Bike tools on planes

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Antbrewer

Bike tools on planes

Post by Antbrewer »

I will be flying out in September with my bike to Austria. This is my first time flying with the bike so I am having to consider everything for the first time. I would imagine that taking the necessary tools one needs for a fortnight's touring in the cabin luggage might be 'frowned upon' if not immediately confiscated?
So thoughts on how to pack them if they are not allowed as hand luggage please

Anthony
nirakaro

Re: Bike tools on planes

Post by nirakaro »

Definitely immediate confiscation. Pack them with the bike.
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

My buddie had his multi tool taken away. Deffo hold luggage.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G930F using hovercraft full of eels.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Not just airlines!!

Some like the Topeak Aliens have locking knife blades that make them technically illegal to carry

The advice I was given was that if it is in the bottom of a pennies with other tools and a spare tube, no-one would be greatly concerned, but in your pocket or being waved around in the pub would probably see it being confiscated and a quiet word being had.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Definitely on the bike. If you normally carry them in a pannier that you are taking on board (i.e, no seat pack on the bike), put them in a water bottle on the bike, or just put them in a small plastic bag and tape it the bike.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

How are you packing your bike?

To me this is the first question. If in a box, then no problem sticking in a few extra things. Less easy, but still possible in a poly bag.

Remember to secure anything to bike as box or bag can be damaged.

Nothing sharp, or weapon like, etc, etc as carry on. Why risk it?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Pumps are included in the banned list of cabin luggage, in my experience
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

And locks
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

Anything that can go bang is a problem. Not allowed anywhere on/in the plane... not even checked hold luggage.

No Co2 bottles at all. (as used for tyre inflation)
    No gas bottles at all either. (as used for camping stove)
    If your carrying a fuel stove .. you need to purge it and talk to your airline about it - the regs say written permission is required.

Anything that could be used as a weapon in not allowed in the cabin.

tools
    locks

The above lists are not complete. If you want more google dangerous goods on aeroplane.
Last edited by Warin61 on 27 Jul 2018, 12:12am, edited 1 time in total.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

As above; any tools any gas canisters must be in the box / bag with the bike. Put them into some sort of frame bag/ small saddle pack and secure to the bike when packing it up.... you do not want free floating bits of tools banging around against the frame.....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Thanks to all the comments on this one.
The bike will be in a CTC polybag and my intention is to heavily insulate the frame and vulnerable parts with possibly foam pipe insulation. The necessary allen keys and spanners can be tucked away in this foam out of sight.
I have read on the forum how someone had their tools stolen from the bag/box when retrieving their bike. This would be a nightmare in trying to reassemble the bike so I am very aware of having the tools away from prying eyes and hands.

I hadn't thought about the lock or pump so thank you for that titbit. I will not have any Co2 or gas with me as I am not camping.

Any more personal experiences on this subject are welcome. I don't go until mid September so I have time to fine tune my planes.
Anthony