Drying your padded shorts

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
The utility cyclist

Re: Drying your padded shorts

Post by The utility cyclist »

Warin61 wrote:HUmm
Looking at Royal Mail .. 0.5kg about 4ukp ... that would be 8 ukp for one there and one back.

Looks a bit pricy to me ... Australia Post do a 0.5kg satchel for $1.25 for a 5 pack.. so that is $0.61 each anywhere in the country (somewhat larger than the UK). They are a plastic bag with post paid .. should be suitable for damp things https://shop.auspost.com.au/pack-and-po ... e-satchels

Think your pricing is well out £2.90 for a 2kg parcel, that's paying over the counter. One has to weigh up if spending £xx is better than all the hassle of taking washing bits, actually washing and drying shorts every day and worrying about drying them, which was the question posed by the OP.
Personally I have enough shorts for the touring I do and take them all with me, I don't wash kit, it's too much hassle and means I have to take other stuff to wash it properly.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

The utility cyclist wrote:
Paulatic wrote:[q]

The thing that strikes me about this idea is , How many pairs of shorts would you need to own for a two week trip?

I own 6 pairs of shorts, 3 bib shorts and 2 pairs of padded mountain bike/casual shorts, I don't think that's unusual.
The idea is not for everyone and not everyone does a two week tour in any case, the idea does negate the problem that was queried and that does arise when going away cycling.

You mean a total of 11? Is not unusual.
I did my recent LEJOG carrying 3 pr using 2 of them and keeping an old pair for emergency. On my return I’ve thrown the old pair, used once on trip, away so my current total count is 2 pairs. I’m struggling to see why I’d lay out more money on more. :D
As for washing equipment shower gel is good enough and I’ve always two pegs clipped on a brake cable. A habit from my Audax route sheet days.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mjr

Post by mjr »

What I like best about this idea is that anyone trying it will arrive home to either a door that's difficult to open because of the stack of smelly kit built up behind it or more likely a load of "we'll keep your parcel for X days then return it to the sender" cards and you'll probably get complaints about the parcels when you collect them from the delivery office unless they were plastic :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

On all of my end to end trips I've carried a spare pair of shorts. wear one pair for two days unless its been exceptionally hot, wash that pair with shower gel wring out out and leave on floor (carpet)/radiator or open on towel. if its damp and you need to put them on, put them on, they will soon dry out. if not what the difference between them, and getting wet from rain? never had a problem. If your stopping at a B&B ask to put them on the washing line. most B&B's are glad to help.

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Some B and B's will wash your kit for you and dry it! This happened twice on our Jogle. We also washed all of our clothes, except the ones we were wearing, on our rest day at Ludlow. Dropped them off at the landerette who did a service wash for us. Cost less than a fiver.

I wouldn't wear shorts for more than a day, as that's a recipe for saddle sores. We always wash ours at the end of each day and use the towel drying method.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
robing

Post by robing »

On my recent LEJOG I travelled very light and took just one cycling top and 2 pair of shorts - which I wore at the same time! I've taken to wearing two pairs of shorts and I find it A Lot more comfortable. So wear them two days running, then reverse them and wear the outer ones inside for another two days and then wash :) It worked very well until the long train ride home. The train was late and it meant I couldn't catch my little branch train home so I had to cycle the last few miles which meant putting on my (by this time) extremely smelly cycling gear on again!
fionat

Post by fionat »

Debs wrote:Take two pairs of shorts

Take sudocrem :)
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

ah so insults thrown at my suggestion results in my posts being removed despite just answering a query, how very typical!
sbcoombs

Post by sbcoombs »

It may not have been popular but there was a logic behind your suggestion. I see no justification for removing it.
In fact, I discussed a similar idea recently for a multi day ride.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

sbcoombs wrote:It may not have been popular but there was a logic behind your suggestion. I see no justification for removing it.
In fact, I discussed a similar idea recently for a multi day ride.

His suggestion wasn't removed, just an exchange with another user about it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Igobybike

Post by Igobybike »

Well I just want to say that the rolling in towel method really works, so thanks for starting this thread and to whoever discovered it and suggested it!
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I wash bib shorts in the shower, usually with the gel provided. Then roll in bath mat. Then use both ends of bath towel. Meanwhile I am air drying and finish me off with hand towel. Works well in summer.