Drying your padded shorts

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Vorpal

Re: Drying your padded shorts

Post by Vorpal »

Audax67 wrote:I managed to dissuade him from drying his shorts at the other end.

I saw a cyclist a few days ago with a pair of shorts flapping off the back of a loaded rack. :lol: :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PeterT

Post by PeterT »

Assuming you are in a hotel (eg premier inn) or b and b and be able to use the roll up towel method, I have finished them off in the morning with a 10 minute blast with a hair drier.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I use the stomping on the towel technique. It worked brilliantly on cycling t shirts while touring last week. I tried the same method this morning after getting caught in a deluge on the commute but the travel towel I had at work isn't as effective. Towel mass seems to be important.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

At 90% of recently visited campsites ....
Enter shower.
Throw cycling kit to the bottom of shower stall.
Shower while treading kit.
Wring kit out.
Dry body and dress
Walk around shower block to tumble dryer and insert kit
Dry ... :lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

UK cycling, send via post a fresh pair of shorts/jersey to every other place you're staying at and post back two days worth from each place in turn. Cuts down taking more kit so space for other stuff, unnecessary washing stuff, pegs, string or what have you, cuts out the 'it's late, washing kit is the last thing I want to' cuts out the where can I wash and the worry of the can I get these dry in time/where to hang.

A few extra quid that cuts out so much aggro, why wouldn't you is the question.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I was up on Dartmoor the other day and met up with some LEGOGers. Two ladies and one gent.
Hot sunshine and a good breeze up there.

One lady had her knickers drying on the rear rack, and the other lady had her bra draped over her handlebars! :D
The gent didn't seem to have any washing drying. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

:lol: :lol:
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I used rolled up towel and in the morning if shorts slightly damp I put them on and go to breakfast. They're dry in about 20 mins.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

The utility cyclist wrote:UK cycling, send via post a fresh pair of shorts/jersey to every other place you're staying at and post back two days worth from each place in turn. Cuts down taking more kit so space for other stuff, unnecessary washing stuff, pegs, string or what have you, cuts out the 'it's late, washing kit is the last thing I want to' cuts out the where can I wash and the worry of the can I get these dry in time/where to hang.

Do you actually do this? For what length of tours? Must admit it doesn't sound utility to me. What about all the packing materials you need to carry? Do you need to visit the post office to get various packages weighed?
Sweep
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Sweep wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:UK cycling, send via post a fresh pair of shorts/jersey to every other place you're staying at and post back two days worth from each place in turn. Cuts down taking more kit so space for other stuff, unnecessary washing stuff, pegs, string or what have you, cuts out the 'it's late, washing kit is the last thing I want to' cuts out the where can I wash and the worry of the can I get these dry in time/where to hang.

Do you actually do this? For what length of tours? Must admit it doesn't sound utility to me. What about all the packing materials you need to carry? Do you need to visit the post office to get various packages weighed?

The thing that strikes me about this idea is , How many pairs of shorts would you need to own for a two week trip?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

HUmm
Looking at Royal Mail .. 0.5kg about 4ukp ... that would be 8 ukp for one there and one back.

Looks a bit pricy to me ... Australia Post do a 0.5kg satchel for $1.25 for a 5 pack.. so that is $0.61 each anywhere in the country (somewhat larger than the UK). They are a plastic bag with post paid .. should be suitable for damp things https://shop.auspost.com.au/pack-and-po ... e-satchels
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

In the days before kindle, I used to post my books home to myself when I finished them, so I didn't have to carry them around. I've posted a few other things, also. But never my shorts.

I don't think I could get through a week without washing some, anyway.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Warin61 wrote:HUmm
Looking at Royal Mail .. 0.5kg about 4ukp ... that would be 8 ukp for one there and one back.

Looks a bit pricy to me ... Australia Post do a 0.5kg satchel for $1.25 for a 5 pack.. so that is $0.61 each anywhere in the country (somewhat larger than the UK). They are a plastic bag with post paid .. should be suitable for damp things https://shop.auspost.com.au/pack-and-po ... e-satchels

Yep.

It also means that your shorts dictate your tour - having to cycle to prearranged placers at particular times to be re-united with your underwear :) Hardly freewheeling is it? Must admit something rather smells about this idea/conceit, and I don't think it's the shorts.
Sweep
The utility cyclist

Sweep wrote:

I haven't but I threw it out there as an idea that came to me whilst reading. I've suggested in the past having bikes sent by courier to mainland Europe as an option to flying with the bike as it works out massively cheaper and far less hassle.
If one is tight on pannier space and/or you don't want to wash your kit or maybe even don't have enough time then the idea is a viable option. I don't understand what you mean by it not being 'utility', what has that got to do with anything? This is a solution to a situation that crops up.
What packing materials, they're shorts, they don't need packing materials do they, do you not see that the package the shorts arrive in you use to send back, it's not rocket science. You hand it over to hotel staff to post or drop at local post office, how is spending 2 minutes in a post office a problem, it's certainly vastly less time and effort over washing and drying shorts isn't it, by a LOT. Maybe you don't ever pass a post office nor stop in a place that can post for you, in which case it's not for you, it was merely thrown out as an idea.
The utility cyclist

Paulatic wrote:
Sweep wrote:

The thing that strikes me about this idea is , How many pairs of shorts would you need to own for a two week trip?

I own 6 pairs of shorts, 3 bib shorts and 2 pairs of padded mountain bike/casual shorts, I don't think that's unusual.
The idea is not for everyone and not everyone does a two week tour in any case, the idea does negate the problem that was queried and that does arise when going away cycling.