Car indicators

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
hamster

Re: Car indicators

Post by hamster »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Seems really perverse that there are no proper standards, indicators inboard of the lights, that is perverse, surely they should be outboard, on the corners. Maybe it does not matter so much because one should never trust indications or lack of them

Indicators are equally controlled by lighting regs. The reason they have been moved off corners is to preserve contrast - many corner-mounted ones could become almost invisible with oblique sunlight behind them, which lit up the inside of the light cluster.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Morris Minor had semaphores that folded out from the B-pillars :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

There is a lot of regulation of vehicle lighting, some at country level, eg RVLR in the UK, but most of the technical regulation is done by UNECE for the European market. I think a lot of that is harmonised almost worldwide now.
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

I'm glad but sad that it's not just me then finding some modern car indicators difficult to see. Thought it was my eyesight going with old age :(
I guess it's the government dropping a priest again just like they did with the dumb meters, I mean smart meter rollout which is proper priestoxed.
Whatever happened to the idea that anything requiring approval, er had to be approved against British standards, not the lowest standard somewhere in the EU. You can't see some of those indicators unless you stare at the stupid things, you should be able to take in all the information you need in a single 0.6 second look, not having to pause what yer doing for several seconds as you search the unfamiliar layout of a upcoming car to see if any bit of it is actually weakly flashing.
freiston

Post by freiston »

fullupandslowingdown wrote:I'm glad but sad that it's not just me then finding some modern car indicators difficult to see. Thought it was my eyesight going with old age :(
I guess it's the government dropping a priest again just like they did with the dumb meters, I mean smart meter rollout which is proper priestoxed.
Whatever happened to the idea that anything requiring approval, er had to be approved against British standards, not the lowest standard somewhere in the EU. You can't see some of those indicators unless you stare at the stupid things, you should be able to take in all the information you need in a single 0.6 second look, not having to pause what yer doing for several seconds as you search the unfamiliar layout of a upcoming car to see if any bit of it is actually weakly flashing.

What does "dropping a priest" and "priestoxed" mean?
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

dropping a priest... B o l l o c ks is old english for priest as heard in Regina vs Sex Pistols 1977.
hence priestoxed is bolloxed :lol:
freiston

Post by freiston »

I must have heard that before and let it slip my mind. Just looked it up - the defence barrister was John Mortimer, author of Rumpole of the Bailey
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Bmblbzzz wrote:There is a lot of regulation of vehicle lighting, some at country level, eg RVLR in the UK, but most of the technical regulation is done by UNECE for the European market. I think a lot of that is harmonised almost worldwide now.

Except in North America where they insist on overloading the brake lights with the function of an indicator...

Utterly ridiculous...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.