Thorn voyager tandem pannier rack options

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tinribs

Thorn voyager tandem pannier rack options

Post by tinribs »

Hi there

Can anyone suggest any options for a pannier rack for a thorn voyager childback tandem? It'll need longer stays due to shape. Thorn suggested their own rack but wanted to explore cheaper options.

Thanks for any advice.
foxyrider

Re: Thorn voyager tandem pannier rack options

Post by foxyrider »

The Tortec racks are good for the money, just buy a pair of Tubus 350mm stays (they use the same bar diameter so work very well for this) and jobs a good un! Certainly cheaper than the dubious Thorn racks and market leaders Tubus.

Otherwise you might find a Dahon Tour rack that would fit but might need some remaking.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Ironicallyy your answer may still be SJS Cycles!

They do one of the widest range of racks around

Look for extended stays, then work backwards...Does the company offering extended stays offer a rack that suits?

Can that extended stay let you fit a preferred rack?
tinribs

Post by tinribs »

Thanks very much for your advice. I've actually got an old Tortec expedition rack. Seems to fit okay at the hub. I've ordered a couple of 350mm stays from SJS. Would anyone know where to get replacement rack screws to attach the rack to the bike at the eyelets on bottom of rack and the stays? I guess I an probably find them in b and q or local bike shop but just in case anyone knows an easy product to order would be a big help.

Thanks again.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

tinribs wrote:Thanks very much for your advice. I've actually got an old Tortec expedition rack. Seems to fit okay at the hub. I've ordered a couple of 350mm stays from SJS. Would anyone know where to get replacement rack screws to attach the rack to the bike at the eyelets on bottom of rack and the stays? I guess I an probably find them in b and q or local bike shop but just in case anyone knows an easy product to order would be a big help.

Thanks again.

You can get a pack of a hundred M5x10 or 15 S/S bolts at Screwfix for the same as 10 at B&Q. Lifetime supply! Get S/S washers while you are at it.

BTW - you might need to trim some off the stay length and reuse the caps from the Tortec stays.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!