Is Trump Mad?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Is Trump Mad?

yes
65%
no
25%
maybe
6%
maybe not
2%
dont know
2%

Total votes: 143

Bonefishblues

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Mr Trump is very rich, influential, successful altogether, very healthy at over 70, does lots of sports (golf)
His subjects want to be like him

The European media are obsessed with him but what do we know or understand? How much do US citizens in flyover country know about Europe?

As I briefly mentioned last night, Ed Balls' programme"Travels in Trumpland" is worth watching. It brings alive some of the discussions I have had with my US friend about Trump and his support base.

That, and being good TV in its own right made buy an ex politician who has overturned many of my prejudiced views of him.
NEvans

Post by NEvans »

Bonefishblues wrote:As I briefly mentioned last night, Ed Balls' programme"Travels in Trumpland" is worth watching. It brings alive some of the discussions I have had with my US friend about Trump and his support base.

That, and being good TV in its own right made buy an ex politician who has overturned many of my prejudiced views of him.

Very good tv and definitely worth watching. Shows how some people really love him and some detest him. Also shows how clever his is in getting certain groups votes; ex military, gun lobby, rednecks etc.
Newton's first law; Large body mass and weight equals fast going down hill but slow going up,
So blame Newton not me when you're bored waiting at the top of the hill.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Pleased to hear that. Anyone else watching it? Last night's was excellent, I thought. Balls is a natural.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Mr Trump is very rich, influential, successful altogether, very healthy at over 70, does lots of sports (golf)

The European media are obsessed with him but what do we know or understand? How much do US citizens in flyover country know about Europe?

Our media is not terribly knowledgeable about US politics, law, and constitution. It's often more useful to read/watch US press/media. Tends to be higher quality as well as well-informed (exception, Fox) because it does much more in-depth reporting and interviewing than ours does even when ours is talking about our own affairs. CNN, MSNBC, Washington Post, The NY Times, all good places to start. And on social media, if you can find intelligent sites, Americans are often thoughtful and helpful when you ask questions about the situation over there, and how their constitution and laws work. I've learned a huge amount in the last year, and lots of things are not what I'd assumed to be the case.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Flinders wrote:

Our media is not terribly knowledgeable about US politics, law, and constitution. It's often more useful to read/watch US press/media. Tends to be higher quality as well as well-informed (exception, Fox) because it does much more in-depth reporting and interviewing than ours does even when ours is talking about our own affairs. CNN, MSNBC, Washington Post, The NY Times, all good places to start. And on social media, if you can find intelligent sites, Americans are often thoughtful and helpful when you ask questions about the situation over there, and how their constitution and laws work. I've learned a huge amount in the last year, and lots of things are not what I'd assumed to be the case.

Thanks, I will try that
But the European media does saturation coverage of presidential elections, goes on for months. I always thought we knew a lot about them and they knew little about us, could that be true too?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Flinders wrote:

Thanks, I will try that
But the European media does saturation coverage of presidential elections, goes on for months. I always thought we knew a lot about them and they knew little about us, could that be true too?

As for what they know about us, it depends- my friends there do know a lot about us, but by definition they are not a representative sample. US media is not known for its interest in non-US news.
When it comes to us, I've been there, once lived there for a few months, and though I thought I knew a bit, but it's only post-trump Ive been really finding out a lot more. Eg., I'm aware of the big regional variations in the US, but I always thought of the US overall as a long way to the right of us. But what I hadn't realised was things like the way their electoral college works, which has defied the popular vote and crowned several presidents who lost the popular vote (including trump, who lost by several million votes) pretty much always moving to the right when it defied the popular vote. And the Senate is also a right-wing institution because it gives small states (mostly right wing) the same representation of far bigger ones (many of them much more left). When it comes to the popular vote, the US overall is a lot more left wing that I had realised. And the majority of US citizens are in favour of tighter gun laws too- it's the noisy NRA and it's domination of political parties, especially but not solely republicans, which creates a different impression (though the NRA is now in serious trouble.....).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

And meanwhile... the drumpf clearly has a different set of rules, when it's his own friends and family concerned, than he has for everyone else.

