camping chair hunt

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Graham

Re: camping chair hunt

Post by Graham »

Thanks Andrew. I had not actually thought about use inside my tent.

The Helinox "groundsheet", for the Chair Zero, should solve the tent groundsheet puncture problem.

I'll have to test the overall chair height when I put the tent up next time.

EDIT . . . Only just !!!

TentChair.JPG
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

andrew_s wrote:
Graham wrote:Having looked at a few of the Utube comparative reviews I decided that the H.Groundchair & A.Mayfly were too low.
I did not like the idea of my legs being low down in the insect jungle territory - Insects like to bite, sting and suck(!) me.

The advantage of the Ground Chair or Mayfly is that they are low enough to be usable inside the tent, and won't punch holes in the groundsheet if you do. Handy if it's raining.

Lot of people are seriously not considering this important point.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I purchased a Helinox Ground Chair yesterday and whilst it’s only its 2nd day of use, I love it. Be better if more campsites had picnic tables but they don’t so Ground Chair seemed best alternative.

Ian
Graham

Post by Graham »

How much lower is the Ground Chair and/or Alite Mayfly compared with the Chair ZERO ?

Graham wrote:EDIT : This Youtube review answers the question. Stand down with your tape measure.
https://youtu.be/-3g0fT0hWnE

i.e. can you estimate the distance between your bum and the ground when sitting ?
. . . . . .
( That will help me to estimate how much more latitude a lower chair would be inside my tent.
As you can see from above, my head is already touching the top of the inner. There is only ONE critical position that I can use with the Chair ZERO inside the tent. )

PS. The Chair ZERO is great outside the tent and that is where I will get, by-far, the most use.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

With the Mayfly, there's only room for a paperback about half an inch thick between me and the carpet, with the chair forward on the front leg rather than rocked back.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Thanks Andrew - for the speedy response.

A dedicated chair for inside the tent then . . . . . . this is getting expensive !!
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

I've found, with the Mayfly, that sometimes my bum does actually brush the ground. I'm a 100 kg dude, though. And also the temperature has an effect; in warm countries, say above 40 degrees C during the day, the fabric seems to stretch a little more readily.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Graham wrote:A dedicated chair for inside the tent then . . . . . . this is getting expensive !!

Yes, it does rather.
I got a Helinox One before the Mayfly, which sold me on chairs, but wasn't always usable. I wouldn't actually take both, and the Helinox has seen more use outside of camping (eg beer festivals).
The Mayfly is better not just when it's raining, but also when there's a cold wind blowing and I want to sit in the porch part of the tent for shelter.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Graham wrote:How much lower is the Ground Chair and/or Alite Mayfly compared with the Chair ZERO ?

I don’t have a tape measure with me but I can’t quite slide a 33cl can of drink on its side under me when sitting in my Ground Chair. Kit’s close and I can rol it under is I don’t put my whole weight in the chair.

Maybe a better measure is I can just put my GPS on it’s side with a bit of clearance and manufacturer says that dimension of the GPS is 58mm.

Sorry for being imprecise.

Ian
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

what about this sort of thing or the sofa bed version.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Inflatable-a ... chair.TRS0

basically a massive dry bag so you can store extra kit in there.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

crazydave789 wrote:what about this sort of thing or the sofa bed version.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Inflatable-a ... chair.TRS0

basically a massive dry bag so you can store extra kit in there.

I admit THAT looks tempting! Great thread anyhow- I have feeling now for the head height required for tent seating and beer can clearance for the ground.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I would note that the Ground Chair is no longer listed on the Helinox website, though it's still widely available at present.

Anyone wanting a lightweight chair for inside-tent use next summer may be advised to act sooner rather than later, especially as the Alite Mayfly chair also seems to be mostly unavailable or out of stock
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

get a hammock, the best camping seat ever
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Apologies if already posted upthread but came across this recently.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/oex-ultra- ... ir-p362066

an additional 10 per cent off at the mo with a code I think.

I wouldn't say it is ultralightweight (seem to remember the tag said 1.25kg maybe a tad more - can't see info online) but

it seemed well made and it was also pretty comfortable - I tried it instore.

It also has a slight rocking mechanism, allowing you to stay in the chain while leaning forwards to see to a cooking pot or whatever - one of the reviews refers to this feature so I am assuming it wasn't a sign of an imminent collapse.

The review in general seem positive.

Have always somewhat poo pooed the idea of a camping chair for cycle touring and would probably prefer something simpler that was closer to the ground, but I may in time be tempted by this.
Sweep
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

mercalia wrote:get a hammock, the best camping seat ever

If you have somewhere to hang one, they're great.
But even if you do, they're not necessarily the best thing for e.g. sitting down to prepare a meal. As usual, "best" requires context.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...