Post by Cunobelin »

gnvqsos wrote:
Postby Cyril Haearn » 8 Jul 2018, 10:38am
I like paying taxes

Plenty of taxes should control behavior, so one may choose not to pay them
Alternative facts welcome
Cycling? Of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
To

Taxes have nerer controlled behaviour,and people have no option but to oay the tax.

The use of tax to control behaviour works. The massive tax on cigarettes raising the price is an example that is attributed to reducing the level of smoking, particularly in lower income cases

... and yes there is a way of avoiding the tax - don't buy tobacco
gnvqsos

Re: Road Tax for Electric Bikes ?

Post by gnvqsos »

Unread postby landsurfer » 26 Jul 2018, 10:22pm
Surely there is a mistake.
The post title ?
Should it read ..
Road Tax for Motorbikes.

The fundementa lmistake lies with cyclists who think an electirc bike is different from a motorbike or scooter.They are powered vehiicles dependent upon fossil fuels for their source of power.I shall be urging my MP to raise the uissue in the Commons.At present they are an anomoly and need to be addressed urgently,as they are apotential menace.At present their cost is such that they lie beyond the teenage market,but as technology advances their costs will plummet and soon teenagers will afford them-at which point there will be opressure to eithr ban them or subject them to tax.I would supoert banning them form bridal paths and toe paths,and exclkude riders under 17 and over 70 unless the elderly can pass a simple proficiency test.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

There has been some comparative stuff in the Telegraph, or was it the Grauniad, (I read both daily) about the total lack of health benefits derived from E-Bikes.
Instead of being an entry point to pedal cycling it is rapidly becoming it's own dead end.
Strangely ( :roll: ) obesity levels within a group of E- cyclists did not drop but amongst pedal cyclists it did ...
I am more concerned about the idiot that paid for the research !
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

E-bikes are definitively cycles and not motorcycles, they also have a real and genuine place in the diversity of cycling
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

gnvqsos wrote:
The fundemental mistake lies with cyclists who think an electirc bike is different from a motorbike or scooter.They are powered vehiicles dependent upon fossil fuels for their source of power.

Another bizarre assumption that is totally out of touch with the reality. E-bikes are assisted bicycles. If you don't like that change the law!

Or will you also be ranting about Electric cars because the fundemental mistake lies with motorists who think an electric car is different from an HGV or double decker bus.They are powered vehicles dependent upon fossil fuels for their source of power.

I shall be urging my MP to raise the uissue in the Commons.At present they are an anomoly and need to be addressed urgently,as they are apotential menace.At present their cost is such that they lie beyond the teenage market,but as technology advances their costs will plummet and soon teenagers will afford them-at which point there will be opressure to eithr ban them or subject them to tax.

I would be interested in any substantiated evidence to support your claims that they are a "potential menace". At the moment this is your own unsubstantiuated personal anti E-bike bias.

Also, once again, will you be including electric cars as well? all these rants in this paragraph apply equally to electric cars. You have repeatedly ignored the opportunity to answer why you have singled out E-bikes for taxation, yet have failed to give any coherent reason why this should be the case, or any criteria for your tax

I would supoert banning them form bridal paths and toe paths,and exclkude riders under 17 and over 70 unless the elderly can pass a simple proficiency test.

Again an ill informed rant with no connection to reality. Apart from your own biased and unsubstantiated claims , what is your evidence for this ban?

There is nothing to support it as there is no literature that shows e-bikes to be any more dangerous in these circumstances than ordinary bikes?

In the simplest form, if your claim had any reality base, we should have seen massive increases in accidents in these areas proportional to the rise in use of E-Bikes...... it hasn't happened.

Also when you grink your MP, will you be including all cyclists, all electric vehicles, and will you be demanding these tests fo ALL electric vehicle

After all no sane person would demand a proficiency test to allow the use of a bicycle when that same person has the ability to drive a petrol or electric car.... would they?

To help understand your irrational hatred of E-Bikes, could you provide a few bullet points to justify the demands for taxation and limitation of use?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Under the bridge,under the bridge,under the bridge lived a..........
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

I must admit though that I do find it funny that anyone can talk so much [.moderated.] :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Troll!!

