Distracted drivers

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cunobelin

Re: Distracted drivers

Post by Cunobelin »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Two or more cops observing vehicles at the lights and catching the idiots red-handed
As easy as gathering rotten fruit in the autumn

I remember attending a race in London (Tour of Britain IIRC) and one way the Embankment was closed and traffic being supervised by the Police.

Range Rover comes along with driver obvious on the phone.

Next thin there are about 100 people chanting and pointing at the car..... "He's on the phone"

PC calmly walks up, takes phone and switches it off to cheers.

Then has words
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Many apps also have the motion detection.

I have used "Waze" as it is more up to date with traffic and obstructions.

However if you try to use it when moving it stops you unless you state you are a passenger
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Which is the point I was making. Let's make apps and all phone functions default to off when driving unless the user actively chooses to override and certifies that they are either not driving or using legally - and let's make this default impossible to systemically override, requiring certification every time.
I think that would be a step forward.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Depends how far you want to go.

I must admit that I have fitted my car with Amazon's Alexa

This means that I can control most things like music, volume etc by voice as opposed to using a screen or knobs my phone sits in the glovebox in "driving mode" all it does is provide the WiFi signal
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I too am happy to speak to my satnav. I have nothing so sophisticated regarding my audio, but controls under my right thumb work fine and do not require any diversion of attention.
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

Flinders wrote:I keep my phone on when driving, as I have relatives who may need to contact me in an emergency, due to illness. If it rings, I ignore it, but look a safe and legal place to park, then check the phone to see what it was about. I can't see anything wrong with that. I should add that I don't make the number generally known, it's just family and emergencies, so I almost never get a call on it. I don't have hands-free because it is statistically very nearly as distracting as if you hold one. And I make a principle of never having the phone within reach when I'm driving, even if I am using it as a satnav. I never touch it or interact with it except when parked.
This. Common sense and significant penalties for breaking the law. Drink driving was once "accepted" but education and police action have truly had a positive effect. Prohibition wrt having phones switched on in the car won't be effective.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G900F using hovercraft full of eels.