Why am I not in the least bit surprised?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

661-Pete wrote:And meanwhile... the drumpf clearly has a different set of rules, when it's his own friends and family concerned, than he has for everyone else.

Why am I not in the least bit surprised?

He's the epitome of right wing thinking. Harsh rules that apply to everyone but yourself and yours.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

....and of course, it's piling on thicker and thicker.

But, sadly, this flak is unlikely to dislodge, or even discompose, this loathsome creature. He revels in every word of these accusations and allegations. He cites them as 'evidence' that all the decent, well-informed, tolerant and understanding people out there - the people he loathes as hated 'liberals' - are 'ganging up' on him.

And even more sadly, the baying mobs and ignorant rabble that still clamour after him, are going to feel themselves yet more 'empowered'.

Where will it end? :(
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

It'll end in tears, as evil always does. We can only hope the tears are his, the grim alternative is they could be the tears of a great many other people.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Given the doubts on the legality of the US actions over Iran under the UN charter, and the way that Trump is "weaponising" the US economy

..........I'm just waiting for the US sanctions against UK and other signatories for continuing to trade with Iran on the terms of the treaties that we have in place.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cunobelin wrote:Given the doubts on the legality of the US actions over Iran under the UN charter, and the way that Trump is "weaponising" the US economy

..........I'm just waiting for the US sanctions against UK and other signatories for continuing to trade with Iran on the terms of the treaties that we have in place.
The sanctions that he's threatened are against individual companies, rather than against governments. I don't know if this makes a difference.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

No sane person would bring back asbestos... Shurely

Yet........ he wants to make asbestos a thing again. Yes, the material that is synonymous with cancer, and that 60 countries have banned

As quick reminder, asbestos were popular in the early 20th century thanks to the fact they were cheap, lightweight, and fire-resistant. At the time, virtually everyone was using the material for insulation and fabrics. (You know what else used to be popular? Cigarettes, lead paint, and dumping industrial waste in streams and rivers.) It soon became apparent, however, that asbestos was an extremely dangerous carcinogen that caused, among other things, lung cancer, mesothelioma, cancer of the larynx and ovary, and asbestosis. Nearly 1 million people have sued for asbestos-related injuries, and by the 1970s the U.S. had stopped using them in most buildings, and banned them from products like flooring felt and corrugated paper. But the president has always had a thing for the material, and thinks they’re long overdue for a comeback.

Currently, Trump’s E.P.A. is considering a proposal—a “significant new-use rule”—that says manufacturers of asbestos products would have to inform the agency prior to an asbestos-containing item going to market, in order to give the E.P.A. time to evaluate its risks. But, shocker of all shockers, the rule contains a couple of giant, gaping loopholes. The first is that, according to environmental activists, evaluating asbestos products on a case-by-case basis means “the agency could in theory approve new items for sale that contain the deadly carcinogen,” if, and this is just a for instance, the manufacturer in question was a paying member of Mar-a-Lago. The other issue is that rather than requiring all new asbestos-including products to be reviewed by the E.P.A., the rule “would include just 15 specific uses that would trigger a federal assessment.” That, of course, means that other uses would avoid review. “This is presuming there’s nothing under the sun you could ever do with asbestos other than these 15 things,” Betsy Southerland, the former director of the E.P.A.’s office of science and technology, told The New York Times.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Words fail me (I've said that before, but I can't help saying it again):
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/co ... ccece5c938

I really hope this vile person doesn't live out his term of office. Because I can see no other way to get rid of him. OK - there are predictions of a Republican wipe-out at the mid-terms, but I have little faith in predictions. Even then, the presumed consequent impeachment would be a terribly long-drawn-out affair. He can still do unprecedented damage meantime.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Not sure whether this is relevant or not, but one of the Countries most likely to benefit is ....... Russia.

One Russian producer recently signaled enthusiasm for the American market.

Last month, the Russian firm Uralasbest posted on Facebook an image of its asbestos packaging that featured President Trump’s face along with the words: “Approved by Donald Trump, 45th president of the United States.”

The company is one of the world’s largest producers and sellers of asbestos.

One hopes that it is just coincidence, rather than yet another conspiracy theory.