Fitting Garmin Edge Securely

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Grarea

Fitting Garmin Edge Securely

Post by Grarea »

I wondered how everyone attached theirs.
I have a Garmin Edge 200.
I think my bars are pretty narrow though now I come to think about it.

I always found that the whole thing slipped around (especially in the rain).
Then, as i take it off every day, the band stretches which means you have to hold the base and that hurts your fingers.
Then the band broke eventually.

So I ended up taping some old inner tube to the bars and using small zip ties linked together and done diagonally.

It is pretty secure now, but I wondered if you had a more elegant solution.
foxyrider

Re: Fitting Garmin Edge Securely

Post by foxyrider »

You can get replacement bands.

Use two crossed diagonally - have three bikes set like this on the stem and no issues in 18 months of constant use.

Of course you could use one of those ahead mount things.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Colin_P

Post by Colin_P »

One of the "out front" type mounting brackets would alleviate your issues, very secure.

A genuine garmin one is quite expensive but non genuine ones can be had cheaply elsewhere online.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

When I had my first Garmin I had it on the stem and two bands securing it, one band on hooks 1 & 3 and the other on hooks 2 & 4. I now use outfront mounts on both bikes and have bought numerous over the years.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Grarea wrote:Then, as i take it off every day, the band stretches …

They’re not made for that. The point of the quarter-turn quick-release is to avoid having to remove the mount every day.

The Garmin out-front mount is very solid (and heavy!) but the price is abusive. I’ve only owned it as part of a bundle. I can recommend the SRAM out-front mount as a simple and lightweight alternative.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

1) Leave the bracket in place. That's why there is the 1/4 turn set up.
2) Use tighter bands. I use bits from inner tube. Complete pig to get them on but they never move. Be aware that inner tube does eventually fall apart in sunlight. I'd check them every few years. :D If you use inner tube there will be no casual theft of the bracket.
If buying out front mounts get metal ones and ideally the correct size for you bars as over sized ones with packers vibrate a bit as can plastic ones.
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

Also make sure you’re using the rubber base that goes under the mount. I’ve lost count of the number of people I’ve seen who have lost this, and then not only do you need tighter bands due to lost thickness but the hard plastic of the mount has less friction on the bars.

I’ve been using the quarter turn mounts for several years on many bikes with bars from 22.2mm up to 31.8 and never had one slip, only issue has been occasional band snapping due to perishing in UV light.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Grarea wrote:I wondered how everyone attached theirs.
I have a Garmin Edge 200.
I think my bars are pretty narrow though now I come to think about it.

I always found that the whole thing slipped around (especially in the rain).
Then, as i take it off every day, the band stretches which means you have to hold the base and that hurts your fingers.
Then the band broke eventually.

So I ended up taping some old inner tube to the bars and using small zip ties linked together and done diagonally.

It is pretty secure now, but I wondered if you had a more elegant solution.

I'm going to assume yo are leaving the mount in place and it's the 200 you are removing every day, hence the fingers hurting. I've used small cable ties to good effect instead of the band in the past. An out front is the best solution, as others have stated.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Grarea

Post by Grarea »

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I hadn't thought to look for alternative mounts.
I just kind of assumed that it was what it was.
Looks like the out front one is the way forward.

I have just been rereading the answers and realised that I have maybe not explained myself properly.
I do not remove the mount, just the unit itself and the twisting of the unit to remove it is what stretches the bands.
They were original bands. I got it as tight as I could with the bands hence looking for an alternative method.

amediasatex wrote:Also make sure you’re using the rubber base that goes under the mount. I’ve lost count of the number of people I’ve seen who have lost this, and then not only do you need tighter bands due to lost thickness but the hard plastic of the mount has less friction on the bars.

Ah.
I didn't know this was a thing.
That is what comes of buying second hand doesn't it?
That is why I wrapped an inner tube round the bars to create more friction.
Added to the fact that I think my bars are quite narrow.

Again, thanks for all of your responses, much appreciated.
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

Grarea wrote:
amediasatex wrote:Also make sure you’re using the rubber base that goes under the mount. I’ve lost count of the number of people I’ve seen who have lost this, and then not only do you need tighter bands due to lost thickness but the hard plastic of the mount has less friction on the bars.

Ah.
I didn't know this was a thing.
That is what comes of buying second hand doesn't it?
That is why I wrapped an inner tube round the bars to create more friction.
Added to the fact that I think my bars are quite narrow.

Again, thanks for all of your responses, much appreciated.

Ah, so it looks like that may be at least partially your issue. Check the pic below and you'll see there is a rubber base that goes under the mount, adds a bit of thickness and vital friction!

Another alternative is stem mounting, if you have room, as seen below, and also you can just see the rubber base sitting under the mount int his pic.

I think the currently shipping version has a slightly different rubber foot that's a bit sturdier and doesn't have the hole in the middle, so it's a proper 'pad' rather than a 'ring' if you see what I mean, function is the same though. For the sake of £6-£8 might be worth buying a 2 pack of new mounts to get all the right bits.

I've also used a number a top-cap mounts that work if you have a threadless headset by replacing the preload cap on top of the stem, like this:

or offset versions like this:

Grarea

Post by Grarea »

Thanks for that.
I had no idea all of those existed.
Like I say, I just kind of assumed you got what you got.

No, I didn't know that rubber mount part existed either, that would have negated the need for the inner tube possibly. :)

In the meantime, someone has very kindly provided me with an 'out in front' solution.
I am much obliged.

Edit: and, oh yes, the stem idea also looks like quite a good one. Bit disappointed I hadn't thought of that.