Help with frame identification.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
peetee

Re: Help with frame identification.

Post by peetee »

I don't think the forks on your Holdsworth are correct for that frame. They have a racing style crown and no mudguard eyes and the rake looks too short to my eye.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
robmowbray

Post by robmowbray »

Many thanks for the reply

I initially suspected it might be a Mistral/Super Mistral. However, when I've compared the profile of the lugs, the profile seems different – they seem more cut-away. See attached images. Is there much variation in the lug style within the same model/style?
Attachments
IMG_5104.JPG
IMG_5117.JPG
robmowbray

Post by robmowbray »

Re: Front forks – The front forks have the same correspondinbg serial no. 67318K stamped on them (see pic), so they were certainly paired at some point in the manufacturing stage. Beneath the scratched paintwork I can detect evidence of chroming on the drop-outs and bottom portions of the rear stays and front forks. Does that help with the identification?
Attachments
IMG_5102.JPG
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

there is a chart listing the following categories

Pre-War.
Post war 5 Digit numbers and the continuation of this from 1965.
Early 60's 4 Digit numbers (1962-1964).
Shop numbers from 1965 with 1st 2 digits for the year.
Early 70's 4 Digit series (with leading zeros) including branded frames.
6 Digit System from 1976

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B62q1UtsrkVVWUZYSTNKZkN4TmM

from this thread

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/1095723-holdsworth-frame-numbers.html

which attempts to cast a light on the whole subject. Not sure if the K qualifies as a sixth digit or not, but yours could be a 'shop frame'. I note that the stamping on the fork is differently done vs that on the frame, so the fork might possibily be later replacement, hence the lack of eyes etc.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rjb

Post by rjb »

The rear brake hanger looks like it has been cut off a quick release universal centre pull hanger and brazed on. It looks similar to a front q/r hanger I have. Universal Mod 61 centre pulls were introduced in 1961 so this may help you date it.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
robmowbray

Post by robmowbray »

Many thanks for the replies.
The linked database includes reference to a frame with a similar serial no. 67117K. This similar Holdsworth branded frame appears to date from 1967 and was probably produced in the WF Holdsworth Putney Shop. K signiifies it was built for stock to sell from floor. The shop made Italia Tourers for stock. Reg Collard, head frame builder did most of the "specials".