Best option for rack mounted reflector rear light - road legal for light and reflector?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tangled Metal

Re: Best option for rack mounted reflector rear light - road legal for light and reflector?

Post by Tangled Metal »

I got a B&M one three in fact and had to get one replaced because it failed first time used. The three now work perfectly well.
tooley92

Re: Best option for rack mounted reflector rear light - road legal for light and reflector?

Post by tooley92 »

Remember folks 'A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!'
mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

I have the older version of this (looks identical but without the auto function) front and rear.
https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/sa ... L-LD570-R/
Sure i got it from amazon but I can't find it there now
Great reflector, good spread of leds and noticable patterns. Does have a brighter led in the centre but much more of a "be-seen" light than a "see by". I think it's great but never seen anyone else with them. Maybe it looks too much like a shop fitted reflector and therefore contravenes the rules.

All the cateye stuff has a standard square fitting so I'm sure you can get all sorts of brackets for it.
hayers

Post by hayers »

tooley92 wrote:I’ve had one of these for years https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s39p226 ... Rack-Light

Me too. They are nominally sealed but I had problem with water getting in corroding the contacts, replaced with same model, but this time vaselined the contacts and added electrical tape around the join, and has since done 3 or 4 years now problem free.
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

+1 for the RSP light from Spa. Mine has stayed waterproof through some extended foul weather trips (though I have greased the cover joint from new), & gives out an exceedingly bright light according to complaints from touring colleagues :) .
The only downside for me was the click-on cover which detached itself a couple of time over large potholes, spilling the batteries. This has been resolved with a couple of bands cut from old innertubes & I find the unit just about perfect now - I'll certainly get another.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Legality is an issue

The classic was the Cateye AU100 BS

The BS denoted legality as it conformed to British Standards

However the reality was that the reflector met BS, the lighting part didn't

gaz

Post by gaz »

Legality of AU100BS is not in doubt. I have a few, light sections all marked as BS6102/3, reflectors as BS6102/2.

The instruction manual, which I might be able to find, does specify that the reflector only meets BS6102/2 when it is mounted by a particular bracket. Depending on when purchased this may/may not have been the one supplied with the light.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

In practice, legality is not an issue, and one of the reasons is precisely because it is so difficult to find BS-approved lights.
gaz

Post by gaz »

AU100BS.jpg
gaz

Post by gaz »

Bmblbzzz wrote:In practice, legality is not an issue, and one of the reasons is precisely because it is so difficult to find BS-approved lights.

Debated everytime a lighting thread appears, the OP has specified their own search is for a road legal option.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Fair point, it's easy to lose track of the OP in a multi-day thread.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

What about "Brexit"?

At the moment you can use a light that meets any EU standard, and many of use use lights like B&M that carry the "K" mark of German standards

With the fanatical view, how many of us will suddenly find our lights illegal?
gaz

Post by gaz »

Cunobelin wrote:What about "Brexit"?

Whilst this issue is somewhat low down my list of concerns I already run a BS rear lamp. I believe I have a stockpile* of BS front lamps in the depths of the shed. They'll need a good dust down but if needs must they should serve as "bobby dodgers" whilst I continue to use my B&M to see where I am going.

*Three
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Cunobelin wrote:Legality is an issue

The classic was the Cateye AU100 BS

The BS denoted legality as it conformed to British Standards

However the reality was that the reflector met BS, the lighting part didn't

I have one but it has a habit of switching itself off when going over a bump :(
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

It's a great light. Discontinued I'm pretty sure.

I use mine touring.

The gripe I gave with it is that although mine seems well sealed, changing the batteries is a real fag - have already chewed up the seal a fair bit - positioning it between the two halves before getting the two bits together is a bit of a struggle.

In general I prefer to use cateyes on the rack with the rack mount. Simple.
Sweep