Chain Bath Cleaner And Chain Cleaning

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
foxychick

Chain Bath Cleaner And Chain Cleaning

Post by foxychick »

What is the best gear to be in when using one of these? I have 8 cogs at the rear and 3 chainrings at the front. According to the kmc website you should never use a degreaser or chain bath as it may damage the chain and make it prone to breaking, anyone had this happen to them or thoughts on this issue? Thank you in advance for any replies.
Last edited by foxychick on 27 Jul 2018, 9:35pm, edited 2 times in total.
mjr

Re: Chain Bath Cleaner

Post by mjr »

Full hazmat suit. Not sure what's wrong with the mickle method.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

foxychick wrote:What is the best gear to be in when using one of these? I have 8 cogs at the rear and 3 chainrings at the front. Thank you in advance for any replies.

Well assuming this isn't a wind-up:

You back-pedal when using (most of) them, so its not that important. I guess if you select a high gear at the back, you'll get maximum space to install the cleaner.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Invest in a small ultrasonic cleaner which uses water and washing up liquid and doesn't splash.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Invest in a removable quick link for the chain.
Take the chain off and drop it into a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Tupperware sort of tub is good.
Pour in a degreaser. Gunk, white spirit or whatever.
Tighten the lid and shake the jar.
Keep doing it until your arm aches, then swap arms.
Repeat until you are bored or tired.
Fish the chain out and wash it in hot soapy water.
Rinse in hot fresh water.
Hang it up to dry.

It it's not clean enough to eat your dinner with ............. repeat the above.
Mick F. Cornwall
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Airsporter1st wrote:
foxychick wrote:What is the best gear to be in when using one of these? I have 8 cogs at the rear and 3 chainrings at the front. Thank you in advance for any replies.

Well assuming this isn't a wind-up:

You back-pedal when using (most of) them, so its not that important. I guess if you select a high gear at the back, you'll get maximum space to install the cleaner.

I have one (Super B brand) which relies on you to forward-pedal, rather back-pedal. One advantage of it is that with some care I can run through the gears while using it, cleaning the teeth of every sprocket on the cassette as well as the chain. The disadvantages are that you have to put the bike in a workstand and you have to hang the bike so that the chainstay is near-horizontal. (Also the cleaner itself is a bit flimsy.)

With the back-pedal ones, the thing is to choose gears that keep the chain as straight as possible, to reduce the chances of the chain coming off while you're using the cleaner.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Simple answer to the OP's enquiry:-middle ring,middle sprocket as that is a straight chainline and is less likely to derail when backpedaling through the chain scrubber :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
foxychick

Re: Chain Bath Cleaner And Chain Cleaning

Post by foxychick »

According to the kmc website you should never use a degreaser or chain bath as it may damage the chain and make it prone to breaking, anyone had this happen to them or thoughts on this issue?
531colin

Post by 531colin »

KMC 8 speed chain I use is about £8, at that price I reckon they are pretty much disposable. I throw away a lot of chains and keep my cassettes and chainrings for years. (Yes, really, years)
If you really, really want to clean them its a long job to do it properly, as Mick F explains.
If you just play at cleaning them, you will end up with muck and debris and degreaser inside the chain where you will then get wear and rust.
this is a perennial topic, there is more than one chain wear thread in "too good to lose"....lots of contradicting advice, I haven't the determination to read it all again.
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

I thought that after about about 1000 miles that fitting a new chain would also require new sprockets and chainrings as well because a new chain does not work with old sprockets and chainrings?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

531colin wrote:KMC 8 speed chain I use is about £8, at that price I reckon they are pretty much disposable. I throw away a lot of chains and keep my cassettes and chainrings for years. (Yes, really, years)
If you really, really want to clean them its a long job to do it properly, as Mick F explains.
Yes, buy cheap chains and chuck 'em out when they're dirty.

Otherwise, buy two or three expensive ones and swap them as they become dirty, so you can spend time cleaning them without having your bike off the road. One on, one in the wash, and one ready.
Mick F. Cornwall
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Mick F wrote:Otherwise, buy two or three expensive ones and swap them as they become dirty, so you can spend time cleaning them without having your bike off the road. One on, one in the wash, and one ready.

Does this get complicated if you're using two or three bikes on a regular basis?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

fausto99 wrote:Invest in a small ultrasonic cleaner which uses water and washing up liquid and doesn't splash.

Do you have a recommendation? One sees various prices, sizes and reports concerning good function or its lack ...... ?

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

De Sisti wrote:
Mick F wrote:Otherwise, buy two or three expensive ones and swap them as they become dirty, so you can spend time cleaning them without having your bike off the road. One on, one in the wash, and one ready.

Does this get complicated if you're using two or three bikes on a regular basis?
Both my regular bikes have the same chains.
I have one clean and one brand new, plus a three worn ones. They are worn, but not badly worn but I keep them as a "just in case".
Campag Veloce 10sp.
Mick F. Cornwall
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Cugel wrote:
fausto99 wrote:Invest in a small ultrasonic cleaner which uses water and washing up liquid and doesn't splash.

Do you have a recommendation? One sees various prices, sizes and reports concerning good function or its lack ...... ?

Cugel

There are loads of these on eBay atm.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/600ml-Ultras ... 0506.m3226

Mine is 750ml like this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/750ml-Digita ... SwVoFasljN