Getting to Lands End from Scotland to start

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
PH

Re: Getting to Lands End from Scotland to start

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:Inverness to Edinburgh on Scotrail.
Edinburgh to Penzance on Cross Country.
Damned long way on the train, so you'd need a sleeper service. Dunno which train providers that do sleepers from Edinburgh to Penzance. You'd have to look it up.

It's 14 hours, yes that's a long time on the train, mitigated by it being a short journey at the other end. I'm happy to spend that amount of time on a train without sleeping, the sleeper is something to consider but it isn't needed.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, just looked it up.
https://www.gwr.com/tickets/#/8649/3526 ... /1/1/N/N/N
£244.40 if you go this Monday.
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:Yes, just looked it up.
https://www.gwr.com/tickets/#/8649/3526 ... /1/1/N/N/N
£244.40 if you go this Monday.

Yes, but most people plan their E2E more than two days ahead!
I looked before my original post, I found tickets for £120 without much effort, that could probably be improved upon.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Are you saying Mick F's not looking hard enough? :lol: :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I just looked to see the timings ............ and the cost of course.
It's a long way - 700miles? - and even at £250 it's only 36p a mile.
Do if for £120 and it's down to 17p

Can't drive a hire car for that, even at £250.
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:I just looked to see the timings ............ and the cost of course.
It's a long way - 700miles? - and even at £250 it's only 36p a mile.
Do if for £120 and it's down to 17p

Can't drive a hire car for that, even at £250.

Yes, I didn't think otherwise, certainly no intention of arguing over it, I suspect if it was your money you were spending you'd have researched it better.
The economies change with the size of the group of course and I don't think the OP has said if it's a solo ride or if there's others. For a couple the train still probably just eases it, once there's more than that it swings the other way even if it's possible by train at all.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Of course you can do it like I did in 2006 and do it both ways. This saves the heartache and hassle of getting you and bike to start/finish.

On the plus side of this, is that you're sitting on the best form of transport known to man, so you may as well turn round and head for home.

Minus side, is if you don't have enough time off work, it takes three weeks and you may not be able to fit it in.

I was lucky and if I were to do it again, I'd do it both ways again.

Chat Noir on these very pages did a YETEY a few years ago. York to LE to ,JOG to York.
York end2end York so theoretically you can do it from anywhere.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Next Saturday at 0755hrs there's a train and it's £151! I did it both ways in 1990 and it cost me £69 return from Birmingham New Street.
Maybe you could try that split ticket website?
whoof

Post by whoof »

Just did a quick search
EasyJet Inverness to Bristol £22.21 + £42.00 bike + £12.00 hold luggage =£76.21
I've just booked some train tickets Bristol to Penzance on some ticket splitting site £26.00
Total £102.21
andfyv

Post by andfyv »

Sorry for not replying sooner, looks like my notifications were turned off. Thanks for taking the time to leave your comments.

The route is not final yet. My plan was to leave lands end and head to lizard point (southerly most point) that's why i'm planning to stay around truro on the first night. going to Dunnet Head as well which is the northerly most point.

Not sure where i'm going after samye ling monastery, the plan was to head west, but i might go through Glasgow although my plan has always been to avoid the big cities and see the country. I'm been to Glasgow hundreds of times so would prefer a more scenic route. The extra miles don't bother me and will only add to the adventure of going places if never been before. I think that's my mind made up :D

Flying and send my bike by courier is my new plan, as long as i can find a cheap courier that should work out great.

Thanks again for all the suggestions
whoof

Post by whoof »

andfyv wrote:Sorry for not replying sooner, looks like my notifications were turned off. Thanks for taking the time to leave your comments.

The route is not final yet. My plan was to leave lands end and head to lizard point (southerly most point) that's why i'm planning to stay around truro on the first night. going to Dunnet Head as well which is the northerly most point.

Not sure where i'm going after samye ling monastery, the plan was to head west, but i might go through Glasgow although my plan has always been to avoid the big cities and see the country. I'm been to Glasgow hundreds of times so would prefer a more scenic route. The extra miles don't bother me and will only add to the adventure of going places if never been before. I think that's my mind made up :D

Flying and send my bike by courier is my new plan, as long as i can find a cheap courier that should work out great.

Thanks again for all the suggestions

I bought a bike from the for sale section on here last year. The shipping was done through the company below for £12.19 but actually delivered by ParcelForce. You would have to check about the cost from Inverness as some couriers consider some parts of Scotland as not being mainland UK!
https://www.senditnow.com/parcel-delivery
RickH

Post by RickH »

SenditNow is part of the Royal Mail Group so unsurprising that they use Parcelforce, also part of the Royal Mail Group. :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Inverness to Crewe on the seated sleeper, then change for day train to Penzance should get you there for around £130 and sufficiently rested to start cycling that day, and without the faff of assembling your bicycle.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Ron wrote:Inverness to Crewe on the seated sleeper, then change for day train to Penzance should get you there for around £130 and sufficiently rested to start cycling that day, and without the faff of assembling your bicycle.

All these things are greatly dependant on what you need to be sufficently rested. My mother can as she describes it, 'sleep on the clothes line' and for her she would probably be snoozing 5 minutes after getting on at Inverness. For me it would be 14 or so hours of being awake but really tired with a numb behind.
CubbyJaggy

Post by CubbyJaggy »

I am now wanting to do this journey how long does it take ? and is there anyone who would be willing to go with someone who has a physical disability that may well make it VERY EXTRA HARD XD