Rear Flashers??

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Woodtourer

Rear Flashers??

Post by Woodtourer »

Should I leave them at home??
With our upcoming European tour I was wondering about the above? We have rear lights powered by our Dyno hub and as I recall flashing rear lights are frowned upon in Europe.
So.....
Tigerbiten

Re: Rear Flashers??

Post by Tigerbiten »

I leave mine on my trike-trailer rig.
My dynamo lights are on all the time as DRL.
The rear flashers are only used if it's dark/wet/foggy as I think they are better than constant lights at getting a drivers attention in bad weather.
If I'm told they are illegal by the countries police, then I'll just set to a constant light mode until not needed.

YMMV ...... :D
meic

Post by meic »

I recall flashing rear lights are frowned upon in Europe.

I dont really feel the need for flashing lights in such countries.

When I cycle through France at night, I feel supremely safe with just a steady back light powerful enough to satisfy the law and (compulsory for most of my riding) a Hi-Viz.

The "Christmas Tree" phenomenon is a reaction to UK road dangers and doesnt really need exporting to cycle friendly countries.
Yma o Hyd
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

meic wrote:
I recall flashing rear lights are frowned upon in Europe.

I dont really feel the need for flashing lights in such countries.

When I cycle through France at night, I feel supremely safe with just a steady back light powerful enough to satisfy the law and (compulsory for most of my riding) a Hi-Viz.

The "Christmas Tree" phenomenon is a reaction to UK road dangers and doesnt really need exporting to cycle friendly countries.

Seems like a bit of extreme brit bashing. And I rather thought french drivers had a fairly poor reputation. Backed by statistics. Me? I do sometimes use a steady light but will always be using a flasher wherever I am.
Sweep
meic

Post by meic »

I found that in France the nightime road place was generally much more moderate than here in rural Wales even.
Much less use of highbeam, dipped lights were much more dipped in angle than here, less street lighting and dimmer ones too, no cats eyes. That lack of competition made me feel the single steady rear light stood out quite adequately and the HiViz would be seen in the headlights before it any way.
Yma o Hyd
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

did they change the law here then? I though it was still a requirement for a constant red light.

although 30 years ago was the only time I got pulled over - half an hour into the first run with with my brand new vistalite.

the copper didn't care if they were legal or not, he pulled me over to ask about it because it was so effective.
meic

Post by meic »

Most flashing lights that you can buy are now allowed.
However very few of them actually meet the letter of the law making them qualify as having an official rear light. This is really splitting hairs though.
Yma o Hyd
mjr

Post by mjr »

crazydave789 wrote:did they change the law here then? I though it was still a requirement for a constant red light.

The law changed more than a decade ago. Flashing lights remain obnoxious to other road users, though. Go steady.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ossie

Post by ossie »

Yes.

Bring your flashing lights. Any rear light is better than no light and I've used flashing lights around the UK and Europe without issue.
meic

Post by meic »

I could well be out of date but I think they are still illegal in Germany and Netherlands. I have no idea if this is enforced.
Yma o Hyd
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

IME in NL the authorities would consider it a win to have you showing any kind of light at night (for city cycling at least...); you might get a comment from other riders mind, depending on how obnoxious the flash is.
Last edited by JakobW on 15 Jul 2018, 10:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

If you are planning on doing any riding in the Alps, then a rear flasher is useful when riding through tunnels, especially if it can be switched on whilst riding along.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Just for info - the term "flasher" means something very specific in UK English. To quote wiki "A person who displays his or her body in a form of indecent exposure ".
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

simonhill wrote:Just for info - the term "flasher" means something very specific in UK English.

Homonyms are also very common in English, and "flasher" is one of them
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/homonym
mjr

Post by mjr »

andrew_s wrote:
simonhill wrote:Just for info - the term "flasher" means something very specific in UK English.

Homonyms are also very common in English, and "flasher" is one of them
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/homonym

However, flashing lights are indecent ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.