Recumbent trike - should I ?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
liffy99

Recumbent trike - should I ?

Post by liffy99 »

Spent a very pleasant couple of hours at ICE HQ in Cornwall today, having my first ride in a trike. In fact two as I did my best to compare an Adventure HD 26 and Sprint 26. Wholly different experience from my DF and I know it would take a few miles to get accustomed to the difference. But, I did find it hard work, especially uphill, and know I would have been significantly faster on my DF.

My big issue however is recovering from ill health, which I am hoping a trike would help me more than a more uncomfortable DF. A heart attack and double bypass 4 years ago, and a broken femur (which resulted in a hip replacement 4 months ago after over a year of a failing screw repair) has made things rather difficult and means I get in significant discomfort, probably mostly due to muscle wastage.

Am I being too impetuous at the moment regarding a trike or should I try and build up some strength and flexibility on my DF first ?
At the moment I am just getting out on 10-12 mile level circuits in the Somerset levels, so not too taxing.

And on a different note, has anyone tried loading a folded trike in the back of an Audi TT ? I think one might go in length and height ways but width may be a problem.

Thanks
[XAP]Bob

Re: Recumbent trike - should I ?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

OF COUrse you should go for it ;)

They are different - the ICEctrikes fold pretty small (given what they are) so I would expect it to fit. I think they used a fiesta in their videos...

Takes a few hundred miles to get bent legs - you will be slower uphill, but you’ll always make it...

The safety (hip wise) is not to be ignored.

Don’t forget the second hand market if you are concerned about the cost being a ‘whim’ - my first trike was a second hand one that I justified as a years cheap rental (it wasn’t going to lose value)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Bikes`n`guns

Post by Bikes`n`guns »

What`s a DF ?
OldBloke

Post by OldBloke »

The recumbent riding position uses different muscles to an upright (diamond frame - DF) position. If you have had some muscle wastage it could take three months or so to develop your 'bent legs. Once you get to a similar level of fitness to before you should find that you will be slightly slower up hills, about the same on the flats and faster downhill than you were before. However, you will finish your ride with less aches and pains and having enjoyed a better view of the scenery.

So, I'll add a big yes, you should get yourself a trike.

OB
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Just to go off topic, I've discovered that DF isn't always 'Diamond Frame'

Many riders at the World HPV Championships rode DF's

http://www.elan.cc/index.php/DF_Velomobiel.html

Back on-topic, perhaps keep the trike and trade in the TT for something easier to get in and out of and with more room for a wider choice of trikes? Our latest car purchase involved nothing more than a tape measure and a validated petrol mpg of >60mpg

Enjoy the triking - ICE VTX trikes pretty much trounced all the other unfaired trikes at the championships so ICE have an excellent pedigree - and you're going to love the comfort :D
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

If you've weak legs the I'd be inclined to think you'd want to go for the 20" back wheel size.
This will naturally step your gears down by vs the 26" model, it basically gives you another gear down.
That way hill climbing will be easier but slower until you build your bent legs.

The other option I'd look at would be short ~150 mm cranks.

As for putting it folded in the back of a car ....
I found it was more the weight rather than the sheer size that made it tricky to put mine in the back of my old car folded.
So I've now a small SUV, so it fits in the back unfolded ...... :D
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

I bought a used Ice trike as I had balance issues which precluded my use of a DF. It did seem to take an age to build up m leg strength on the trike as it uses very different muscle groups and requires lots of spinning, something I was never good at. However I can now comfortably ride all day on the trike and I'm able to climb any hill, just very slowly. As you are in Somerset should you get the trike this Facebook group may interest you: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1669047716480391/
liffy99

Post by liffy99 »

Thanks for the comments but I am keen to drive the TT. Boot space with rear seats folded is about 900 wide, 1350 long and max 600 tall but the problem is largely with the steep slope of the hatch which goes from less than 300 high at the rear to the max 600 towards the front.

From pictures I am hoping that a folded trike (eg an ICE Sprint) might fit with boom pointing towards the rear and perhaps down to the floor with pedals in line with the boom. May even be able to slide the boom in to get another few mm clearance.

But i guess the only way to know is to somehow try it. Or get accurate measurements of the TT such as floor to roof height at points along the length of the boot floor. In other words an accurate side elevation drawing.

If there is anyone with a TT (mk2) that has tried, please let me know.

Cheers
OldBloke

Post by OldBloke »

Some trikes, like the Greenspeed, have quick releases for the front wheels which result in a small fold that should easily fit in the TT.

Azub (azub.eu) also have easily removable front wheels and an option for a very small fold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twyS_ymq-KE

OB
liffy99

Post by liffy99 »

Hmmm, interesting, thanks.
I think though my mind is set on an ICE trike and will reconsider the car if necessary (VW Scirocco perhaps).Good to have ICE in the UK for support when needed and you cant fault their information and dedication,
So now looking out for the right bike (if no joy in the next few weeks I will probably cough up for a new one ready for the spring).

But now my memory of my short test rides is fading. I could ride both the Sprint and Adventure HD I tried with the latter more comfortable (unsurprisingly for a beginner) for my 101kg, 1.91m and 47” X Seam frame. I am looking at a used Adventure HD 20 and Sprint X as I type.
Would have liked the Adventure with a 26 rear (ground clearance more than anything) and the gearing on the Sprint X may be a bit tall, as well as the smaller cockpit, but hey, I am not going to fing a used bike in the ideal spec.

Any tall, heavy riders here had a chance to compare the Adventure and Sprint ? What is your experience ?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ice do a QR kit
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I looked at the ICE range having owned a Trice since 1994... an original Peter Ross

However I decided on an HP Velotechnik Gekko for two reasons. First if the clamp ever failed, the frame closes as opposed to opens which was a safety concern, and secondly the seat remains within the fold.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

liffy99 wrote:Would have liked the Adventure with a 26 rear (ground clearance more than anything)...
As in ground clearance for the rear mech with a 20" rear wheel? Unless going seriously off road, not a problem IME, and makes the trike noticeably more compact. Without rear suspension with a 20" wheel would be more of a concern for me.
"42"
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Bikes`n`guns wrote:What`s a DF ?

"Diamond Frame"
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Of course with three wheel you don’t lean into corners, so your ground clearance doesn’t change as youncorner