** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 8927
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm
Location: Sussex

Re: ** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Postby 661-Pete » 4 Aug 2018, 2:45pm

I buy bottled water (*cringe* "shock*)....

But - wait for it! - only in minuscule quantities. I find that the bottled spring variety, less dosed in chlorine than its tapwater counterpart, is less inclined to kill off my sourdough 'starter' (which needs regular 'feeding' with added flour-and-water to keep it alive). One 2 litre bottle lasts me well over a year for that purpose (unless someone drinks it off by mistake!). And the empty bottle always goes in the recycling - if it can be.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

pwa
Posts: 10037
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: ** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Postby pwa » 4 Aug 2018, 3:42pm

661-Pete wrote:I buy bottled water (*cringe* "shock*)....

But - wait for it! - only in minuscule quantities. I find that the bottled spring variety, less dosed in chlorine than its tapwater counterpart, is less inclined to kill off my sourdough 'starter' (which needs regular 'feeding' with added flour-and-water to keep it alive). One 2 litre bottle lasts me well over a year for that purpose (unless someone drinks it off by mistake!). And the empty bottle always goes in the recycling - if it can be.

And if it is plastic waste that is the concern, plastic from water bottles (but not the lids) is easily recyclable, unlike that from yoghurt containers. I stick to tap water mainly because I'm tight. :D

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 8927
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm
Location: Sussex

Re: ** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Postby 661-Pete » 5 Aug 2018, 11:17am

Is it in order to rant about noisy parties in the neighbourhood?

I suppose it's a form of pleasure for some. All we could hear was a heavy thump-thump-thump-thump going on well after 1am. Because of the weather we've been trying to sleep with the bedroom windows open, but this was making it impossible.

I got dressed and went out on foot in search of the offending neighbour. No luck. I explored several nearby streets but none of the houses appeared to be the 'offender'. The noise seemed to be coming from nearly half a mile away. God only knows what it must have been like for people living close by!

In the end I phoned the police but they said it wasn't their remit - they can only turn out if there's a public order offence, and parties don't come in that category. Mrs P then phoned the out-of-hours EHO - they said they'd had some complaints already but no-one had yet pinpointed the offending house, so they couldn't do anything.

All bad things come to an end eventually, I suppose. At long last the noise died down and we were able to snatch some kip.

Next time this sort of thing happens, I think I'll go out and explore on the bike. I can cover a lot more ground that way. And take video of the offending house. And then report them to the EHOs. I don't want the label 'party-pooper', but I do cherish my beauty-sleep....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

brynpoeth
Posts: 10719
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: ** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Postby brynpoeth » 5 Aug 2018, 11:36am

661-Pete wrote:Is it in order to rant about noisy parties in the neighbourhood?

I suppose it's a form of pleasure for some. All we could hear was a heavy thump-thump-thump-thump going on well after 1am. Because of the weather we've been trying to sleep with the bedroom windows open, but this was making it impossible.

I got dressed and went out on foot in search of the offending neighbour. No luck. I explored several nearby streets but none of the houses appeared to be the 'offender'. The noise seemed to be coming from nearly half a mile away. God only knows what it must have been like for people living close by!
..
..

Yes it is ok to complain, somehow the noise is transmitted through the ground or the air

I would not go along and ask them to be quiet, they might be drunk, could use violence

Did see a tip for "revellers": warn the neighbours you are planning a loud party, could be best to neutralise any possible complaints by inviting them to take part :?
Would have been a lot of invites in your case

Can't remember being unruly or having loud parties when I was young mind :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 8927
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm
Location: Sussex

Re: ** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Postby 661-Pete » 7 Aug 2018, 11:34am

There's been a follow-up - the EHO people called us back this morning.

Apparently there were many complaints about the said 'party' (rave?), for miles around, but not one was able to say where the sound came from. The amount of noise emitted must have been incredible. One person even got in his car, apparently, and drove around trying to pinpoint the source, but was unsuccessful.

The EHO suggested it could have been an (unauthorised) offshoot of the Pride event taking place in Brighton that same day - but the sound wasn't coming from that direction. Moreover, the South Downs stand between us and Brighton (about 10 miles away) - surely they would have blocked any sound?

So the mystery remains unsolved.

This sets me thinking, however. Last weekend's Pride was not without its problems, as the media reported - especially chaos at Brighton station. Plenty of finger-pointing, but I think it all boils down to, Too Many People all in one place at once. Last thing I want to do is come across as homophobic, but is it too much of a good thing? Should the organisers be limiting attendance to pre-booked (cf. Glastonbury)?

I am mindful of the highly popular Bonfire celebrations held in nearby Lewes every 5th November (a much smaller town of course). The organisers there now urge people not resident in Lewes to stay away. They can't cope with such huge numbers...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

brynpoeth
Posts: 10719
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: ** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Postby brynpoeth » 7 Aug 2018, 12:06pm

Maybe it could be combined with the London-Brighton-London cycle ride

Mass events can get very dangerous, just saw a film about Woodstock 1968
Used to be a festival in Germany, love parade, there was a crush and some people died

Meet you at Glasto next year? That will be after b****t :(
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

brynpoeth
Posts: 10719
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: ** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Postby brynpoeth » 25 Sep 2018, 7:25pm

661-Pete wrote:There's been a follow-up - the EHO people called us back this morning.

