The late Michael (Mick) Greatbatch, Cyclist on LE JoG, died 1999

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
keithg

The late Michael (Mick) Greatbatch, Cyclist on LE JoG, died 1999

Post by keithg »

Does anyone know of the contact details of the family of a cyclist called Mick Greatbatch?
He has a small memorial at the side of the A9 on NCN 7 at Drumochter summit on the Perth/Inverness-shire border.
This says he died in August 1999 cycling on a LEJoG.
I’m one of the local Sustrans rangers for this patch and with the planned A9 dualling taking place in the next year or two, I wanted to give someone who knew and cared about him a heads-up that the memorial would need to be moved to an alternative site before its buried by the huge civil engineering project involved in the dualling. This site, at the summit of the pass, is narrow and trying to fit a new dual carriageway, the railway and a bike track means the whole area will be dug up in the next few years.
I live locally and could move the plaque or keep it safe until the works are over or perhaps someone on the forum might know of his family or those who knew him and they might like to look after it and place it in a new site when the works are over.
I cant find out much about him on the web, surprisingly.
Thanks.
Keith
Last edited by keithg on 7 Aug 2018, 12:31pm, edited 2 times in total.
philvantwo

Re: The late Michael (Mick) Greatbatch, died 1999

Post by philvantwo »

You could try Alan Godfrey maps, I'm sure the late Michael Greatbatch wrote a few paragraphs for some old OS maps that they printed a few years back.
RickH

Post by RickH »

A quick Google on the name Mick Great batch & came up with this article from Castleford Tigers in 2010 featuring his daughter. That might give you someleads to follow up.
in 2010 Castleford Tigers wrote: Castleford Tigers Cheerleaders, ‘The Claws' will be taking part in the Starlight Walk fundraising event for the Prince of Wales Hospice later this month....

...Michaela Anderson, Community Dance Officer at Castleford Tigers, whose husband Grant Anderson is a retired Tigers player, explains why she particularly wanted to help the Hospice:

"My dad Mick Greatbatch was big supporter of the Hospice. He died 11 years ago when he was only 50 years old. He worked at Hicksons in Castleford and organised annual bike rides from John O' Groats to Land's End.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
keithg

Post by keithg »

Thanks for that.
I was hoping to have a direct contact initiated by one of the family before I start approaching folk “out of the blue”. Not because its easier, it just seemed a more sensitive way to go about things.
keithg

Post by keithg »

RickH wrote:A quick Google on the name Mick Great batch & came up with this article from Castleford Tigers in 2010 featuring his daughter. That might give you someleads to follow up.
in 2010 Castleford Tigers wrote: Castleford Tigers Cheerleaders, ‘The Claws' will be taking part in the Starlight Walk fundraising event for the Prince of Wales Hospice later this month....

...Michaela Anderson, Community Dance Officer at Castleford Tigers, whose husband Grant Anderson is a retired Tigers player, explains why she particularly wanted to help the Hospice:

"My dad Mick Greatbatch was big supporter of the Hospice. He died 11 years ago when he was only 50 years old. He worked at Hicksons in Castleford and organised annual bike rides from John O' Groats to Land's End.

I managed to contact the family using one of these links, thanks.
Plans are afoot to sort this out.
hondated

Re: The late Michael (Mick) Greatbatch, Cyclist on LE JoG, died 1999

Post by hondated »

keithg wrote:Does anyone know of the contact details of the family of a cyclist called Mick Greatbatch?
He has a small memorial at the side of the A9 on NCN 7 at Drumochter summit on the Perth/Inverness-shire border.
This says he died in August 1999 cycling on a LEJoG.
I’m one of the local Sustrans rangers for this patch and with the planned A9 dualling taking place in the next year or two, I wanted to give someone who knew and cared about him a heads-up that the memorial would need to be moved to an alternative site before its buried by the huge civil engineering project involved in the dualling. This site, at the summit of the pass, is narrow and trying to fit a new dual carriageway, the railway and a bike track means the whole area will be dug up in the next few years.
I live locally and could move the plaque or keep it safe until the works are over or perhaps someone on the forum might know of his family or those who knew him and they might like to look after it and place it in a new site when the works are over.
I cant find out much about him on the web, surprisingly.
Thanks.
Keith

Nice gesture Keith. Haven't read on yet but I hope you get the information you require
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

What happened to him, was there an accident?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I assume he was hit by a vehicle. I have read
At the first bridge after the county boundary, there is a little memorial plaque, "In memory of Michael (Mick) Greatbatch, died 8 August 1999, cycling Lands End to John o' Groats, always remembered." His death spurned the Scottish Office to build the path.
http://www.gairney.plus.com/Cycling/Cyc ... n_page.htm
I think that should be spurred.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info