Blackwell Mill Cycle Hire Monsal Trail

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
foxychick

Blackwell Mill Cycle Hire Monsal Trail

Post by foxychick »

I am thinking of cycling the monsal trail but it would mean cycling from buxton station to the trail start for 3.5 miles along the A6, does anyone know what this road is like for cycling on, is it very busy hilly etc, thank you for any replies in advance.
Oggi

Re: Blackwell Mill Cycle Hire Monsal Trail

Post by Oggi »

The A6 is fairly unpleasant to cycle but not hilly. From Buxton to Topley Pike where you join the Monsal Trail it is generally downhill. A better way is to leave Buxton to the NE and take Woo Dale down to the A6 which only leaves a few hundred metres on the A6. It is however uphill out of Buxton to Fairfield, about 1 mile.
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

Is the woo dale route offroad oggi? Thank you for your advice.
Oggi

Post by Oggi »

The last few hundred meters is grass and steep. Easy to walk but a bike with 28mm tyres can do it in the dry.
Oggi

Post by Oggi »

There was discussion about changing the surface and it’s 2 years since I was there. Even if you had to walk it all it’s only a few hundred meters downhill.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Oggi wrote:The A6 is fairly unpleasant to cycle but not hilly. From Buxton to Topley Pike where you join the Monsal Trail it is generally downhill. A better way is to leave Buxton to the NE and take Woo Dale down to the A6 which only leaves a few hundred metres on the A6. It is however uphill out of Buxton to Fairfield, about 1 mile.

How is the route at the A6 end, & which way should you go? I've looked at it on the map & been unsure which way is the right/best way. (& I am not over that way often). Last time, earlier in the year, I was piloting a road tandem so decided to give exploring that bit a miss that time. We picked up the Monsal trail at Millers Dale. Hardybarn Lane down to Cowlow seems to be the most (potentially) tarmac but then looks like it becomes a steep bridleway down to the bridge across to the A6. The OS 1:25k marks an intermittent cycle route a bit further west down to Woolow Farm that looks like it picks up a track to a different bridge across the river.

An alternative I've done part of* would be to follow the A515 south out of Buxton. You can either choose to stay on the A515 or bear right to Harpur Hill (the name gives the game away), then turn left (either crossing the A515 or turning left off it depending on which option you chose earlier) & follow the minor road to Cowdale which has a "mini-alpine" descent with a couple of hairpins down to the A6. There is about a mile on the A6 from there to the turning for the Monsal trail but it is mostly downhill. (*We'd come over the Cat & Fiddle - in January, in the snow - and cut across to Harpur Hill from the A53.)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Oggi

Post by Oggi »

If you are on a tandem you would need to be very confident. In that case I would take the Harpur Hill road and down Cowdale. The bit of A6 from the bottom of Cowdale is ok as it is wide and no sharp bends. It is all tarmac. I went over Harpur Hill today and it’s a longish hill but not too steep. It’s better than staying on the A515.