with these tyres:
http://road.cc/content/review/195668-clement-xplor-ush

They were great in spring when doing some occasional offroad but planning to do some tours which will be 95% tarmac.

Would change to something like these: @ 700 x 32 help reduce rolling resistance on the road?
https://www.tweekscycles.com/uk/contine ... 00c-245097
Vorpal

Re: Will chaning tyres make a noticeable difference?

Post by Vorpal »

Almost certainly. Although is does somewhat dpened on the size, and air pressure of the tyres in question.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
hodge

Post by hodge »

If it's rolling resistance you're looking for, this website might be of interest:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... ke-reviews

there are much better tyres these days than gatorskins for rolling resistance and grip.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

You could always do as the review you posted suggested, and use a pair of these:
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOHY/ ... lding-tyre

Being slick means that mud or wet grass may be awkward, but they will be noticeable quicker on road.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Yes the gatorskin’s have better rolling resistance, but I would try running the current tyres at a higher pressure first, they will be more versatile,and you can change once they are worn out.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using hovercraft full of eels.
NUKe

Post by mercalia »

the thing that stops me going fast is in decreasing importance a) the wind b) the wind c) weight d) fitness e) gearing f) tyres
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

NUKe wrote:Yes the gatorskin’s have better rolling resistance, but I would try running the current tyres at a higher pressure first, they will be more versatile,and you can change once they are worn out.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using hovercraft full of eels.

I don't know about 32mm Gatorskins but in 25mm they don't roll too well at all. On the rolling resistance drum test a 25mm Gator at 7 bar measures 20.2 watts while a 35 mm Vic. Hyper at 4 bar measures only 17.7 watts. On a rough surface it will be no contest, and neither will comfort.

There is no doubt that at around 15mph or less on a level surface tyres make a big difference. Just don't expect them to help on hills!
meic

Post by meic »

I keep on seeing this stated.
Every year I take off my 35mm Vittoria Hypers and put the 25mm front 28mm rear Ultragators (sometimes Rubino Pro) on to do the local 200k Audax and each time I do so I feel the slight benefits in my speed and ease of rolling.
Yma o Hyd
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

That's interesting. The rebuild of my Dawes Audax is in part to revisit narrow tyres. I've put on Schwalbe One Vguard 25 mm to replace plain wired Gatorskins also in 25mm. These are supposed to roll better than Hypers. and I think I can feel it. I can also feel the rougher ride on broken surfaces. That's running 6 bar on the Schwalbe Ones and 4 bar on the Hypers.

Probably decent narrow tyres at correct pressure are better on smooth surfaces and decent wider tyres better on rough.

Dawes messed up proper on the Audax fork. It's light and springy 531c but the brakes are towards the top of the slots and there's no clearance for 28mm tyres with 'guards. At the back it's the frame that's not ideal - brake is OK this time but the seat stay bridge is a little too close.
meic

Post by meic »

Probably decent narrow tyres at correct pressure are better on smooth surfaces and decent wider tyres better on rough.

There are bits of the Audax where I feel I would be faster on the Hypers but I would put it at less than 1% of the route.
Yma o Hyd
the_twin

Post by the_twin »

Your wallet will be lighter, and this will help when going up the hills.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

mercalia wrote:the thing that stops me going fast is in decreasing importance a) the wind b) the wind c) weight d) fitness e) gearing f) tyres

Haha I agree however the easiest thing to change probably goes in the reverse order of that list.
scottg

Post by scottg »

I use garden hose from Aldi to make up tyres,
far superior Conti Gatorskins.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

1982john wrote:I'm looking to change the tyres I got on a bike purchased a few months ago. I'm finding the bike really slow going - which is no doubt mostly down to my lack of fitness! However, I'm wondering if changing the tyres might help.

The bike came with these tyres:
http://road.cc/content/review/195668-clement-xplor-ush

They were great in spring when doing some occasional offroad but planning to do some tours which will be 95% tarmac.

Would change to something like these: @ 700 x 32 help reduce rolling resistance on the road?
https://www.tweekscycles.com/uk/contine ... 00c-245097

There's a hint in the road.cc link for the tyres you currently have ...

And yes, much to my surprise the voyager hypers do feel quicker, even for me. And in 700x32 have a nice rounded profile instead of slightly "pointy", which is probably why the bike feels more stable wizzing down hills than on the original Marathons or the vittoria randonneur pros that I tried (or maybe its the lack of squirming tread). You could get them on 700x35 quite cheaply from Planetx last time I looked.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !