Belgians Don't Eate Ketchup

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
KTHSullivan

Belgians Don't Eate Ketchup

Post by KTHSullivan »

Opinion Needed

Out on my iron donkey this morning for one of my weekly “spin ups”. Chap shot buy on an all carbon job wearing a complete matching outfit, I think his sartorial colour coordinated ensemble was advertising some sort Belgian laundrette; although by admission my French is somewhat limited. I said “good morning” as he went past and received no response whatsoever, further reinforcing my considerations regarding his nationality.

At the time I was wearing a cycling jersey advertising a well known brand of tomato ketchup. Subsequently I consider he was so disgusted that (a) I was wearing a shirt advertising something that Belgian’s find so abhorrent they never use on chips, and (b)I was not fully colour coordinated to include socks, he felt justified in not providing me the time of day.

Or do you think he was just pig ignorant, with money to burn?
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
whoof

Re: Belgians Don't Eate Ketchup

Post by whoof »

KTHSullivan wrote:Opinion Needed

Chap shot buy on an all carbon job wearing a complete matching outfit

money to burn?

Why does having a carbon bike and matching kit mean you have money to burn?

Plenty of people drink beer in pubs which is around £4 a pint, you can get perfectly adequate tap water in a pub for free. Are these beer drinkers fashionistas, swayed like sheep by the advertising industry and have money to burn?
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

I take it from your somewhat prompt and fervent response you have a penchant for coordinated apparel, are you wearing it now, or is it reserved for the “weekends”? Perhaps the beer you speak of is also Belgian at £4.00 a pint. :shock:
whoof

Post by whoof »

KTHSullivan wrote:I take it from your somewhat prompt and fervent response you have a penchant for coordinated apparel, are you wearing it now, or is it reserved for the “weekends”? Perhaps the beer you speak of is also Belgian at £4.00 a pint. :shock:

The only matching kit I've ever worn was club kit whilst racing.

This article discusses beer prices.
https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/foo ... r-cost-uk/

The top five most expensive places for a pint aside from London are Oxford, Edinburgh, Bristol, Winchester and Brighton (£4.57, £4.35, £4.32, £4.30 and £4.24 respectively).
One of which I live in, none of which are in Belgium.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Nope it wasn't me l've not been anywhere near Lincolnshire today.
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Er, um, calling people names or assuming nationality helps anyone how?

Maybe he was just lost in his own thoughts. Maybe he was listening to something with an earphone in the ear away from you. Maybe he was concentrating on where he was going. Maybe he replied, unintentionally too quietly for you to hear.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Are you a Belgian? Do/would you pay over £4.00 a pint? Do you mix and match? Or just match?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

KTHSullivan wrote:Are you a Belgian?
Nope, although it's likely there's some Flemish ancestry, in my family. Don't think it counts for much.

KTHSullivan wrote:Do/would you pay over £4.00 a pint?
:lol: :lol: :lol: I live in Norway, the land of the £10 pint.

KTHSullivan wrote: Do you mix and match? Or just match?
A better question is, 'do I wear specilist clothing when I ride my bike?' The answer is sometimes. I do have some club kit from my old club in the UK, and when I wear it, I do make an effort to wear the club top with the club bottom. My other stuff is adaptable. :mrgreen:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Jeg bodde i Norge for mange år siden i omtrent seks måneder. Opp på Tromsø, alltid ønsket å gå tilbake, men på en tenner tror en pint ikke jeg vil plage meg. Spiked dekk er også veldig kjedelig.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

KTHSullivan wrote:Jeg bodde i Norge for mange år siden i omtrent seks måneder. Opp på Tromsø, alltid ønsket å gå tilbake, men på en tenner tror en pint ikke jeg vil plage meg. Spiked dekk er også veldig kjedelig.

well, £10 was a bit of an exaggeration, but it ain't cheap.

Studded tyres work well, but yes, they are kjedelige. I had more kilometers skiing last winter than cycling. We had lots of snow.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm losing track here. I began by thinking that perhaps there was some antagonism from a Flemish speaker but I see now I was reading much too much into this. Is the nub here that a passing rider did not acknowledge your greeting?
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Yep.