Schwalbe One Problem?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Cube Rider

Schwalbe One Problem?

Post by Cube Rider »

My 2017 Cube Agree C:62 SL came fitted with Schwalbe One kevlar 700 x 25c tyres, I have just done about 2,500 miles. This morning whilst replacing a faulty inner tube valve I noticed what looked like threads of cotton appearing from where the tyre fits the rim, also other marks around the side walls.

Has any other member had anything similar occur? I look forward to your views and any advice.

fossala

Re: Schwalbe One Problem?

Post by fossala »

As it's so close to the rim and then stops in a perfect line with constant radius* have you checked it wasn't caused by badly adjust brakepads or calipers?

*struggling to express what's in my head.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Looks like the brake block has been catching the side of the tyre.
Cube Rider

Post by Cube Rider »

Thanks guys Iv'e checked that thought and the brake blocks for both wheels are a good 1/8" away from the wheel rim.
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

Cube Rider wrote:Thanks guys Iv'e checked that thought and the brake blocks for both wheels are a good 1/8" away from the wheel rim.

Do you mean 1/8" away when the brakes are applied? Make sure that when applied the top edge of the brake block is just slightly below the top edge of the rim. I find it quite difficult to get it just right; if set too low the bottom edge of the brake block overhangs the bottom (inside) edge of the rim.
Last edited by NetworkMan on 19 Jul 2018, 9:43am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

When the blocks touch the rim it drags them forward, that could be causing them to touch the tyre
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

note also that the pivots for the two arms on a DP brake make the brake blocks swing in a way you might not expect; typically in a front brake the right brake block swings lower as it wears, but the left side brake block swings upwards and tyre damage arising is not at all unusual.

The marks on your wheel rim suggest very strongly that the brake block has been contacting the rim too high up and this will cause tyre damage if the brake block overhangs the top of the rim when the brake is applied.

BTW 2500 miles is quite a good life for those tyres; might be time for some new ones anyway.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

Brucey wrote:note also that the pivots for the two arms on a DP brake make the brake blocks swing in a way you might not expect; typically in a front brake the right brake block swings lower as it wears, but the left side brake block swings upwards and tyre damage arising is not at all unusual.

Thanks for pointing that out - you live and learn!
BTW do you know if there are standards for the width of a brake track? I've just fitted my new wheels with Kinlin XR22T rims and was relieved to find that the track is just about the same width as the one on the old wheels - just about OK for my V-brakes.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
It could also be wrap from the carcase weave, like with old conti grand prix?
I don't know the tyre so cant say for sure also is there a groove from the brake pads on tyre?
Attachments
Example of construction
Example of construction
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

brake track widths and brake block widths vary. In many cases it is necessary to adjust the height of the brake blocks (more than once) as they wear, which is rather annoying.

Note also that the brake blocks are usually tapered in cross-section, making the applied brake block width wider as it wears; this (in combination with the asymmetric swings) often means that the upper edge of the RH brake block stays about the same height on the rim, even if the lower edge slips off the brake track. WIth the LH arm, it is more of a double-whammy, and the upper edge of the brake block 'climbs' appreciably, very often into the tyre.

cheers
peetee

Post by peetee »

Do check the caliper is securely mounted on the frame and the caliper arm pivot bolts are adjusted so there is no deflection when braking. I have seen examples of both even on Shimano calipers. Also is your rear axle loose? That can cause enough lateral movement to put the tyre to the pad. Especially with V brakes where the upward sweep on release brings the tyre very close even on a healthy wheel.
Finally. Is the end of the front mech cable in the way?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Mattievrs

Post by Mattievrs »

Could also be from running the tyres at a lower pressure so the weight when ridden has caused the tyres to sag and constantly roll on the rim outer.
From Leicester
Road and mtb are my thing. Aswell as cars,women,fire,meat and beer.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
It could also be wrap from the carcase weave, like with old conti grand prix?...

if those are long strands coming out of that part of the tyre, in the last photo, I agree it is probably a disintegrating chafer ply (very common on contis) and more or less nothing to worry about. Still worth double-checking the brake block positioning though.

cheers
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

I have used the previous version of the Schwalbe One for years and the chafer always starts unravelling as in the second photo. This starts happening earlier if you run your tyres at lower pressure.

Not a problem as long as enough chafer remains to prevent the casing from directly touching the rim at the contact patch over big bumps. Pull the loose threads off by yanking them tangentially to the rim to avoid causing more unravelling.
Cube Rider

Post by Cube Rider »

Hi Guy's thanks a million for your replies, I did email Schwalbe and sent them the same photo's and got this reply, one point I didn't include in my OP was that I run both tyres at 100psi.
Hi Mick

Thanks for your email – good to hear from you. I hope your two Cubes have been looking after you well in the fine weather we have been having, my agree has been enjoying not having to be hosed down after every ride for a change on the UK roads.

That which you describe and based on the images provided is something I see from time to time and is not an concern for a tyre usage. This is what we refer to as “threading”, something we see from time to time (and can happen with any model of tyre and I see with other manufacturers also) which does not affect the tyres usability, albeit it is rather unsightly and can be disconcerting when first noticed. The threads coming loose are part of the chafer of the tyre which is made up of woven cotton material, which prevents the carcass chafing on the rim. In this case some of these cotton yarns are not clamped in between the rim and tyre bead and become loose, because of insufficient rubber coating, meaning they can be pulled free, perhaps when riding or cleaning the bicycle. You can simply cut the yarn and go on riding though as these threads are effectively excess to requirements as they sit above your rim / tyre interface. It is not dangerous because the chafer is a separate part of the tyre and does not belong to the carcass – some tyres don´t even need a chafer. Even if you completely remove the chafer (and this is only possible if the tyre is off the rim), the bead is still completely hidden by the carcass.

Whilst a little alarming the tyres are still safe to use as the bead and carcass as not affected by this issue however should you have further concerns it may well be worth popping the bike by your retailer so as they can take a look in person and give a more complete assessment of this situation.

Kind regards

Will