A lipogram

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
661-Pete

A lipogram

Post by 661-Pete »

For any who know nothing about this, a lipogram is a tract of writing which totally omits a particular symbol of our orthography. In this illustration, it's that which follows "D" and is prior to "F" in our "A-to-Z" list, which fails to occur in any part of this post.

Can you follow this form?

Using a word list such as that of Rog., is OK.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Re: A lipogram

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:For any who know nothing about this, a lipogram is a tract of writing which totally omits a particular symbol of our orthography. In this illustration, it's that which follows "D" and is prior to "F" in our "A-to-Z" list, which fails to occur in any part of this post.

Som*on* wrot* a nov*l sans th* l*tt*r, difficult I think, in Fr nch!
Hard to p*rus* too probably

It occurs in your sig :wink: (pleas* dnt chng th sig)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
661-Pete wrote:For any who know nothing about this, a lipogram is a tract of writing which totally omits a particular symbol of our orthography. In this illustration, it's that which follows "D" and is prior to "F" in our "A-to-Z" list, which fails to occur in any part of this post.

Som*on* wrot* a nov*l sans th* l*tt*r, difficult I think, in Fr nch!
Hard to p*rus* too probably

It occurs in your sig :wink: (pleas* dnt chng th sig)
Good try, but wrong approach. Star symbols should not occur. Words not having symbol in, at all: that's what's sought for, in this group of posts. Book in Français is La Disparition, by G. P., btw.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Laesst sich das Buch gut/normal lesen, oder merkt man bald das was nicht stimmt?
Can one read and enjoy the book normally, or does one soon suspect that something is not quite right?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

What, like I am writing with nothing between a T or a V? Simple really if thinking hard avoiding a certain vowel. There are some glaring constonants too I might add. After Y and between P and R. Have I missed any others?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog's back.
Mick F. Cornwall
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It is difficult to say much without that common symbol. Many illuminating and classificatory words consist of it. To say nothing of words for which I switch 'that' or small words, such as go with 'is', 'am', 'was', 'has', 'had', and 'do'. Happily, conjunctions mainly do not bring into play this good and worthy unit. Thus can I say 'and', 'for', 'but', 'although', or 'nor' so oft as I wish.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Congratulations to Vorpal who is first and only individual who has stuck to my proviso (Brynp - you didn't fully comply).
gaz

Post by gaz »

Avoiding this particular non-consonant is tricky, a situation with many hoops to jump through.

Vorpal did amazing work in constructing a striking initial appraisal. I am honour bound to supply my flag waving congratulations on that fantastic paragraph. Knowing how to support your own position without a fifth glyph, using dramatic words is notably skillful.

I am unworthy.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

gaz wrote:I am unworthy.
Not so: you display bountiful worth. Good work!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

gaz wrote:Avoiding this particular non-consonant is tricky, a situation with many hoops to jump through.

Vorpal did amazing work in constructing a striking initial appraisal. I am honour bound to supply my flag waving congratulations on that fantastic paragraph. Knowing how to support your own position without a fifth glyph, using dramatic words is notably skillful.

I am unworthy.

<<blush>>

And good job similarly avoiding that symbol!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

But what's it all about?
The crucial point?
Why would I want to do it?
A glyph that portrays a sound so common in our vocal tract, the glottal stop!
Much is lost.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Although most conjunctions do not contain that symbol, many small joining words (I cannot say which kind), for a fact, do. An irritation, this lack of small joining words, and grammatic classifications that contain that symbol!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

A Void ("Anglais" translation of La Disparition by OULIPO author with initials G.P.), contains not a solitary glyph of that fifth position in A-to-Z. Following is initial paragraph of that work:
Today, by radio, and also on giant hoardings, a rabbi, an admiral notorious for his links to Masonry, a trio of cardinals, a trio, too, of insignificant politicians (bought and paid for by a rich and corrupt Anglo-Canadian banking corporation), inform us all of how our country now risks dying of starvation. A rumour, that's my initial thought as I switch off my radio, a rumour or possibly a hoax. Propaganda, I murmur anxiously—as though, just by saying so, I might allay my doubts—typical politicians' propaganda. But public opinion gradually absorbs it as a fact.
Fascinating, is it not?
gaz

Post by gaz »

It is obvious that banning just a solitary non-consonant has brought chaos and confusion to this forum board.

How to avoid this? Blank you mind, not a solitary thought. Stop all drumming from occuring. Rhythmic soundings may assist, rapping if you will, as if to summon musical wood nymphs to mysticological conclusions. How silly that sounds.

How about disallowing two? Shoud I try it, or would discord follow? Hmm, I think not.