I must admit though that I do find it funny that anyone can talk so much [.moderated.] :-)

Look a Surly Troll (E-Bike).... although I do believe that mythical Trolls can also be Surly

Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

reohn2 wrote:Under the bridge,under the bridge,under the bridge lived a..........

Mythical creature that imposed taxes without any justification apart from their own misplaced and unsubstantiated claims
gnvqsos

Post by gnvqsos »

It is a bit sad to cry troll instead of making a decent argument.E-bikes are simply a dilute version of an electric motorbike-or a smaller version of an electric car,both being dependent on burning gas and lignite.They are assisted in theory but many are ridden by somewaht overweight riders,possibly unable to finance the expense of a decent motorbike/scooter.In the nearfuture theymay be banned unless their persistence is justified by tax revenues.
Last edited by Graham on 29 Jul 2018, 8:42am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quotation incompetence
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

gnvqsos wrote:
It is a bit sad to cry troll instead of making a decent argument.E-bikes are simply a dilute version of an electric motorbike-or a smaller version of an electric car,both being dependent on burning gas and lignite.They are assisted in theory but many are ridden by somewaht overweight riders,possibly unable to finance the expense of a decent motorbike/scooter.In the nearfuture theymay be banned unless their persistence is justified by tax revenues.

You are absolutely correct.... and very ironic in this statement

There have been repeated coherent arguments, and questions asked. It is a bit sad that you repeatedly fail to engage and in doing so support your ranting with any form of decent argument.

Reiterating your biased and ill informed ranting and refusing discuss any of the points is not a reasonable or decent argument

Care to answer any of the points raised?

Lets start with why you feel that E-Bikes should be taxed because they are the equivalent of an electric car, yet you don't seem to think that a heavier car, with greater fuel consumption and more particulate pollution should be taxed?
Last edited by Cunobelin on 29 Jul 2018, 9:04am, edited 2 times in total.
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

gnvqsos wrote:E-bikes are simply a dilute version of an electric motorbike-or a smaller version of an electric car,both being dependent on burning gas and lignite.

I don't understand this point. Many people fuel electric cars entirely from sustainable sources, either by using a sustainable energy supplier, or through their own solar or wind setups. It's even easier to achieve this with the low power demands of an e-bike.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

rfryer wrote:
gnvqsos wrote:E-bikes are simply a dilute version of an electric motorbike-or a smaller version of an electric car,both being dependent on burning gas and lignite.

I don't understand this point. Many people fuel electric cars entirely from sustainable sources, either by using a sustainable energy supplier, or through their own solar or wind setups. It's even easier to achieve this with the low power demands of an e-bike.

It is one of the best laughs I have had is that someone wants to tax e-bikes because they use a fossil fuel!!!!!!

Can you think of any other vehicles that would come into the category of using fossil fuels and also therefore be eligible for this new tax?

I must grink my MP.........
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

rfryer wrote: Many people fuel electric cars entirely from sustainable sources, either by using a sustainable energy supplier, or through their own solar or wind setups. It's even easier to achieve this with the low power demands of an e-bike.

Nonsense, if i move from Eon to "a sustainable energy supplier" the power coming out of the plug on my wall does not suddenly change source.
It's from the grid!
Whoever i pay my bill too has no effect on the colour of the electricity coming into my house.

Next you will be telling me financially traded carbon offsets are reducing the effect of climate change :lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

landsurfer wrote:
rfryer wrote: Many people fuel electric cars entirely from sustainable sources, either by using a sustainable energy supplier, or through their own solar or wind setups. It's even easier to achieve this with the low power demands of an e-bike.

Nonsense, if i move from Eon to "a sustainable energy supplier" the power coming out of the plug on my wall does not suddenly change source
It's from the grid!
Whoever i pay my bill too has no effect on the colour of the electricity coming into my house.

I'm not sure what what you mean by the power coming out of the plug. The electrons that may migrate between your wiring and the flex have probably been there all along, and have never been near a power station, renewable or otherwise.

My belief is that by insisting that my power needs are satisfied by renewable sources, I'm part of the solution. If everybody did that, there'd be increased drive to generate more renewable energy, and the economics of burning fossil fuels would become less compelling.

I pay for enough renewable energy to be put into the grid to satisfy what I take out. That's good enough for me; you're welcome to your own view.