Non-recycleable plastic

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Non-recycleable plastic

Post by Mick F »

I hear that toothpaste tubes are a big problem.

What about Baby Bells?
Why do they wrap them in plastic film and have them in a plastic net?
IMG_0534.jpg

What else might there be?
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Re: Non-recycleable plastic

Post by 661-Pete »

Never heard of "baby bells" but do you perhaps mean "Babybel" cheese?

Certainly seems over-packaged to me and [foodie-snob hat on] I have to say, we're a bit more discerning in our choice of cheeses: Roquefort, Wensleydale, Stilton, Gouda, Gruyere, Chèvre, are amongst my faves along with a good decent Cheddar....[/foodie-snob hat off]

Back on topic. So many foods are over-packaged, so much of it non-recycleable: sweets and biscuits especially - you just can't get away from it.

So my question is this. We do make sure that all our plastic waste - all that's non-recycleable and all that we think is non-recycleable that is - goes in the landfill bin and hopefully does indeed end up in landfill. So - how secure are landfill waste sites? How much plastic and other undesirables does actually leach out of them and get into the watercourses - and ultimately the oceans? Which is where the main disaster is happening....

I'd like to believe, we're merely returning product made from petrochemicals extracted from the Earth's crust, back into the Earth's crust. Or is that too naive a line of reasoning?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I put all my stuff to be recycled but who knows what becomes of it? Generally the quality deteriorates, paper for example can be recycled a few times but not indefinitely
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

661-Pete wrote:Never heard of "baby bells" but do you perhaps mean "Babybel" cheese?
Sorry, but that's the way it's said, so that's the way I rote it. :wink:
Loads of cheeses in the house, but Baby Bells are nice and simple and one quick mouthful, but a pity about the plastic film. At least the wax on the cheese is burnable on the fire.
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I just wield the knife..... feeling peckish at 11pm...go to kitchen, get knife, go to fridge, cut slice off the Gouda (or whatever's in there), bit of bread or ryvita to go with.....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

661-Pete wrote:I just wield the knife..... feeling peckish at 11pm...go to kitchen, get knife, go to fridge, cut slice off the Gouda (or whatever's in there), bit of bread or ryvita to go with.....

But if you fancy the taste of a baby bell, why put up with Gouda?

I'm also a big fan of squirty cheese, no messing with knives (which are dangerous btw), just open ones trap and squirt it in.
For pudding I pop a strawberry in my gob then fill it up with squirty cream - yum!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Baby bell = American phone company :?

Can glass be recycled indefinitely? Uses a lot of energy I think
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

A lot of stuff goes to landfill or is exported to poor countries
Could be material for a horror movie, it takes hundreds of years to break down
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We need to put it all in a rocket and dump it all on the Moon or send it off into deepest space, or dig a big deep hole and chuck it in.

When we first moved round here, people threw rubbish and scrap down the open mineshafts.
I remember taking the dogs for a walk near Drakewalls Mine and seeing the wide open shaft with old cookers and fridges down there, plus numerous black bin bags and general household rubbish.
Neighbours told us that everyone does it and we should do too.

Just slap bang here, but it's capped and grassed over nowadays. I'm in no doubt that the rubbish is still down there.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Gun ... -4.2135524
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plastic has only been ubiquitous for a few decades, how was stuff packed before? Some of us should be able to remember
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Plastic has only been ubiquitous for a few decades, how was stuff packed before? Some of us should be able to remember

Paper bags.
Most stuff was sold either loose, bottled or in tins, if loose it was usually measured out into a paper bag (or grease proof paper for the likes of butter and cheese).

Back in the days when sweet shop simply had jars and jars of the stuff and it turned out a 'quarter' of whatever you fancy didn't make that much impression in the little paper bags they gave it to you in.

Cellophane was much more common too - and was made from wood pulp, so similar to plastic wrap but much easier to dispose of.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Steptoe and Son came by and collected used bottles, cans, rags, sold the stuff on, I bet the recycling % was quite good
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Apparently our local Morrisons is now stocking paper bags to put loose items of fruit and veg in.

I asked Mrs. C if the checkout operator had to look inside each bag to see what was in it.

She replied that there's a small window in the bag to enable identification of the contents.

I only hope the window isn't made of plastic. :roll: :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just chatting about the old days with Mrs Mick F and reminiscing about the mine shafts.
Also, toothpaste.
It used to come in metal tubes that you rolled up as you used it. These days, you can't get all the toothpaste out, and as they can't be recycled they are landfill and will remain in there for eons. At least in the old days, the tubes would rust away in landfill within a few years.
Mick F. Cornwall
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Plastic has only been ubiquitous for a few decades, how was stuff packed before? Some of us should be able to remember

When I were a lad I deliverd groceries on a bike wiv a baskit on't front . That were 50 year ago :oops: I remember humping sides of bacon into the shop from the fridge and the boss Mr Eaton de boning the meat and cutting it up for the bacon slicer to do its job. Two cuts I can remember "flitch and best back" sliced up and wrapped up in grease proof paper. Butter was the same sold loose weighed and wrapped in grease proof , same as cheese, I think they also had ham and I think pork . The blade on the slicer was always cleaned after use to prevent raw food coming into contact with cooked ..
Aye and biscuits were sold loose too.
That was a blst from the past :shock:
the thing with plastic is how do we know what is recyclable and what isnt?
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.