Rear mech hanger issues

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
dougiegray9692

Rear mech hanger issues

Post by dougiegray9692 »

Hi all,
I recently purchased a 2018 Scott speedster20, after my last outing I lent my bike against a wall and it was blown over, it has damaged the rear mech hanger.

I have searched tirelessly on the internet and cannot find the correct replacement for my bike. I contacted the supplier of the bike with all the correct details and they have sent a 2017 version which doesn't fit.

I am at a total loss as to where I can get the correct mech hanger and get back to doing what I love.

Please help :(
Salty Seadog

Re: Rear mech hanger issues

Post by Salty Seadog »

First things first, get back in touch with the supplier and tell them they've sent the wrong one.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Its a nightmare finding these things sometimes. There is no definitive index to source one after market either. Is it beyond repair? Sometimes they can be successfully bent back to shape with an adjustable spanner, straight edge and a vice. I have done it lots of times and would be happy to give it a go - FOC, of course.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Even the most naff bike shop will have some kind of gear hanger alignment tool which can be used to straighten one of these if bent.

However, it is only sensible to straighten one which is slightly bent. Straightening a badly bent one runs the risk of it breaking at some point, something which could do you and your bike a lot of damage.
I should coco.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

If all else fails, try BETD.co.uk. They have a very comprehensive hanger finder.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I see they have a UK distributor who may (or may not) employ somebody capable of resolving your problem

Scott Sports SA
Branch United Kingdom
Unit 3, Baker Road, Nelson Park West
Cramlington NE23 1WL
United Kingdom

info[AT]scott-sports.uk.com
+44 1670712129
+44 1670712058
https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/company/distributors
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW the chances of the hanger being damaged beyond repair by the bike simply falling over are practically nil.

Rather than tear your hair out and not be able to ride, just straighten the old hanger and use that whilst you are waiting for scott to extract their digit and get you the right thing. It may be some time.....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

If you want help finding the correct hanger take it off the bike, take photos of both sides and post it here. Or look through one of the many eBay sites selling hangers with pictures of all the types they do. Search terms hanger or dropout and the name of your bike. But yes, if it's not too bent it can be straightened.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Wheels Manufacturing is a good source - here's the Scott range https://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hanger ... brand=6519

You'd need to order via the LBS - Madison is the UK distributor.

But - as suggested ask Scott first - my shop is a dealer and we find they are reasonably helpful - worth a call to them

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
TooManyBikes

Post by TooManyBikes »

One of these is well worth making, unless you feel the Park tool one worth the cost....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWdO4dnu18g

I have used my home made hanger aligner a good few times to cure mine and friends bikes with gear changing issues and rubbing chain/can't quite get the adjustment right type problems which are often due to even a very slight twist or bend in the hanger. even this very basic home made tool will show up any wonkiness and let you gently tweak things back to normal.
My name is Michael, And I have too many bikes.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

If you can be certain of ordering the correct rear derailleur hanger consider getting two.
rjb

Post by rjb »

You can even use your rear wheel as a guide, most qr rear wheels use axles with M10 X 1mm threading. Remove the quick release and screw the axle fully into the derailleur hanger. Gently tweak the wheel to straighten the hanger. :wink:
It's easier if you leave a wheel in situ as you then just need to align the two wheels.
I would only use this method for small adjustments :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
peetee

Post by peetee »

TooManyBikes wrote:One of these is well worth making, unless you feel the Park tool one worth the cost....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWdO4dnu18g

I have used my home made hanger aligner a good few times to cure mine and friends bikes with gear changing issues and rubbing chain/can't quite get the adjustment right type problems which are often due to even a very slight twist or bend in the hanger. even this very basic home made tool will show up any wonkiness and let you gently tweak things back to normal.

I would love to ' home made' one of these tools but it is entirely dependant on making the hole perfectly aligned and a pillar drill is not available in your average home tool kit :|
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

keyboardmonkey wrote:If you can be certain of ordering the correct rear derailleur hanger consider getting two.

It was only recently that I learned that modern hangers are designed to be sacrificial parts ie they say other components from damage by deforming. It was a bit of a learning process because I did it the hard way, trying everything else to fix one of my grandchildren's Islabikes before the knowlegeable people is Sowerby Bros at Mirfield identified the problem going only on my explanation without seeing the bike.

So, I'd agree with the above advice and more generally I'd recommend anybody buying a new bike with derailleur gears to buy a spare at the same time, ensuring that it was the right one before accepting the bike so the retailer would have a strong incentive to provide the correct one.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Their ability as a sacrificial part is limited. They are not designed to prevent damage to components but to drastically reduce the chance of damaging the frame dropout and hanger assembly. When they are hit It is very common to loose the rear mech into the spokes damaging both or at the very least distorting the mech so that accurate indexing can only be achieved with a new item.