Apparently there were many complaints about the said 'party' (rave?), for miles around, but not one was able to say where the sound came from. The amount of noise emitted must have been incredible. One person even got in his car, apparently, and drove around trying to pinpoint the source, but was unsuccessful.

The EHO suggested it could have been an (unauthorised) offshoot of the Pride event taking place in Brighton that same day - but the sound wasn't coming from that direction. Moreover, the South Downs stand between us and Brighton (about 10 miles away) - surely they would have blocked any sound?

So the mystery remains unsolved.

This sets me thinking, however. Last weekend's Pride was not without its problems, as the media reported - especially chaos at Brighton station. Plenty of finger-pointing, but I think it all boils down to, Too Many People all in one place at once. Last thing I want to do is come across as homophobic, but is it too much of a good thing? Should the organisers be limiting attendance to pre-booked (cf. Glastonbury)?

I am mindful of the highly popular Bonfire celebrations held in nearby Lewes every 5th November (a much smaller town of course). The organisers there now urge people not resident in Lewes to stay away. They can't cope with such huge numbers...

A crazy sort of mass hysteria, like lemmings
Just made a note to stay home 5.XI
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

brynpoeth
Posts: 10719
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: ** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Postby brynpoeth » 9 Dec 2018, 2:06pm

Lots of reviews of 2018 have been published, but the year is not over yet, grrr :?

Quite possible that some Great Events could happen before 31.12

Could This Madness be stopped in the next three weeks?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

User avatar
Cugel
Posts: 2339
Joined: 13 Nov 2017, 11:14am

Re: ** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Postby Cugel » 9 Dec 2018, 9:50pm

brynpoeth wrote:Lots of reviews of 2018 have been published, but the year is not over yet, grrr :?

Quite possible that some Great Events could happen before 31.12

Could This Madness be stopped in the next three weeks?


We humans have been mad for centuries or even millennia, so it seems unlikely we'll come to our senses by 31/12/2018. I know I won't.

Cugel, trying not to run amok with an axe.

mercalia
Posts: 11060
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: ** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Postby mercalia » 11 Dec 2018, 12:46pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46515908

well 2 Catholic nuns go on a Vegas gambling spree and defraud $500,000 and get off scott free as they show remorse? Should have been put in prison like anyone else would be. SO much for the RC standing up for justice and morality. Another "cover up" or soft treatment of their own sinners. The money was presumably given thru donations. Had I been one of the donors I would want some thing more than this weak result? They should end up some where in the picture depicted at the start of this thread?

"Our community is concerned and saddened by this situation and regret any injury to our long relationship with the families of the school," it added. Big deal I would want their blood

Oldjohnw
Posts: 1625
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: ** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Postby Oldjohnw » 11 Dec 2018, 2:09pm

Today's moan: able bodied people who insist on parking their car - often a 4wd - on the double yellow lines just at the supermarket door, blocking the road, when there are loads of spaces in the car park.Presumably because they cannot be bothered walking 100 yards.
John

Cycling and recycling

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17045
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: ** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Postby Vorpal » 11 Dec 2018, 3:25pm

Oldjohnw wrote:Today's moan: able bodied people who insist on parking their car - often a 4wd - on the double yellow lines just at the supermarket door, blocking the road, when there are loads of spaces in the car park.Presumably because they cannot be bothered walking 100 yards.

I've known someone to drive around for 10 minutes looking for the best parking spot, then spend £1000 on a cross trainer because they needed 'exercise'. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 7621
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: ** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Postby al_yrpal » 11 Dec 2018, 4:24pm

We blocked Worral Thompson's car in at Tescos drop off point with our Village Charity bus from which we discorged a dozen old ladies supported on trolleys instead of their walking frames. He was fuming especially as a couple of the ladies gave him what for in no uncertain terms for parking there instead of the car park like everyone else. We took as long as possible. :lol:

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. CTC gone but not forgotten!

pwa
Posts: 10037
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: ** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Postby pwa » 11 Dec 2018, 4:30pm

al_yrpal wrote:We blocked Worral Thompson's car in at Tescos drop off point with our Village Charity bus from which we discorged a dozen old ladies supported on trolleys instead of their walking frames. He was fuming especially as a couple of the ladies gave him what for in no uncertain terms for parking there instead of the car park like everyone else. We took as long as possible. :lol:

Al

He was probably hoping to make a quick getaway. :lol:

brynpoeth
Posts: 10719
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: ** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Postby brynpoeth » 11 Dec 2018, 5:02pm

al_yrpal wrote:We blocked Worral Thompson's car in at Tescos drop off point with our Village Charity bus from which we discorged a dozen old ladies supported on trolleys instead of their walking frames. He was fuming especially as a couple of the ladies gave him what for in no uncertain terms for parking there instead of the car park like everyone else. We took as long as possible. :lol:

Al

Duuno who wt is but Plus One for direct action :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life