Road rash

NUKe

Road rash

Post by NUKe »

Hit a large cache of gravel today lost a lot skin from leg, toe to buttock, fortunately a lot of it is superficial, hospital has put cream on to remove the gravel and then dressed it with a multitude of dressings . I am leaking, not blood, but a clear liquid, is this normal. I am not in danger of dehydrating at this point and I need to go back Wednesday. Just wondered if I should worry?

NUKe
NUKe

Re: Road rash

Post by whoof »

It's normal for road rash to weep. You will loose more fluid by breathing whilst asleep.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Ouch! :?

You will get that 'weeping' with pretty much any flesh wound, perfectly normal, its the precursor to scab formation - you are getting more due to the large area affected.

Typically the road rash will start to scab up after a couple of days and you might find it takes a while to clear up as the body doesn't consider it high priority.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Ouch! Sorry to hear this!

Yes, weeping clear liquid is perfectly normal, as long as it is clear, or slightly bloody, it's good.

You will scab over before too long. It may still leak some fluid.

Your body is doing that to protect your wounds from breaking open again before scabs form. Drink plenty of water, and eat well for healing calories.

If the fluid becomes coloured, or thick, see your GP.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Thank s for the advice, I am still under the local hospital for dressing the wounds , going back again tonight, but I am back up and running cycled to work this morning..
NUKe

Post by crazydave789 »

NUKe wrote:Hit a large cache of gravel today lost a lot skin from leg, toe to buttock, fortunately a lot of it is superficial, hospital has put cream on to remove the gravel and then dressed it with a multitude of dressings . I am leaking, not blood, but a clear liquid, is this normal. I am not in danger of dehydrating at this point and I need to go back Wednesday. Just wondered if I should worry?

NUKe

perfectly normal its just the surplus from the body repairing and cleaning itself it is a mixture of all sorts from blood plasma to sweat from damaged glands.

the moister the wound the better it will heal as it can purge out any muck left over from the scrubbing, magnesium sulphate, sudocreme nappy cream etc.. will do it. the longer it is allowed to heal without scabbing the better it does when it is deep.