Can the UK survive John Cleese leaving ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
meic

Re: Can the UK survive John Cleese leaving ?

Post by meic »

Likewise I am not much interested in the formal rules of grammar.
I stick to first principles like
then expect readers to understand you?

If it wasnt in the sentence before, I would look before that sentence. As we were in a conversation about one person I would already know exactly who we talking about, without any need to backtrack.
Yma o Hyd
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Tangled Metal wrote: ... It's not my strength to one much about grammar or best practise in writing but I'm sure I got taught that at primary school.

Out of interest, what was your intended word here? I get the drift from the context, but I can't guess the actual word.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Know?
[youtube]tTv5ckMe_2M[/youtube]
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

JC the one we are talking about is good at PR, or he has someone to do it for him, like Boris (Becker), nearly everyone knows him but I bet many younger people do not know that he was a great sportsman, he has had money trouble too. It is a bit like books, a few authors are famous but many others are good too
Why is Sting so famous, does he have PR people? I think Mark Knopfler is much better

Some of JCs stuff was/is in bad taste, rather unnecessary I think
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cyril Haearn wrote:JC the one we are talking about is good at PR, or he has someone to do it for him, like Boris (Becker), nearly everyone knows him but I bet many younger people do not know that he was a great sportsman, he has had money trouble too. It is a bit like books, a few authors are famous but many others are good too
Why is Sting so famous, does he have PR people? I think Mark Knopfler is much better

Some of JCs stuff was/is in bad taste, rather unnecessary I think

There are lots of comedy sketches from the past that reflect, mock or highlight unpleasantry, bias and bigotry

At the time they were “acceptable” and perhaps we should sometimes look back in that light.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

I think the celebrity 'My country is so bad I've decided to leave' is a well-worn refrain and there are usually other reasons, whether financial, political or legal why they are doing it. Cleese, though a Lib Dem voted Leave but likely isn't well-connected to the UK nowadays and l think his reasons are spurious at best.

And let's see what he does. At the 2015 election Paul O'Grady promised to move to Venice if the Conservatives won. He didn't and later accepted that issues like displacement of the locals and high house prices were actually worse in Venice than London.
gnvqsos

Post by gnvqsos »

If I knew Paul O Grady,the thinking womans Cilla Black was threatening to inflict herself on the lucky Italians I would have voted Tory.Having said that the Tories came fourth where we live,and still beat Liberals.My altered vote would have had little effect on the overall figures.
Flinders

Re: John Cleese

Post by Flinders »

Cyril Haearn wrote:To paraphrase Showell Styles:
On the Bheinn one is as far away from the spirit of mountains as in the waiting room at Moreton-in-the-Marsh railway station
There are hundreds of other mountains n Scotland, all easier to climb (all lower at least) :wink:

Ah, a Showell Styles reader! I've only read the childrens' books - the 'Shop on the Mountain' ones, and I've never found anyone else who has ever read those. I keep meaning to see if I can find his other stuff. What's it like?
Cyril Haearn

Re: John Cleese

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Flinders wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:To paraphrase Showell Styles:
On the Bheinn one is as far away from the spirit of mountains as in the waiting room at Moreton-in-the-Marsh railway station
There are hundreds of other mountains n Scotland, all easier to climb (all lower at least) :wink:

Ah, a Showell Styles reader! I've only read the childrens' books - the 'Shop on the Mountain' ones, and I've never found anyone else who has ever read those. I keep meaning to see if I can find his other stuff. What's it like?

Very good
*The Mountains of North Wales* is in my top ten, out of thousands
I think he wrote lots more tooo
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies