Action camera that doesn't fog

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
sirmy

Action camera that doesn't fog

Post by sirmy »

Hello, I've been using a Sony Az20 for couple of years and generally it's good, small, easy to use, good image stabilization, loose battery though. The main problem is that in cooler and cold weather the housing, especially the dome above the lens, steams badly. I've tried just about every remedy suggested on the net from drilling holes in out of the way parts of the case to silica gel pouches and kitchen towel, which actually seems to work best.

As the camera is now a few years old I was wondering about a replacement and wondered if anyone can recommend a camera, with image stabilization, that doesn't fog?
Cunobelin

Re: Action camera that doesn't fog

Post by Cunobelin »

GoPro do anti fog inserts that are basically paper strips that absorb the condensation

I don't know if they fit other camera cases
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

Good binoculars don't fog because the air inside them is dry (lacks water content).
The case has to be air sealed and water tight.

Is the camera case air sealed?

If not then in the long term water (moisture) will enter and you will get fogging.
The only thing you can do is constantly remove the moist air from the case and replace it with dry air.
Dry silica gel pouches will do that .. but need constant replacement as they do the job of absorbing water .. but get full.
Silica gel pouches that are left exposed to the air will become full fairly quickly.
sirmy

Post by sirmy »

I haven't tried antidote sheets, most people seem to find that they make little or no difference.

The case is said to be air tight to a couple of metres. There is a seal around the lens dome which probably restricts the flow of air around the lens but it probably also offers some protection to the lens .

Silica gel packs, even several stuttering the case make no difference.
brucelee

Post by brucelee »

I've had stacks of action cameras and I ended up with a couple of GoPro hero sessions which have worked great for years (daily usage) without any fogging problems and do not require a waterproof case. Although the internals are open to the atmosphere when the little door that provides access to the SD card and USB connection is open, the air between the sensor and a glass face is sealed. I've come to admire a number of practical design elements these cameras have. Word of warning though - you can't change the battery (it's built in) and the files it produces are huge (2GB for 12 mins) and there is nothing you can do about it. Image stabilisation is good.
Hope this helps,
Bruce.
sirmy

Post by sirmy »

The Gospel session was one of the cameras Ive been looking at so that's good to know